Leaderboard Cut-Off: Discussion

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

kfx
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by kfx »

Quote Francois Daniel:
No, we're civilised here. If we must make a major change in LB, we must vote for.

Quote Buttermaker:
With the small community that MARP is the best decision can be reached with a discussion.

No, it can´t. Without a vote who is gonna decide what to do after the discussion has ended?

There is clearly different opinions (spelling?) about what to do, and they will not be solved in this thread.
storm

cpu : P4 3gzh
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

kfx wrote:No, it can´t.
Only if both sides have valid arguments.
Without a vote who is gonna decide what to do after the discussion has ended?
If only one side has valid arguments it's an easy decision.
There is clearly different opinions (spelling?) about what to do, and they will not be solved in this thread.
They have been solved already.
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

Buttermaker wrote:
kfx wrote:Without a vote who is gonna decide what to do after the discussion has ended?
If only one side has valid arguments it's an easy decision.
Yes, and who decides who have the valid arguments? The members by voting of course.
Frankie
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

Frankie wrote:Yes, and who decides who have the valid arguments? The members by voting of course.
Not necessary. Just read this thread.
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

Buttermaker wrote:
Frankie wrote:Yes, and who decides who have the valid arguments? The members by voting of course.
I've read it once, and that's enough.
Frankie
kfx
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by kfx »

Buttermaker wrote:
Ok, I have read this thread and I have decide to cutoff at the 7 place, you are right no vote is needed.
storm

cpu : P4 3gzh
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

Buttermaker wrote:They have been solved already.
No they haven't.
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

LordGaz wrote:No they haven't.
No? Then where are the valid arguments against cut-off after 3?

Ok, let's wait another week. Maybe they'll show up.
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

Buttermaker wrote:No? Then where are the valid arguments against cut-off after 3?
In this thread and others. I can't be bothered to cut and paste them all here. Aren't we going round in circles?
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

LordGaz wrote:In this thread and others.
They're not valid. They've been refuted.
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

I have read all of this twice now and all I see is two camps of people having different opinions. Both sides has valid arguments (regardless what the other sides thinks)

My point is that no side can make arguments to "prove" that their opinion is the best (in this issue). They can only describe what´s their logic and common sense tells them is right.

Some people might not even be willing to discuss a thing like this. They might have read this, made up their mind and are waiting to vote. Regardless how much one "camp" tries to put "logic" into his/her mind :P

Another thing is that no matter how strong an argument might be from one "camp" it can be broken from the other "camp" That makes more discussion useless. And that is just my opinion :) I think we need to have a vote here now, as I think we all have ventilated our opinions already.
QRS
SprintGod
Button Masher
Button Masher

You must take your place in the circle of stupidity

Post by SprintGod »

Humans are single minded idiots. This fairly trivial fact is preventing you from getting anywhere. I say 'you', because I haven't said anything yet. So I'll just throw in a couple of ideas and see what happens. :)

Variable cutoff
Giving 0 leaderboard points to the bottom --% of players for each game.
e.g. 25%, truncating the resulting value
1-3 players, no cutoff
4-7 players, bottom receives no points
8-11 players, bottom 2 receive no points
12-15 players, bottom 3 receive no points
...etc

This might work better than a fixed value in regard to the more popular games, where the top few places might be saturated with ridiculously high scores.

Bugger it all
I'd personally prefer it if points were scrapped completely, and the leaderboard was ordered on the number of 1sts, then 2nds, then 3rds, all the way down until you run out of positions.

Edit: My first line just about summarises part of the post QRS sneaked in before me :)
Some people are never going to change their opinions, so the way I see it the best that can be done is to present new ideas instead of repeatedly going over old ones.
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

SprintGod, I do have an open mind about this, I'm just in an argumentative mood :).

Buttermaker, it seems like you're using rule 2l as leverage for your argument. Remove that rule and your argument crumbles to dust. Let's get rid of rule 2l! Simple :).

Gaz.
SprintGod
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by SprintGod »

I was about to make a really long post detailing my view on the matter, but then remembered how much I hate reading LN2's posts. So here's the shortened version:

If it isn't in [or at least close to] 1st place, it doesn't exist.
There are a few exceptions, but that's a pretty good summary considering how long this post was going to be. :D

I do not respect people for making an effort. Effort is wasted unless it results in something worthwhile.
Zwaxy
MARP Founder

Re: You must take your place in the circle of stupidity

Post by Zwaxy »

SprintGod wrote:I'd personally prefer it if points were scrapped completely, and the leaderboard was ordered on the number of 1sts, then 2nds, then 3rds, all the way down until you run out of positions.
That's a nice idea.

Your 4th place scores only count if you have the same number of 1st, 2nd and 3rd scores as the person you're trying to overtake. ABC uploaders won't be able to move very far, because their hundreds of 15th place scores won't help them get above anyone with a single decent score.

This is quite obviously the best possible solution in that it kills ABC uploaders with a single blow, it puts quality over quantity (one extra first place is worth more than any number of lower placed scores), and it still allows competition at all levels of the board, even between players who are unable to get any top 3 scores.