Discussion about the MAME Championships
http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

Hunter Killer
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Re: [K10] Round 2 - Hang-On [hangon]

Post by Hunter Killer »

DeSangre wrote:Hi all, I'm tryiong to use my X360 pad but the sensitivity for steering seems to be always too high no matter what I do. Any hints?
Thansk! :mrgreen:
I had the same problem, just trained to play in high sensitivity. I used RT to accelerate and right analog up to brake.
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

Hunter Killer wrote:
DeSangre wrote:Hi all, I'm tryiong to use my X360 pad but the sensitivity for steering seems to be always too high no matter what I do. Any hints?
Thansk! :mrgreen:
I had the same problem, just trained to play in high sensitivity. I used RT to accelerate and right analog up to brake.
Same for me with analog stick, impossible to change the settings (doesn't apply on analog...). Obliged to train a lot.
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

ok, i downloaded a new copy and it works.
cheers for those who messaged me.
i wonder how many more i need to get new copies of? what a nuisance!
good luck everybody!
:D
Agodzilla
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Agodzilla »

For those of You Guys that are using an X360 joypad for windows i suggest to enter in analog controls(by pressing TAB during the game) and set the paddle digital speed and the paddle autocenter speed to zero.
This will slowdown a little bit the "on/off" effect that you have by touching the left analog stick.
Hope this help.

Hi Sebastien! :D
We'll met again @ a racing game from long ago..8)
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

chrisbo wrote:I've just submitted an INP (made by Wolf106 with the "older" romset) so it can be confirmed by the judges whether its working okay. Don't want to spend hours playing if it ain't recording properly.
Score confirmed, no issues with playback here.
sikraiken wrote:If anyone cares, you can crash into the "G" in Hang-On on stage 4 to get +20sec.
If this is a trick, it might partly explain the time differential for the world record. I'm not sure where exactly in stage 4 you're referring to though?
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-K0_1viNhE

Around 3:17/3:18 on the left side.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

sikraiken wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-K0_1viNhE

Around 3:17/3:18 on the left side.
Ohhh wow. Ok, I just tried it... works in both 0.106 and 0.148...

As to whether or not this should be legal for the tournament - well, I'd like to get mahlemiut and MJS's opinions before coming to a definite ruling, seeing how this has never come up at MARP before. Right now I am leaning towards allowing it, since it appears to be a legitimate trick, not a glitch. It reminds me of the whole "offroad" debate over Outrun, where people argued that it was against the spirit of the game but it has been allowed at MARP. Crashing into the G will not automatically give you 20 extra million points at the end, since the crash eats up time, and the player may have to slow down to make sure they crash into the letter. I am guessing it'll be an approximate 10 million point bonus or so at the end, and could also help players finish the race if they can reach the 4th stage. Plus it'll get us closer to the world record, which obviously must have been done using this trick.

The case against it is that not everyone may know about this trick, but if players upload recordings using the trick, then everyone should be able to watch it and see how it's done anyway.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I'm ok for allowing the trick, since it would seem to be a legit bonus, and talking about it here means that at least most will know about it now, anyway. And anyone else can always watch other players INPs, too.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
MJS
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by MJS »

I'm ok with it too. Great trick, I didn't know about it!
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

Agodzilla wrote:For those of You Guys that are using an X360 joypad for windows i suggest to enter in analog controls(by pressing TAB during the game) and set the paddle digital speed and the paddle autocenter speed to zero.
This will slowdown a little bit the "on/off" effect that you have by touching the left analog stick.
Hope this help.

Hi Sebastien! :D
We'll met again @ a racing game from long ago..8)
Yes Ago ! Nice to meet you again on a racing game but there are a lot of very good players here and with the discover of the trick, it will be a new challenge for everyone here !
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

For those curious, RedStar has demonstrated the trick in his latest upload.

This is going to be interesting since to maximize time bonus, one will have to crash into just the right spot without slowing down too much beforehand. This could also add an extra layer of frustration in trying to get everything just right, but racing games are all about persistence until you get that "perfect run"...
saulonpb2
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by saulonpb2 »

Last edited by saulonpb2 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
The Expert keyboard
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

For me this trick is completely against the spirit of the game, I'm a bit upset to see Rax lose his record like that.
I'm ok if you want to use it for the tourney, but for Marp in general I would bent on a split "hangon-t" where all inputs using this trick could be moved after the round is finished.
Maybe this will need a vote ?
Hunter Killer
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Hunter Killer »

Phil Lamat wrote:For me this trick is completely against the spirit of the game, I'm a bit upset to see Rax lose his record like that.
I'm ok if you want to use it for the tourney, but for Marp in general I would bent on a split "hangon-t" where all inputs using this trick could be moved after the round is finished.
Maybe this will need a vote ?
Maybe a Hang-On Time Attack only and an open Hang-On?
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

Meanwhile, awaken from hibernation, HAN uploads a Violent Storm playback (and what else?! I'm surprised) as 53 mil. for this round.
Complete of string "K10" and "NEW WORLD RECORD"

What's up with him? Can't that score be zeroed?