Using the second player to play a game?

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

I thought there was something in the rules of play that assigning more than 1 function to a key wasn't allowed.

In this case I would say it's fairly trivial....and actually slightly hurts them overall if anything....cuz you want timely ground shots to get get objects there...while firing constantly for air stuff if air stuff is around at that time.
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

And for Gradius games, mapping shot button and bomb button on the same is allowed. It makes very slight difference.

Francois
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

Mapping two (or more) buttons into one is NOT allowed. Even if it doesn´t give you a huge advantage on some games. A rule is a rule. Please try to follow that guys!
QRS
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

QRS wrote:Mapping two (or more) buttons into one is NOT allowed. Even if it doesn´t give you a huge advantage on some games. A rule is a rule. Please try to follow that guys!
I agree with you, but I don't see this rule in MARP's Rules Page. You can't zeroed a score if the rule involved is not in the rules :)

Francois
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Good point...there is nothing on it.

I don't think this is easily enforcable anyway cuz the person could just be tapping both at the same time in many cases within the gameplay....or in cases like Track-n-Field and HyperSports, I'm willing to bet more than 1 key are assigned to the controls so for example they can run a finger down a row of keys much like a piano where it will alternate between the 2 run buttons.

This definitely goes against the spirit of playing the game in an arcade...but little to nothing to know if that is being done versus just a great tapper on 2 keys cuz all the inp has is the command inputs...not what keys were pressed to result in those inputs.

...plus then you open a whole can of worms about how controls for playing the games in MAME on your computer are quite different from the arcade controls already...and those playing with keyboard versus a cool PSX type device or better have advantages etc.

It's hard to impossible to enforce any rules along those lines.
...so anything goes for bindings seems about the only way to go.
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

LN2 wrote:It's hard to impossible to enforce any rules along those lines.
...so anything goes for bindings seems about the only way to go.
Exactly, I think the same :) Furthermore I don't know if its easy to proof anyone had assign more than 1 function on 1 button.

François
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: Using the second player to play a game?

Post by giro-X »

Hello, I'm resurrecting very old topics (also \:D/ ) because I don't really want to create a new one just for this singular aspect I'm going to talk about.

Bubble Bobble 2P replays on Marp (not the 2P co-op, just 2P alone)
Legit, or not?
Even though we estabilished over time that there are plenty of games with differences between 1P and 2P sides, and don't seem like we put obstacles to them in our leaderboards... the real issue here is that, to actually use Bobblun in Bubble Bobble (from the start) you would have to insert 2 coins and led Bubblun to suicide.
So, the credits used are figuratively one but literally two.

Asking this because we have at least one case.
file http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/b/8/e/dyo ... olf219.zip
board http://replay.marpirc.net/r/sboblboble
(P.S. it looks like Paolo is ready/trying to overwrite it with a better one... 1P sided)
(P.P.S. it could be useful to know what to do anyway for future cases)