K6 - Round 1 - Part 2 - Pole Position II (test track)

Discussion about the MAME Championships
http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

alkey
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by alkey »

Since I keep getting error messages when trying to submit, here's another score upload.

I think I may finally have the hang of this.
Attachments
jfp_polepos2-test_31910_wolf119.zip
(30.59 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
"We are the music-makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

dbh wrote:I definitely will NOT be one of these people.
Ok, I was wrong. I actually managed to finish all four laps :)

And, I got almost exactly 10K more than my previous submission which is almost exactly the score Sawys had listed for me before. Maybe Sawys is psychic??
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

There's also the opening acceleration trick.

Start the qualification OR race in high gear. Then accelerate to 110s km/h. Then switch to low gear, waiting until you reach the 230s. Then switch back to high gear.

You'll shave about one second off your qualification time... VERY important when getting Pole Position and 2,000 VALUABLE points.
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
MJS
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by MJS »

gameboy9 wrote:VERY important when getting Pole Position and 2,000 VALUABLE points.
Make that 4,000 VALUABLE points 8)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

MJS wrote:
gameboy9 wrote:VERY important when getting Pole Position and 2,000 VALUABLE points.
Make that 4,000 VALUABLE points 8)
he's talking abuot 4000-2000=2000 the difference between 1rst and 2nd.
-skito
Agodzilla
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Agodzilla »

I have wrongly submitted a Pole Position 2-test track inp into the Pole Position scoreboard :oops:
please someone delete it since i don't know how to do it..
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

alkey wrote:Since I keep getting error messages when trying to submit, here's another score upload.
Strange, as Windows has no issue with it, nor does the standard unzip in Linux (which the server also uses). Maybe ZTNet needs to upgrade their version?

What do you use to compress inps?
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

dbh wrote:
dbh wrote:I definitely will NOT be one of these people.
Ok, I was wrong. I actually managed to finish all four laps :)

And, I got almost exactly 10K more than my previous submission which is almost exactly the score Sawys had listed for me before. Maybe Sawys is psychic??
Lol ^^

I wanted to encourage and motivate you unconsciously :D
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
alkey
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by alkey »

mahlemiut wrote:
alkey wrote:Since I keep getting error messages when trying to submit, here's another score upload.
Strange, as Windows has no issue with it, nor does the standard unzip in Linux (which the server also uses). Maybe ZTNet needs to upgrade their version?

What do you use to compress inps?
I just use Windows to compress. I had no problems with Pang submissions by the way. May just be something goofy happening.
"We are the music-makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

alkey wrote:I just use Windows to compress. I had no problems with Pang submissions by the way. May just be something goofy happening.
With ZTNet, that's not much of a surprise :)
- Barry Rodewald
Gaplus
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Gaplus »

alkey wrote:
Gaplus wrote:60530..

Why the submit option write "some kind of error with the zip file - couldn't unzip it
quote]

I had the same problem. Here's my first try.
Solution:

us they do not have any to be spaces(blank) before of after the name game in our case polepos2-test.

therefore it works!!!

:idea:
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

cmon, you guys don't know the higher speed trick?

I have not gotten it to a science...but when you reach somewhere near 370-375 kph...you INTENTIONALLY just barely scrape the edge of the road or very edge of water or come extremely close to a car when passing it and it throws you into that "hyper gear" as I call it.

what is more insane....only done and seen it once though...is if you can manage to max out that "gear"...and repeat the same thing...you get yet another gear that is so so fast you will crash on the next turn unless you do brake down...but then you have lost that extreme gear....so it has little use.

but yeah, should be able to get over 400kph.

I did not know about the start trick though in high gear....I will have to try that one.

I did know(maybe same actually) of one where you flip back and forth from high to low then to high again after a crash to get back up to speed must faster....maybe it's the same trick...just not explained as well as above. P
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

The TJT wrote:At Marp, TG settings should be banned at parent, Namco romset now. Perhaps at all romsets and tracks, since HP has some kick-a*s scores at default settings here. Phil?
uuuh, hp's are played at least at TG settings as well.

Notice how at default Redstar's time is actually a tad better than hp yet the score substantially lower....cuz at default...is easier setting...less cars to pass.

Redstar has an awesome time...anything sub-200 is awesome....but at TG settings that would be harder....but you don't have to be as fast to bear his score then. makes about 1800-2000 points difference on the settings.

I think TG settings are fine and should be allowed in general....see more amazing racing that way...lots more traffic and lane changing going on...in terms of MARP leaderboard....but of course not for this contest....make sure it's default.

you can easily telf if default used by just comparing score and total race time. 200 points per second..so someone 1 second faster will have that 200 more points...plus maybe a couple more cars passed so likely about 300 points higher. if you see 1 second faster and 2000 more points...then they used more difficult settings...so 40 more cars passed.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

The TJT wrote:At Marp, TG settings should be banned at parent, Namco romset now. Perhaps at all romsets and tracks, since HP has some kick-a*s scores at default settings here. Phil?
Well, according to Marp's rules, it's hard to DQ hp's input because it has been played with harder settings.
Or maybe we can make a split to separate default & TG ?
Question : is there a simple way to see if an input has been played with default or TG ?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Phil Lamat wrote:Question : is there a simple way to see if an input has been played with default or TG ?
After the INP has ended, push F2 to go to service mode. Not entirely sure if DIP switches would revert back to normal after playback though. Certainly to could try to pause at the instant the DIP settings are displayed during startup, if you're quick. :)
- Barry Rodewald