K8 - Round 2 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (pbobble2j)

Discussion about the MAME Championships
http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

oldtimes
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: K8 - Round 2 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (pbobble2j)

Post by oldtimes »

TRB_MetroidTeam wrote:Hi all!
By the way, good game for you Oldtimes.
Good game to you too TRB,i saw your records on MARP and i think you are a very experienced player. Hope to beating you in any case ;)
Massimo Gaspari
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Massimo Gaspari »

After a prolonged consultation between knockout coordinators, and valuted all of the aspects of this abnormal vicissitude, we decided between all of the possible options to reinstate Pac into the tourney.

It wasn't an easy decision and represent the only exception of this kind for the rest of the tourney.

From now on if both players doesn't send anything before the deadline they will be eliminated and a lucky loser from the previous round will be reinstated in their place.

Valid reasons about reinstating the player are:

1 - Cases like this weren't regulated in the ruleset, because it's obvious that you have to send at least one inp in order to advance the round;

2 - His direct opponent The Pro announced his retire from K8;

3 - From this MARP discussion it emerges that many partecipants asked him to be reinstated, in particular MJSTY that is his next opponent.

And now... ready for the next game.
el_fumador
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by el_fumador »

Perhaps this situation should have been predicted before.
Now the decision about this topic won't be decided following a known rules and it's sure that won't satisfy and convince everybody.

In my opinion, there are several logical reasons to allow PAC keep alive in this tournament. First of all, The_Pro announced that he retired and as he said PAC should be classified as soon as The_Pro left the competition. Second, Mjsty the possible rival of PAC said that it would be fair if PAC passes to the next round.

Until now only two options seem to be considered.

A - Mjsty directly to the next round (of course sending a inp)

B - A "lucky loser" takes the place (the best score of the eliminated people)

A. I could bet my head that Mjsty would prefer an exciting duel versus a powerful rival than waiting bored one week. A week in which other competitors are going to enjoy an amazing challenge. Perhaps Mjsty should clarify again his opinion about this topic.

B. What criteria are going to be used to decide the "lucky loser"? A random number between all the losers in this round? The best qualified in phase 1?

Edit: opsss... I answered a bit later than you.
Last edited by el_fumador on Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

Massimo Gaspari wrote:After a prolonged consultation between knockout coordinators, and valuted all of the aspects of this abnormal vicissitude, we decided between all of the possible options to reinstate Pac into the tourney.

It wasn't an easy decision and represent the only exception of this kind for the rest of the tourney.

From now on if both players doesn't send anything before the deadline they will be eliminated and a lucky loser from the previous round will be reinstated in their place.

Valid reasons about reinstating the player are:

1 - Cases like this weren't regulated in the ruleset, because it's obvious that you have to send at least one inp in order to advance the round;

2 - His direct opponent The Pro announced his retire from K8;

3 - From this MARP discussion it emerges that many partecipants asked him to be reinstated, in particular MJSTY that is his next opponent.

And now... ready for the next game.
Amen.
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

If your opponent states 'I forfeit' then it shouldn't be necessary to submit an Inp, you're not playing against anybody, it's just a waste of time. If I was in a tournament I would just assume this to be the case, because it's the most logical way of handling it.

Had the_pro simply not submitted anything rather than declaring his intent to quit then the situation would be different, with neither stating an intention to quit, but neither submitting an inp both would be eliminated IMHO.
TheBSM
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by TheBSM »

Hi!

I didn't say anything til now because i was directly interested, but now that a decision is taken, I would like to talk.

First of all i say that any decision of the coordinators is right, but also I agree with TRB when it say that "any decision taken will not be 100% correct anyway".

For me every evaluations need logic, not personal judgments. 8)
So, we have some rules to respect and like someone says, if The_Pro has withdrawn, PAC has no opponent, but from the moment that he has not sent an inp in useful time, also it, in fact, is excluded.

For me the most logical decision would be to send MJS directly to the next round. If then there was the desire to fill up the grid, it could be recalled a "loser", in particular the best one.

However, as I said, the decision has been taken and that's okay!

Good luck to all the players and see you again to the next K9, hoping we have even more affluence!

PS: Fortunately I wasn't recalled, because in games like "Ninja Master' s" or similar I am really incapable, really denied! :D
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

I'd just like to point out that every MARP member had a chance to vote on this matter... Last December during the elections when we were voting for KO coordinators. After that point all decisions regarding the tournament are strictly in the hands of the coordinators, and that is as it should be.

Being a coordinator is a difficult and usually thankless job. Thanks to this years coordinators for making sure the tournament took place!

-George

PS - Election nominations for this years elections start on November 15th!
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

While I hate to see a great player (and fellow TCACTRM member) drop out, forfeiting was his choice and I agree that PAC moving on was the right decision.

It's amazing we haven't had a contingency plan in place before in the event that two players don't submit scores. I'm sure the issue has come up but I don't remember it ever actually happened. I also agree with the coordinators' decision that from now on if neither player submits a score, they're both DQ'ed. Maybe at the very least it'll get people who always wait til the last minute to submit something a little earlier just in case. :P
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

Zhorik wrote:PS - Election nominations for this years elections start on November 15th!
Why?
imho they are too far from the end of the year.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

Kale wrote:
Zhorik wrote:PS - Election nominations for this years elections start on November 15th!
Why?
imho they are too far from the end of the year.
Gameboy9 started a thread regarding the election timeline on the General forum in response to your question. Note that while nominations start on November 15th, voting doesn't start until December 1st.

-George
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

oldtimes wrote:Good game to you too TRB,i saw your records on MARP and i think you are a very experienced player. Hope to beating you in any case ;)
Thanks! Your scores are solid! And good luck for you too!
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions