Discussion about the MAME Championships
http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

Abbe
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Abbe »

saru3000 wrote:
Abbe wrote:That's it for me, this week. Congratulations saru!
Thanks, Abbe. Do you not have time to play?
No, life is still upside down. Signing up for this tournamet was probably a mistake. And the little time I play, I have to use a laptop with a trackpoint which is not exactly optimal for this game. :-)

And to the coordinators, I think the selection of games so far has been very good and interesting. Standard type games in new flavours mixed with I, Robot, which was a new experience.

Thanks, guys!

Or maybe this is just a strategical move to the losers' bracket. (Yeah, right!)
-Abbe
saru3000
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by saru3000 »

Abbe wrote:I have to use a laptop with a trackpoint which is not exactly optimal for this game. :-)
A trackpoint with a breakout game is a serious blister waiting to happen.
Abbe wrote:And to the coordinators, I think the selection of games so far has been very good and interesting. Standard type games in new flavours mixed with I, Robot, which was a new experience.

Thanks, guys!
Yeah, they probably don't hear enough good things from us. I've had fun with all the games and will keep playing most of them well after the end of the tournament. A big thank you to BBH,MJS and NotMan.

Best of luck for the rest of the tournament, Abbe.
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

BBH wrote:yes I know the K5 website hasn't been updated yet, I'll do it later tonight
:oops:
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

saru3000 wrote:
Abbe wrote:And to the coordinators, I think the selection of games so far has been very good and interesting. Standard type games in new flavours mixed with I, Robot, which was a new experience.

Thanks, guys!
Yeah, they probably don't hear enough good things from us. I've had fun with all the games and will keep playing most of them well after the end of the tournament. A big thank you to BBH,MJS and NotMan.
Thanks :) We've tried to pick a decent selection of games, and while it's impossible to please everyone, I think a lot of the games are still very enjoyable.
TRB_MetroidTeam wrote:
BBH wrote:yes I know the K5 website hasn't been updated yet, I'll do it later tonight
:oops:
does it matter? All the information is in this thread anyway.
Last edited by BBH on Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

BBH wrote:another reminder - depending on where you live, Daylight Savings Time could make 00:00 GMT occur one hour earlier for you.
You mean going back to standard time could make 00:00 GMT occur one hour earlier for you? I think that's the way most people would look at it.

Anyway...when (if) one is on DST, one's offset from GMT is one hour greater, meaning one is an hour less far behind, or an hour farther ahead of GMT than when one is on standard time.
John Cunningham (JTC)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

NZ went on to DST overnight, meaning we are now +13 hours GMT.

It's 2:15pm now, so there should be 22 hours, 45 minutes left until the end of the round.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

mahlemiut wrote:NZ went on to DST overnight, meaning we are now +13 hours GMT.

It's 2:15pm now, so there should be 22 hours, 45 minutes left until the end of the round.
Whereas you are normally on GMT +12, correct?

So midnight GMT would be noon (12 PM) for you when you are on standard time and 1 PM when you are on DST. I think most people would say that this makes midnight GMT "occur an hour later" when on DST. Perhaps merely a matter of semantics.

Anyway, GMT is always available here:

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
John Cunningham (JTC)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Weehawk wrote:Whereas you are normally on GMT +12, correct?
Yes, that's correct. MARP, of course, is on GMT, so that should be the defining time for uploads.
- Barry Rodewald
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Ok! Top16 players, you have 4 hours left on deadline. Go ahead and submit your best score now until the deadline arrive. Those who live the Southern Hemishpere with Daylight Saving Time it is 3 hours left (I think).

If you not sure about the deadline on 23:59:00 GMT, today. Check the time clock on the bottom of MARP's page. :)

Good Luck!

NotMan
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

NotMan wrote:Ok! Top16 players, you have 4 hours left on deadline. Go ahead and submit your best score now until the deadline arrive. Those who live the Southern Hemishpere with Daylight Saving Time it is 3 hours left (I think).
:lol:

If there are 4 hours until midnight GMT (approximately correct when you posted), this is the case regardless of where you are in the world, or what system you measure time by. That's sort of the whole point in using GMT. It's the same regardless.

That's a good one.
John Cunningham (JTC)
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

haha oops, I thought someone had told me that DST was this weekend, but... obviously that's not the case. So uh, disregard all that.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Yes, DST started in NZ Sunday morning. We are usually a few weeks ahead of Australia in switching (except for that one Australian state that never switches at all).
- Barry Rodewald
jbd41
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by jbd41 »

Congrats Nanni. :D

In case you are curious, I saw your new score, and thought "what the hell, let's give it one last try" after zhorik suggested it, had crummy gameplay, but somehow managed to get through the 4-4 boss anyway at which point I ESCed out and found out I should've ESCed out a little sooner.
Nanni
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Nanni »

Im in for 57s :roll:
really sorry for you Jason :( you are a better player than me at this game, so mine is pure luck (even without talking about the missed deadline), good luck for the rest of tournament :)

Ciao
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

ouch... sorry Jason. :(

results of this round:

destructor@HotTeam.pl (290,520) defeats BDFil (97,420)
gastrainga (217,270) defeats sikraiken (186,290)
Nanni (173,860) defeats Jason Dyer (167,070)
zylquin (325,460) defeats RAX@AIVA (115,480)
saru3000 (242,600) defeats Abbe (112,210)
TRB_MetroidTeam (232,120) defeats pat33999 (63,560)
The Pro (362,880) defeats Phil Lamat (182,610)
JYD@jvrm.net (300,570) defeats mahlemiut (92,730)

Matchups for next round:

WINNER'S BRACKET:

destructor@HotTeam.pl (1) vs. gastrainga (9)
Nanni (5) vs. zylquin (13)
saru3000 (3) vs. TRB_MetroidTeam (6)
JYD@jvrm.net (2) vs. The Pro (10)

LOSER'S BRACKET:

sikraiken (8) vs. BDFil (16)
RAX@AIVA (4) vs. Jason Dyer (12)
pat33999 (11) vs. Abbe (14)
Phil Lamat (7) vs. mahlemiut (15)

I will attempt to get an actual crude bracket posted up later tonight for visual reference, but no guarantees ;D

Now for a question. How do people feel about eliminating the "off day"? It would certainly speed things up in the long run, but we can't always get the results for the current round posted immediately after deadline. We don't want the next game posted until everything is finalized, so a delay of a few hours could end up shortening the round a little bit, and I think in a lot of cases it could mean one less day of playing for some people.

Eliminating the off day would of course also mean no more of the entertaining "Off Day Contests" that the #marp regulars have been sponsoring for fun. :( We're not getting rid of it for sure, it was just an idea to make the tourney run a little faster. It's up to you guys.