Leaderboard Cut-Off: Discussion

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Barthax »

Personally, I'd like to see the leaderboard scrapped, as it causes too many arguments & discussions full of absolute drivel. :)
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

Nothing wrong with the leaderboard. The problem is, and has always been those that care too much about it. There are plenty of those people at MARP..ABC uploaders yes, but also those that tries to make it better. Why? Simple.. the moment those people start complaining about things, it shows that they do care about the leaderboard, instead of ignoring it or take it for what it is... just a simple funny thing, nothing more. If you want to see skill, you will know what recording/player that produces that regardless of his place on the leaderboard.

Don´t take me wrong though.. I don´t say anything of the above is wrong, I just say it is different ways of taking notice of the leaderboard.

There will never be a way to show pure skill through a leaderboard. That is a fact on MARP, and in any other place. It is possible to come closer though :P
QRS
kfx
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by kfx »

SprintGod wrote:
I'd personally prefer it if points were scrapped completely, and the leaderboard was ordered on the number of 1sts, then 2nds, then 3rds, all the way down until you run out of positions.

Like that idea :D
storm

cpu : P4 3gzh
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: You must take your place in the circle of stupidity

Post by The TJT »

Zwaxy wrote:
SprintGod wrote:I'd personally prefer it if points were scrapped completely, and the leaderboard was ordered on the number of 1sts, then 2nds, then 3rds, all the way down until you run out of positions.
That's a nice idea.

Your 4th place scores only count if you have the same number of 1st, 2nd and 3rd scores as the person you're trying to overtake. ABC uploaders won't be able to move very far, because their hundreds of 15th place scores won't help them get above anyone with a single decent score.

This is quite obviously the best possible solution in that it kills ABC uploaders with a single blow, it puts quality over quantity (one extra first place is worth more than any number of lower placed scores), and it still allows competition at all levels of the board, even between players who are unable to get any top 3 scores.
Agreed.

TJT
I hope Paul Hunter will win players championship, he had gotten a new fan this week! :P
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re....

Post by AL »

Sorry , can't make a decent contribution to this thread . Head's a bit fucked up with some recent deaths of some friends of mine .

Aside from the confusion ,the elongated threads , and all the counter-arguments from both camps , still can't make me mind up as to what I think is the best option here . Although the last one posted by Zwaxy sounds ok . Thats not to say another option will sound better fifty posts down the line...??

Back another time ,

AL

p.s Tommi you dissappoint me ? You now like Paul Hunter ? Hmm...considering Jimmy White has made it to the final in great style , and Irelands own Ken Doherty ( as of writing ) is in in trouble . I think you are jealous that Ken bet Hendry !
Hunter is a great player though .
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: re....

Post by The TJT »

AL wrote: p.s Tommi you dissappoint me ? You now like Paul Hunter ? Hmm...considering Jimmy White has made it to the final in great style , and Irelands own Ken Doherty ( as of writing ) is in in trouble . I think you are jealous that Ken bet Hendry !
Hunter is a great player though .
Hehe, well, Ken is a great player. Hunter beated him with surprising ease...this time. I think previously at some match between Ken and Stephen, Stephen made something like 5 centuries...and was leading only 5-4!
I just think that Hunter has been playing very very solid and potting like crazy, and should deserve to win(after Hendry's out ;o/ )...Being at very good form at the moment he propably will win tomorrow...But it's allways a little risky to bet against Jimmy :?

Yes, I see myself enjoying very much watching Hunter play on the form he has been showing lately...And he has head little "sideways", about same way I have when playing snooker or pool!

Tommi
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

Zwaxy wrote:
SprintGod wrote:I'd personally prefer it if points were scrapped completely, and the leaderboard was ordered on the number of 1sts, then 2nds, then 3rds, all the way down until you run out of positions.
That's a nice idea.

Your 4th place scores only count if you have the same number of 1st, 2nd and 3rd scores as the person you're trying to overtake. ABC uploaders won't be able to move very far, because their hundreds of 15th place scores won't help them get above anyone with a single decent score.

This is quite obviously the best possible solution in that it kills ABC uploaders with a single blow, it puts quality over quantity (one extra first place is worth more than any number of lower placed scores), and it still allows competition at all levels of the board, even between players who are unable to get any top 3 scores.
Great Sprintgod. It's the better thing to make. As Olympic Games, nations are ranked by their number of 1st place, then 2nd, then 3rd. We have just to extend this system until the XXth place.

I'll vote for it and everybody will be happy :)

Francois

PS : Sprintgod is the wise man of the day :)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I bet that ABC uploading will not stop, with or without a leaderboard.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Mr. Kelly R. Flewin »

mahlemiut wrote:I bet that ABC uploading will not stop, with or without a leaderboard.
I actually feel that it won't stop no matter the decision that comes forth in the end either. Granted it's obvious who these uploaders are... and if there was a way to ban them... wait no.. then comes cries of elitism... and further wars...

As I said... if there was a flag that could be set... and accessible only by editors.... this flag could be "Remove person from Leaderboard standings"
so that way, if these ABC Uploaders refuse to comply, they're flagged and their scores won't count towards any leaderboard standings. We know who these uploaders are, so it makes it easy to flag... just implementation.

No messing around with LB values or endless debates or discussions... 1 simple flag , 1 simple solution.

Kelly
Just a gaming junkie looking for his next High Score fix.
Mickey
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Mickey »

SprintGod wrote: Bugger it all
I'd personally prefer it if points were scrapped completely, and the leaderboard was ordered on the number of 1sts, then 2nds, then 3rds, all the way down until you run out of positions.
It's the most intelligent proposal which was made since the beginning of this interminable discussion.
Last edited by Mickey on Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MICKEY
SprintGod
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by SprintGod »

No! It can't be a nice idea! I never have good ideas!
N-E-V-A-R - NEVER!
Don't do it! It'll make MARP explode! It'll start a war! There'll be cries of WHAT FUCK? Noooooooo...!

Err... okay... maybe I overreacted a bit there. Never mind.
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin wrote:As I said... if there was a flag that could be set... and accessible only by editors.... this flag could be "Remove person from Leaderboard standings"
so that way, if these ABC Uploaders refuse to comply, they're flagged and their scores won't count towards any leaderboard standings. We know who these uploaders are, so it makes it easy to flag... just implementation.
No messing around with LB values or endless debates or discussions... 1 simple flag , 1 simple solution.
Kelly

Maybe I missed something but if Sprintgod system is made, all ABC uploaders will be always in the depth of the leaderboard. So, in this case, why you continue to be against them ? I don't really understand. They'll take no points to anyone, they'll never climb high in the LB. So, explain to me what is the problem, please.

And if you think I'm one of them, name me clearly please :)

Francois
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

SprintGod wrote:No! It can't be a nice idea! I never have good ideas!
N-E-V-A-R - NEVER!
Don't do it! It'll make MARP explode! It'll start a war! There'll be cries of WHAT FUCK? Noooooooo...!

Err... okay... maybe I overreacted a bit there. Never mind.
Hmmm.... I'm wrong, SprintGod is also the unwise man of the day ;)

Francois
SprintGod
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by SprintGod »

Ooohhh! So you're calling me unwise, eh? Well there's a word for people like you, and that word is... something that describes you perfectly but I can't remember what it is. But believe me it's a helluva word! :P

So... do I get a prize?
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

Yup, nice solution SprintGod, I'll go along with it.

Cheers all, Gaz.