K8 - Round 1 - Part 3 - Chiki Chiki Boys (chikij)

Discussion about the MAME Championships
http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

BBH
Editor

Re: K8 - Round 1 - Part 3 - Chiki Chiki Boys (chikij)

Post by BBH »

If you push F2 and go into the I/O Test, you can see that pausing, holding a button and advancing frame by frame will show that 106 has 1 frame of input lag, but 99 activates on the next frame. The 4 additional frames that are present in gameplay is Capcom's own inherent lag, they do this in a lot of games. I remember this number coming up when some people in the fighting game community were doing tests on how much lag is present in the home ports of Super Street Fighter II Turbo, and those same 3-4 frames of lag were there in the home ports too.

Regardless, thanks for allowing 0.99. One extra frame might not seem like much but if given the choice, why would anybody want to play on a version with any additional input lag whatsoever? I was originally going to ask if 0.99 could be allowed for each game of the tournament when round 1 started, but as it turns out Bubble Memories had tons of slowdown in 0.99 compared to 0.106 so it wouldn't have been wise to use it there. It would be nice if the rest of the games are checked for 0.99, though :)
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

wouldn't using an old version constitute cheating then?

you're getting a 1 frame advantage over other players, which probably didn't exist in the actual arcade.

(it's more likely MAME 0.99 had broken sprite buffering, which was later fixed, adding the additional delay you see)

The CPS drivers in general have seen a lot of improvements since .106 even tho...
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

As I mentioned before, there is no lag in 0.140.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
shoesama
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by shoesama »

Haze wrote:wouldn't using an old version constitute cheating then?

you're getting a 1 frame advantage over other players, which probably didn't exist in the actual arcade.

(it's more likely MAME 0.99 had broken sprite buffering, which was later fixed, adding the additional delay you see)

The CPS drivers in general have seen a lot of improvements since .106 even tho...
MAME adds input lag

not the other way around
The king of lamer - winner of K8
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

shoesama wrote:MAME adds input lag

not the other way around
You mean sprite or layer buffering? Not an unusual feature in arcade games.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Some knowledgeable people told me that OS overhead (and peripheral latency) add even more lag. With sprite/layer buffering removed, the lag would be more accurate to what the actual PCB has.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

People have done tests that show that even on the arcade PCB of SSF2T, the game animates 3 frames after the button is pressed. If you play SSF2T on MAME 0.99 and press a button, the animation also starts 3 frames later. If you play it on 0.106, the animation starts 4 frames later instead. How is it "cheating" to use a version of MAME that matches the original hardware in terms of input lag?
mahlemiut wrote:As I mentioned before, there is no lag in 0.140.
The input lag problem has been fixed for a long time, it was somewhere in the 0.12x's that it was fixed I think. Which is great and all, but doesn't change the fact that 0.106 still has additional input lag, and it's often considered the go-to version of WolfMAME for tournaments (and is the only accepted MAME version by TG). So I really hope that 0.99 will be alright to use for the remainder of the tournament, assuming there's no emulation differences with it like there is with Bubble Memories. At least please consider it, coordinators ;)
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Why not using wolf0.140 ?
The problem with wolf99 is that I can't playback inputs (I've got an "access violation" message) so I can't playback for example BBh's first place
oldtimes
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by oldtimes »

Sometimes coins gives you a X2 score when you take them; does anyone say the right way to do it?

It's random or coins must be taken in a specifical way (like chains in Gunbird) ?
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

mahlemiut wrote:
shoesama wrote:MAME adds input lag

not the other way around
You mean sprite or layer buffering? Not an unusual feature in arcade games.
And OS and monitor latency isn't exactly "MAME"-related ...
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

shoesama wrote:

MAME adds input lag

not the other way around
MAME takes away lag if you don't emulate things properly, and hack up the video hardware so that sprite buffers don't work as they should; see the abomination that is the 'lag-free shumps build'

When a system is emulated properly MAME has the same amount of lag as the actual arcade system.
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

BBH wrote:
Haze wrote: At least please consider it, coordinators ;)
From now, and fot the rest of this tournament, is possible choose 0.99 or 0.106 (optional) for all games.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

No 140 ? so I've choice between 0.106 with the lag, or 99 which doesn't work with Windows 7 :evil:
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

Phil Lamat wrote:No 140 ? so I've choice between 0.106 with the lag, or 99 which doesn't work with Windows 7 :evil:
Really? I was just about to upgrade and heard there were no problems with MAME on Win7. Did you try XP mode?
Aurcade - Find the coin-op games you want to play!
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

The_Pro wrote:
Phil Lamat wrote:No 140 ? so I've choice between 0.106 with the lag, or 99 which doesn't work with Windows 7 :evil:
Really? I was just about to upgrade and heard there were no problems with MAME on Win7. Did you try XP mode?
XP mode is for business software, not games. It 'emulates' a basic S3 graphic card, the performance on any gaming software is abysmal, and you'll get frameskipping and lag from the XP emulation.

Current versions of MAME run fine on Windows 7. Mame 0.99 is from the middle of 2005, that's over 5 years old and things have changed a lot since then. When using such old software you have no guarantee that it will work as expected anymore.

I strongly recommend that current versions are allowed in these tournaments unless there are significant proven reasons to disallow them (long-term broken drivers etc.) As I said, the emulation of many systems has improved a lot in the last 5 years. You're doing yourself a disservice by not allowing them, even if some users may prefer to use the older ones for performance reasons.