MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

destructor wrote:Bleh. Wuzel in final. Impossible. I want fight with Nanni :(
i can hardly believe it 2 :(
with such a small score :(
this tournament is full of suprises
no BBH, i ve manage 2 beat QRS and now im in the final :(

des is going 2 eat me :(
i ve never dreamed that i reach the final in the first attempt of marps tournament :(
It's good 2 be here with U guys :)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

zlk wrote:Destructor, amazing performance in reactor! That is a very nice score.
Thanks.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

destructor, that beats all TG listed scores for Reactor. If K3 is using same settings as TG has for the game...which I think is the factory default..you should submit that as a new record.

It destroys all MAME scores for it...but also beats the arcade records for it listed at TG.

I see why you perhaps fine it boring....cuz you have essentially mastered the game. Most games once mastered get sort of boring.

You should go for 1+ million though and submit that to TG. You 673k score would already be very impressive...but 1 million for that game would blow the roof off.

It would be cool to see if the game turns over at 1 million or not.
Man, I'm definitely gonna have to play some Reactor now...but won't watch your inp. :P
JoustGod
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Congrats to destructor

Post by JoustGod »

First off, amazing performance on a game that was quite tough to take very far. That is until a key element was uncovered. I'm not sure who to give credit to, but the circling of the vortex was absolutely brilliant and has served to bust this game wide open for those with the patience to exploit the game using this method.

I agree with LN2 about reaching 1 million on this title. 673K is incredible enough, but I believe taking this game to the million point level will be one of the top achievments in recent years concerning a "golden age" title. I can see where you can have an even better game if mistakes can be avoided. Thus, getting you to the million points. I am equally curious as to whether there are any unknown quirks that surface once crossing the million "line".

Questions for destructor after watching the .inp. What controller are you using for this game? Secondly, what was your method for setting decoys in the chamber?

Once again, great going to all for cracking this game. This is why it is cool to have older titles presented to those who may not have had the chance to play them first time around. It obviously brought a fresh approach to the gameplay and Reactor will never be the same again!
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Congrats to destructor

Post by LN2 »

JoustGod wrote:but the circling of the vortex was absolutely brilliant and has served to bust this game wide open for those with the patience to exploit the game using this method.
if you mean moving around the reactor the same way the vortex is spinning...even being partly in it... I gave that tip...plus after you gave your reactor page URL above I see you mentioned it as well.

...unless you mean something else...hmmm.
I am equally curious as to whether there are any unknown quirks that surface once crossing the million "line".
The only quirk might be earning extra men-wise. It would be interesting to see if the game turns over at 1 mil..and if it does...do you keep earning extra men? Is there a "skip" where an extra man is given out at an incorrect total score instead of a multiple of 15k? Many games have this kind of stuff happen when turned over.
Questions for destructor after watching the .inp. What controller are you using for this game? Secondly, what was your method for setting decoys in the chamber?
ehh? You watched his inp...you saw the method...not sure what you are asking him. You move mouse where you saw him move it...press the decoy set button....move out of the way....done. hehe

sorry joustgod..I'm tired..and feeling like a smart-ass right now. just teasing you.
JoustGod
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by JoustGod »

ehh? You watched his inp...you saw the method...not sure what you are asking him. You move mouse where you saw him move it...press the decoy set button....move out of the way....done. hehe
Actually Rick, I was meaning to find out if something other than a mouse was used for movement. I'm not familiar with what other devices MAME would support. However, I'm assuming that anything that can do the duty of a mouse, can be applied as the method of analog movement in MAME. My thought being...could it be possible for a writing tablet/ pen-like device be used instead of a mouse? If that's the case, then the precise movement that was achieved in the record .inp for Reactor would be infinitely easier to perform.

Yes, I mentioned the spinning with the vortex over 5 years ago on that Reactor page. However, without the precise movement displayed in destructor's .inp, I couldn't even fathom spinning in such a controlled manner with merely a mouse. I can almost guarantee you that such movement is an impossibility on the coin-op counterpart as I've played it more times than I care to mention as well as watched players better than I! ;-)

The question regarding the setting of decoys has more to do with how he approached moving into the chamber with the invisible walls. As I mentioned on the Reactor page, I used to mark the entrance spot through either creating a smudge on the glass or even a small stick of gum to mark the spot! :D I did the same when playing Reactor on MAME. destructor just seemed to be so accurate when planting the decoy with only a few exceptions. Just curious..no big deal other than wanting to know if there are other clever ideas for this part of the game.
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

i personaly used mouse (optical logitech) and as far as i know destructor also played with mouse.
i tried use keyboard - no way, trackball - good but it was to little time 2 practice.
des method is amaizng - i ve tried 2 use it but i think my eyes cant manage 2 concentrate at my hero and .......okey glad that this game is a history
once again hugh good work 4 u DES - masterpiece
Nanni
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Nanni »

So i lost... :cry:
Good luck wuzel :wink:
btw destructor is probably the strongest player at MARP in this moment !

See you next time guys :D
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Congrats to destructor

Post by destructor »

JoustGod wrote: Questions for destructor after watching the .inp. What controller are you using for this game?
I use keyboard on first 3 elements to make decoys. Next I use only mouse.
JoustGod wrote: Secondly, what was your method for setting decoys in the chamber?
It's top secret :)

Thanks to all.

Maybe I make 1 million after K3, but it's very boring.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Not good for my eyes to watch your inp Des :P

You have to notice though that it's impossible to spin like that with a trackball. I would assume mouse is much is easier. And, if beeing very cheeky...I could allways put some markers at my monitor to find the chambers for decoy, hehe. But my point is that with a trackball you cannot use same tactics, so this case comparing to arcade scores is not so accurate.

Anyway, very well done Des, and good luck for the final!

Tommi
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

The TJT wrote:Not good for my eyes to watch your inp Des :P

You have to notice though that it's impossible to spin like that with a trackball. I would assume mouse is much is easier. And, if beeing very cheeky...I could allways put some markers at my monitor to find the chambers for decoy, hehe. But my point is that with a trackball you cannot use same tactics, so this case comparing to arcade scores is not so accurate.

Anyway, very well done Des, and good luck for the final!

Tommi
playing arcade games using mame is somtimes easier due 2 advantge 2 use mouse or other not standard controler
and ofcourse u are sure the yout manipulator is good and works perefctly - not like in old ardace sallons where u can see broken controllers or buttons and u had 2 play using them :)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

JoustGod wrote:However, without the precise movement displayed in destructor's .inp, I couldn't even fathom spinning in such a controlled manner with merely a mouse.
Oh, that's what you meant by "method"? What device was used to play would have been more clear...sorry.

hmm.....perhaps if you had a joystick where you just holding it all the way toward a direction then just move it around would generate a nice circle effect?

I like the idea of a writing pad device though...you could have a circle stencil on it and just trace that over and over.

Is that all he does for all of the vortex runs? Perhaps getting some points near the beginning but once the vortex is a certain size he starts the circling and lets the rest suicide against the sides? man, that would be boring... It makes real logical sense though.

...then you only have to watch out for when the vortex stops spinning and changes direction. I'm guessing that might actually be patterned so you can get used to when the changes are going to occur so you are ready for them.
JoustGod
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Dealing with the dreaded vortex

Post by JoustGod »

Rick: destructor's approach in his .inp wasn't something that a joystick could produce. That is because his circling (which I believe is always clockwise) the vortex occurs midway between the outer boundaries (where the active enemy balls/globlets/whatever...lol...are) and the center of the vortex itself. He manages to stay in a nice, tight area that avoids both hazards. Like you said, early on each of the vortex boards, he gathers a few points here and there before circling. However, he is merely biding his time until the final 2-4 boards where trapping the enemies in the chambers becomes worthwhile pointwise. Another thing is that he really piles up the decoys early on. Thirty decoys, in fact!

Judging by des's remark of his method of entering the chamber for planting decoys ("top secret"), I can only guess that like TJT and I have mentioned that a marker of some sort was used. Perfectly fine as it is something I've done in the arcade version as well as seen done by others.

Once again...great job guys!
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: Dealing with the dreaded vortex

Post by sikraiken »

JoustGod wrote:Rick: destructor's approach in his .inp wasn't something that a joystick could produce. That is because his circling (which I believe is always clockwise) the vortex occurs midway between the outer boundaries (where the active enemy balls/globlets/whatever...lol...are) and the center of the vortex itself. He manages to stay in a nice, tight area that avoids both hazards. Like you said, early on each of the vortex boards, he gathers a few points here and there before circling. However, he is merely biding his time until the final 2-4 boards where trapping the enemies in the chambers becomes worthwhile pointwise. Another thing is that he really piles up the decoys early on. Thirty decoys, in fact!

Judging by des's remark of his method of entering the chamber for planting decoys ("top secret"), I can only guess that like TJT and I have mentioned that a marker of some sort was used. Perfectly fine as it is something I've done in the arcade version as well as seen done by others.

Once again...great job guys!
I just used my thumb to remind myself where the entrance was for the bonus chambers. Didn't fail me after a while. :)

I think you could easily spin around inside the vortex with a joystick or trackball. It just would take very slow minor motions in a circular fasion. I'll have to play one more time to beat my PB of ~600K, try for 1M maybe.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

LN2 wrote:...then you only have to watch out for when the vortex stops spinning and changes direction. I'm guessing that might actually be patterned so you can get used to when the changes are going to occur so you are ready for them.
You never need to change direction. You can just go around in the same direction indefinitely until the vortex gets small again (either by control rods being knocked in or the end of a level).