Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

K6 - Round 5 - Undercover Cops

Post by gameboy9 »

Round 5 - QUARTER FINALS

Game - Undercover Cops (uccops)

Target Score: defeat your antagonist and you’ll join the semi-finals!

Duration of round: November 8th 2007 00:00 GMT - November 14th 2007 23:59 GMT

Prize: 25 Euro for defeating your opponent, reaching the top 4 as a result, plus 5 Euro for high score

MARP’s top score: 683.669 (player: VXG)

Congratulations to the top 8 players! It's been a long a way to join the quarter-finals… now you’re near the end but the fight against your opponent is even harder than in the previous rounds!
This round we have an Irem game and we’re waiting for your howlings... :)

LEADERBOARD
http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... r_table=10

LEADERBOARD WITH SENDED SCORES : http://sawys.ifrance.com/Round5.htm

0.612.745 - (1) Innuendo
0.000.000 - (9) Gastrainga

0.865.165 - (4) XUR
0.934.934 - (5) Valter "TRB"

0.000.000 - (3) The Pro
0.847.080 - (6) Redstar

1.009.625 - (2) BBH
0.116.420 - (7) Sikraiken
Last edited by gameboy9 on Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

I never saw this game before. But it seems to be similar like Final Fight, right??
Long life to good games
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

INNUENDO wrote:I never saw this game before. But it seems to be similar like Final Fight, right??
Yeah.

So... a game I've actually played before and don't completely hate? I'm amazed, things seem to be getting better in this tournament!

Of course, still gonna have to work hard on this one regardless :)
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

Hehehheheee, BBH! Finally a game that you like!! :)

Well, for me is a very harder game. Remember, just remembers me KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND. I can´t go till the 3rd boss, yet.
Long life to good games
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

INNUENDO wrote:Hehehheheee, BBH! Finally a game that you like!! :)
You didn't hear him on #marp last night, obviously... :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Read my post again... I never said I LIKED it, only that I didn't completely hate it.

It's still better than Tinkle Pit and Ghosts 'n Goblins, whatever that's worth.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Okay then, this is probably going to be miscontrued as "BBH sure does like to complain about stuff", but whatever.

The Japanese romset would have been a much, much, much better choice for this round. The "World" version of Undercover Cops is just plain horrible, and feels downright unfinished in comparison.

What makes the two versions different? Well, the main thing is that the characters in the Japanese have a much more varied assortment of moves. You can do a special dashing jump attack, you can do different variations of the main combo attack by holding the joystick in a different direction, and there are different throws when you grab the enemy. In the World version, all of that is gone. Only one dashing attack, only one attack combo, only one type of grab. Having such a limited pool of moves to use makes the game feel a lot more repetitive. And as if that wasn't bad enough, the regular attack combo is damn near worthless because the attacks come out sooooo slowly... in the Japanese version they come out faster, so there's a lot less occurences of the enemies walking away (or hitting you) when you're trying to do a basic attack combo.

The Assessment Day stuff seems different too - the game does not award stars for the "finesse bonus" as quickly on the Japanese version, but then the bosses are worth more money. I'm not sure if it's easier to reach the game's "quota" on the Japanese version, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me.

There are some other cosmetic differences in the graphics, and the music is a LOT better in the Japanese version. The scoring system is different in that everything in the Japanese version is worth 10 times as many points, not really sure why and doesn't really make one version better than the other, but it's strange.

There is however, one more major omission on the World version that's led me to make this post. THERE IS NO BONUS TALLY FOR COMPLETING THE FINAL STAGE. This is a HUGE deal, because there is a special bonus on the Japanese version where it awards 500,000 points for each remaining life at the end of the game. There is no bonus like that whatsoever in the World version. All you get is 9999 (WTF???) points for killing the last boss, and then... that's it. The bonus for remaining lives is a fair system... without it, anyone who finishes the game is always going to have a score that ends up in the same basic score range. In fact, it's possible for a player with more lives remaining to lose to someone with fewer lives remaining but a higher score! I'm not sure if that's going to be a huge issue in this round, because I can't say for sure how many players are actually going to finish this. But I'm curious as to what you coordinators think about this issue, because I think it might just end up being a problem.

I know it's too late for us to be playing a different romset, but... ugh, the difference between these two versions is so huge, it's so unfortunate that we have to play the version that's vastly inferior in every single way possible.

Chalk this post up to more trademark BBH whining if you want, but I had to get that off my chest.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Can we add an artificial bonus of 50,000pts per life left if you finish the game just for this round? Or heck, can we just switch to the JP version if everyone doesn't mind? It's still early in the week.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

sikraiken wrote:Can we add an artificial bonus of 50,000pts per life left if you finish the game just for this round? Or heck, can we just switch to the JP version if everyone doesn't mind? It's still early in the week.
I think it's too late to switch to a different rom revision - they chose the World version and we're stuck with it.

I agree with the 50k life bonus though, of course.
Nanni
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Nanni »

Table updated ;)
but if understand correctly the last post of Sawys in R4 thread (and his post on mamescore) this is a classical knock-out round and no an h2h one? if so i think this is a bad choice :( i prefer the other formula even if you meet TRB on a SF game :roll:
Attachments
Immagine.PNG
Immagine.PNG (41.22 KiB) Viewed 11648 times
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

Nanni wrote:Table updated ;)
but if understand correctly the last post of Sawys in R4 thread (and his post on mamescore) this is a classical knock-out round and no an h2h one? if so i think this is a bad choice :( i prefer the other formula even if you meet TRB on a SF game :roll:
Sorry... I saw that gb or marco edited the first post so that it is a head to head round but like i've read it on the general rules, it wasn't written so i supposed that my translation was good. I must correct the announce at mamescore and the classification of my web page :-(

But i don't understand how we determined the head to head.

Not clear at all and imagine that i'm a coordinator ^^

One holiday week and i'm totally lost ...
Last edited by sawys on Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

BBH wrote:
sikraiken wrote:Can we add an artificial bonus of 50,000pts per life left if you finish the game just for this round? Or heck, can we just switch to the JP version if everyone doesn't mind? It's still early in the week.
I think it's too late to switch to a different rom revision - they chose the World version and we're stuck with it.

I agree with the 50k life bonus though, of course.
Agreed. Stick with World version and have 50k life bonus during K6 (not that I think it will matter for me).
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

Now my webpage is ok. This is almost like the way you made your table, Nanni :-)
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
Nanni
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Nanni »

sawys wrote:Now my webpage is ok. This is almost like the way you made your table, Nanni :-)
:)
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Tip for everyone:

Use your lives to get as many points as you possibly can from the 2nd boss. After your time is up, you lose a life, but your clock is reset back to 60.

A score of over 1.2M should be possible. Realistically, definitely 1.1M.

Also, why hasn't anything been posted about the 50k bonus per life if you finish the game? It's been over two days now.