[K9] Round 2 - Go Go! Mile Smile (gogomile)

Discussion about the MAME Championships
http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

Chrono256
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: [K9] Round 2 - Go Go! Mile Smile (gogomile)

Post by Chrono256 »

unclechicken wrote:Im gonna pass on this game I think, so thats me out of K9.

Was expecting more of a random game choice but they seem like they are all post 1989, are games no one has really heard of before, and are similar in game play. Wonder what puzzle platformer is next for Round 3?

Good look to everyone else. :D
What? "Modern" games are playable for everyone, lot of pre-1989 games (expecially Golden Era) are a real pain for many, many players.
By the way I don't get your point, the mechanics of Go Go! Mile Smile! are very old style and totally different with Magical Crystals' gameplay. I loved that platform/shooter and I'm really hating this maze/maze/maze game.

Also, in a tournament is good to see unknown games for more balanced competition: everyone starts at the same level and same knowledge.
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

What a coincidence. For the second time, I´ll play against Gastrainga. The previous time was in K6.
Long life to good games
Barra
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Barra »

@Chrono - I guess this game just has the same "feel" to it from the way it looks with the cartoons and such.

This game is all about patterns :)
Andrew Barrow
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I wholeheartedly agree with the poster who complained about classic games getting short end of the stick at MARP tournaments...it's a damn shame imo. Now when did we have a good old vector game the last time, for example...

I'd hope that classics would be the majority of titles in tournaments, instead of minority...

However I don't have problem with this game, go go smile, it feels somewhat classic, gameplay-wise. Guess because it's basically anteater with fancy stuff. I think this is not a bad choice at all trb.

To Chrono...you say that classic games are hard for many players...why do you think that is???
I claim that many classics are harder (than later games), test you gaming abilities in more basic areas - and their learning curve and increase in difficulty is different, more steep I feel. As I've always said...back then the gameplay was king and games were innovative - later on it became graphics and "extra features"...bosses, powerups etc.

---

Ok, about the draw...

I'm not sure if I'm happy with my draw...I played last round a little, because I didn't want to play the very best players of round 1.
I was around 48th of roughly 75 players - yet now I'm facing winner of 1st round! :lol:

...So I'd claim it might have been better for me to be do worse in 1st round...and be in 3-way against players ranked around 60...as I see happened with players who were below me in 1st round. So I think the draw system could be a bit unfair on some occasions...

Anyway, good luck Chrono and hopefully I'll be able to give you a fight. :)
dickmoreland
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by dickmoreland »

I wasn't able to submit a score for round 1 but would still like to participate. I should have a lot more time for gaming this week and even have Friday off.
Zicher
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Zicher »

Barra wrote:
Zicher wrote:MDF / SkoroLegal (54) vs (59) Zicher vs (S01) <Slot01>

Oh shift ... The only two Czech players meet head to head right in Round 2!
Now this will be quite a battle! :)

At least you know there will be a Czech representative in Round 3! (Well theres a good chance :P)
Well, at RotaxMAME MDF has some good quality score, while I don't even have one. My destiny is probably set ;).
flop
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by flop »

Hey folks, will a leader board be published during this round?

Flop
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

flop wrote:Hey folks, will a leader board be published during this round?

Flop
It's in first post of this thread, above pictures.
flop
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by flop »

Hi Tommi,

What i actually meant was, would a "head to head" leader board be posted? It would be nice to see at a glance who is winning each head to head match

Cheers
Flop
C.Hatchett
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by C.Hatchett »

I am not trying to be a complainer but I don't really get the way this was seeded. Its not a big deal but the logic behind not putting the lower seeds up against the highest seeds in the first round escapes me.
Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Barthax »

C.Hatchett wrote:I am not trying to be a complainer but I don't really get the way this was seeded. Its not a big deal but the logic behind not putting the lower seeds up against the highest seeds in the first round escapes me.
The lowest seeds go in a three-way tie meaning the players have to surpass two others to continue (though at the moment a number of them are only head-to-head). The higher seeds need only surpass one other player. Don't forget this is a double-elimination tournament so you have to lose two different rounds to exit.

From viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14892 :
For "late players" (or “newcomers”) that didn't play Round 1, they will be allowed to join in Round 2, however, the hard part is that they will enter in special matches, not head-to-head (2 players) match, however in "head-to-head-to-head" (3 players) matches :-) against some of the worst placed in Round 1. Depending of the number of players in Round 1, and the number of players that want to join in Round 2, it's possible we have some "4 players matches". We will try to fit these special matches in a way to not affect players best placed in Round 1. Details to be decided according to the number of players involved in.
Has anyone found a good method for Stage 10? It is the one where there are lots of stars in the middle rectangle and a string of them across the top. I often run out of time on this level because the enemies hang around at the top and preventing me from getting to the stars. :(

Good choice of game, Valter. ;)
empardopo
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by empardopo »

Funny Game! :D
Barra
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Barra »

Barthax wrote: Has anyone found a good method for Stage 10? It is the one where there are lots of stars in the middle rectangle and a string of them across the top. I often run out of time on this level because the enemies hang around at the top and preventing me from getting to the stars. :(
This is where save states for this game would be handy :)
Andrew Barrow
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

34 match? I thougth they were going to be 32. Any triple matchup in Round3 too?

And how Triple matchup in Round2 will finish? Winner only will advance and the two losers go to losers-bracket, correct?
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Barra wrote:This is where save states for this game would be handy :)
Save states don't work for me, in any version (0.106 or 0.143)
Anyone got luckier ?