No
89%

Total votes: 18

LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Keyboard Only

Post by LordGaz »

I move that all inps submitted to MARP should be made with KEYBOARD & MOUSE ONLY.

This would put everyone on a level playing field regarding different controllers. No one would have an advantage for using a spinner for Breakout games, a joystick for shoot'em ups, a yoke for Paperboy, a wheel for Hard Drivin', a Lightgun for Operation Wolf or even trackball for Marble Madness :-/ etc.

This would be especially useful in tournaments where the players are forced to play the same games.

Thanks, Gaz.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

You must be joking? Or trying to make a point I don't fully understand.

Checking what u suggest would not be simple at all, and not even possible. Trackball is mouse. Hotrod is keyboard.

Anyway this kind of vote is meaningless and game-by-game-basis judgement is allways better. My general view is that closer to original arcade controls is better...as this is arcade emulation.
Last edited by The TJT on Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

It's nothing serious, just trying to spice things up a bit on the board :).
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Oooookay :wink:
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

....But, if you really want spice things...why tell you're not serious :twisted:
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

Well, if this would be approved, Gaz, Taz and SLA would rule MARP :P
QRS
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Re: Keyboard Only

Post by Mr. Kelly R. Flewin »

LordGaz wrote:I move that all inps submitted to MARP should be made with KEYBOARD & MOUSE ONLY.

This would put everyone on a level playing field regarding different controllers. No one would have an advantage for using a spinner for Breakout games, a joystick for shoot'em ups, a yoke for Paperboy, a wheel for Hard Drivin', a Lightgun for Operation Wolf or even trackball for Marble Madness :-/ etc.

This would be especially useful in tournaments where the players are forced to play the same games.

Thanks, Gaz.

[Shakes head] I honestly am hoping you're not even being remotely serious... you're inviting hell and damnation to your mailbox...

What next, you're going to say "I think NHL teams who are currently leading the game have to pull their best players so the losing team has a fair chance of catching back up or winning?"

[shakes head again]

Kelly
Just a gaming junkie looking for his next High Score fix.
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

Of course he is joking :=)
QRS
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

QRS wrote:Well, if this would be approved, Gaz, Taz and SLA would rule MARP :P
All of my submissions here are with keyboard and mouse only.

I do have a PSX style controller I have used for a few games like Robotron...but the lag in response of the controller from crappy drivers makes it not really that worthwhile to use.

I only use the controller for Robotron cuz it's really difficult to use the keyboard for that....plus combo presses of 4 keys sometimes won't register.

---addition---

I didn't vote for this one. Personally I see no way you could even beging to enforce any keyboard and mouse only rule anyway...plus for some games it would change it from having some great skilled play even if using a fancy controller, to seeing just so-so replays using a keyboard and/or mouse.

I think most would agree that in most cases the true arcade controller(s) for the actual game are overall better and generally would lead to higher scores for many games versus any controller in MAME(that's not using autofire etc.).
Last edited by LN2 on Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

Does anybody actually own a yoke? On second thoughts don't answer that... =; :lol:
Darren
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin wrote:
LordGaz wrote:I move that all inps submitted to MARP should be made with KEYBOARD & MOUSE ONLY.

[Shakes head]
What next, you're going to say "I think NHL teams who are currently leading the game have to pull their best players so the losing team has a fair chance of catching back up or winning?"

[shakes head again]

Kelly
Since this poll is equipment related...I think a better hockey analogy might be:

I move that all NHL Hockey Games be played with FIGURE SKATES ONLY!

:lol:
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

***PL*** wrote:I move that all NHL Hockey Games be played with FIGURE SKATES ONLY!
So we must be have a special rule for Prop Cycle too. This game must be played with a flying bike :)

Francois
Hunter Killer-DF
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Hunter Killer-DF »

A flying bike. LOL. Maybe I´ll wire mine in my room and start playing Propcycle...

Well, some games are way too hard playing with a kboard. And although you *may* play fighting games with kboard only, scoring is way too hard, because you simply can´t connect some combos with a keyboard.

And even here in Brazil a good gamepad is cheap, so why bother playing with keyboard only... :P
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

QRS
Of course he is joking :=)
mighty mouse
macho mouse
cheeky mouse
naughty mouse
mouser
mouse trap