K6 - Round 2 - Tinkle Pit

Discussion about the MAME Championships
http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

2.658.040 - 14. Don Hayes (USA) (BARELY within the 24 hour limit)
2.051.820 - 32. IB Angelo (Italy)
Thanks, and good match Angelo!

But, "barely"?? Unless I'm seeing the times wrong, I had over an hour before the time limit.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

BBH wrote:I'm kinda disappointed that I didn't break 5 million... if I had a game where everything came together, I think I could have "chained" flags up to stage 31.
Chaining was the key for bigger scores. My question is: Did anyone get those 600k, 1m etc big bonuses at later stages(with savestates etc) when the chain had been broken on previous stages. Or in other words: Was 1m bonus related to chain not being broken?
If not, large scores would've been possible by simply getting far, even though chain would be broken early on.
Even with savestates I couldn't consistently get the timing down for the pattern H.T uses for stage 31
Wouldn't know about 31, since I practiced patterns only up to first boss(but still I missed the 100k at 21...).
On maze 18, even with a savestate I couldn't get it working 100%. Finally I had to make my own pattern which seemed to work 100% when having "fast" player on.

On Saturday I played many games only to notice that had hard time to get patterns work even as early as mazes 5,6,8...
On Sunday morning, after JYD's close attempt, I figured out what was wrong: Patterns did not work if you had died and not got that fast-powerup. Realizing that there was fast powerup lead to a comfortable score quickly. I never really realized why sometimes that line went to "zapping-mode" and sometimes not. Now, after the fact I think it was same as the "fast-mode": If you had picked star-powerup at some point and not lost a man it stayed on...permazap... Also, whether you were able to get zapping/stunning work had something to do with pattern you used.
(Hope you excuse home baked terminology in previous chapter)

On my final recording it was first time I played the boss...and moreover it was first time getting to space mazes...which definitely showed! But I'm content with achieving my goal which was making it up to first boss with perfect chaining(well nearly) and showing that boss who's the boss (wow, that was lame...)
JYD wrote:Good luck for next round TJT.
Thank you sir.
Marco wrote: I don't know if nice surprise or not, but I think there will be complaining about it
It's fine as long as it's from Brezhnev era...
Chufoglu
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Chufoglu »

submit 750.000 when sikraiken has 1675000 is a bit stupid, is finished for me. Thanks to Marco, Gameboy and Sawys for K6 and good luck for all
Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

Not at all, Potante (and also Saru)
See you soon :D

Well, I'm the worst coordinator in MARP's history but I must say the truth.
I'm a big fan of Don Hayes and I'm happy this year Don is playing a great K.O. :D
uhmmm .... I've to be fair, it's my coordinator's duty ... next round ... Centipede :lol: (it's a joke, of course :wink: )
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

I HATE DIG DUG!

Post by The TJT »

If it's Dig Dug I withdraw...
:)
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

The TJT wrote:Chaining was the key for bigger scores. My question is: Did anyone get those 600k, 1m etc big bonuses at later stages(with savestates etc) when the chain had been broken on previous stages. Or in other words: Was 1m bonus related to chain not being broken?
If not, large scores would've been possible by simply getting far, even though chain would be broken early on.
I don't think anyone got that far. Those items are the Namco character point items that pop up when you walk over a certain part of the level - they start out small, then gradually start increasing in value, up to that 1 million points at the end.

The problem is, if you're not doing the exact same patterns every game, sometimes those items show up in slightly different locations (since they tried to make as many things inconsistent about this game as possible). And if you miss one, it takes longer to get that item to show up again on another stage, so in the long run you'll be missing out on a lot of points... but, I couldn't really figure out how these items worked exactly, and why they kept shifting position. So I focused on chaining instead for my score (as did pretty much everyone else), since there's not much point dwelling on those items if you're not going to get far enough in the game for them to make a huge difference.
Metrackle
Mutant Puzzle Freak

Post by Metrackle »

Nanni wrote: ...and sadly this year we lost Metrackle, our mutant puzzle freak, on first round :( :(
Just my luck, seeing how I'm pretty much miserable at all three entry-level games (maybe I'd do well at Pang and Phelios if I had time and patience).

Even though I wouldn't hold it against the guy who selected Pole Position II, I'd be irritated if one of the upcoming games is something I'm awesome at.

As for Maniac Square (Prototype), I enjoyed it, yet the game could use an alternate turn button. Regardless of that flaw, it's the game the final product should've been.
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

Marco Marocco wrote:Next game isn't from Namco ...
It'll be really a surprise (I don't know if nice surprise or not, but I think there will be complaining about it :lol: ).
Sure it's a very important and famous title, imo
Well, for me was a wonderful surprise, because I adore the game and I play since my 8 years old. :) :)
Long life to good games
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: I HATE DIG DUG!

Post by LN2 »

The TJT wrote:If it's Dig Dug I withdraw...
:)
it's super zaxxon. :P