New Olympic-Standings style leaderboard

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Do you want a leaderboard in which members are ranked by first place recordings first, then by second places, etc..etc..?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:27 pm

Yes, let's settle this whole issure by implementing this simple system.
60%
No, lets continue with the process of deciding how leaderboard points are allocated.
40%

Total votes: 53

Dax
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Dax »

Ive noticed lots of people suggesting that the leaderboard isn't important. That its not indicative of what MARP is and is suppose to be. That if you're just submitting for leaderboard points then you shouldn't be submitting etc etc....

If so why all the controversey, discussion and voting on this topic. Its obvious to me that this is a delicate and touchy subject for alot of people and should be treated as such. Implementing such extreme and drastic renovation to the system is the wrong move in my opinion.

I personally loved the leaderboard (up to this point anyway). Not only was it fun but it kept regular marp competitive and served as a useful guide in plotting your activity here. What the current system did more than anything was keep games that have been completely owned, alive. It was still possible to extract some points from a game in which 1st place was damn near impossible to usurp. What the proposed system is going to do is kill these types of games. You'll no longer see activity on a game that has been played out.

No, the leaderboard is not the end all, be all of MARP. It did however serve as an umbrella encapsulating all the activity here. Nearly everything that everyone did here was reflected in the leaderboard if only a little bit. A truly rotten player could play games here and be rewarded a bit and see his work reflected in the LB. The current system gave everyone(even the lousy players) a chance to participate on the LB. The proposed system will now completely exclude those players and turn it into a club for elite players only.
Dax
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Dax »

The TJT wrote:Sorry, my bad.... I don't understand two words....

1.Dude?
2.Hypothetically?

1. Is that the dean martin from movie with john wayne?
2. That is something not fact?
1. "Dude" would be you. Like "Whats up, dude(TJT)"
2. "Hypothetically" not proven but supposed or assumed for the purpose of argument. An imagined situation to illustrate a point.
MrBunny
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by MrBunny »

I think olympic style will make marp more fun for me. Now I will target the players above me and try to play a few games I hadn't considerred before.

The old leaderboard didn't really make it seem so competitive, knowing that someone with 400 7th place scores would be tough to beat, even though I might have 20 first places.
Dax
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Dax »

MrBunny wrote:someone with 400 7th place scores would be tough to beat, even though I might have 20 first places.
As far as Im concerned someone who has invested the time and patience to upload 400 7th place scores should be ranked higher. 400 inp submissions is right arround 10% of the games represented in mame. Thats quite a variety and shows a well rounded player compared to 20 1st place scores which isn't even 1% of the games mame has to offer.

There is something to be said for a player who is good at lots of different games compared to someone who is great at only a few.
Zwaxy
MARP Founder

Post by Zwaxy »

dbh wrote:Have one that does the proposed "1-0-0". Have another that shows "10-3-1". Have another that shows the current system. And so on. All should be easily accessible from the main "leaderboard" page. Which one is the default? Ideally, it should be the logged in user's preference. Then people can use whatever leaderboard that suits their needs.
That's a fine idea. Perhaps in "user's perference" you can even specify the exact scoring system you want to use. You like 10-3-1? Fine, have it. Prefer 10-3-23? It's up to you.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Dax wrote:
1. "Dude" would be you. Like "Whats up, dude(TJT)"
Yeah, but did you know it's also Dean Martin's rolename at classic western "Rio Bravo" :P
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053221/
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

Zwaxy wrote:
dbh wrote:Have one that does the proposed "1-0-0". Have another that shows "10-3-1". Have another that shows the current system. And so on. All should be easily accessible from the main "leaderboard" page. Which one is the default? Ideally, it should be the logged in user's preference. Then people can use whatever leaderboard that suits their needs.
That's a fine idea. Perhaps in "user's perference" you can even specify the exact scoring system you want to use. You like 10-3-1? Fine, have it. Prefer 10-3-23? It's up to you.
I like this idea too. I hope it's technically possible. All systems (the current one, the elite one or the olympic one) have their flaws and their quality. And I don't think the perfect system exist. So, if the user can choise his system is maybe the better thing to do.

Francois
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

2 cents coming up (for what it's worth!)

I've pondered over this Olympic scoreboard and I do like it but I've decided to vote against it. The only reason being is that I think it will kill off most of the competitive spirit and it's far too biased in favour of extremely skilled players.

If you can't beat a score by an expert Japanese player, or maybe someone who is willing to sit at a pc for 9 hours (god forbid) then you have no reason to come here. A bit harsh in my opinion but it seems that's what a lot of people want, fair enough.

Personal opinion? A 10-3-1 system is a happy medium, it still keeps the competitive element whilst not alienating some of the more average players amongst us.

I'm happy to go along with whatever the community decides, it doesnt really bother me, as long as you are all aware that over time it will get very quiet around here.

And while everyone seems to be quoting people,

Sprintgod wrote:Either say something intelligent or say nothing.
Sprintgod also wrote:The London Marathon is on Sunday. I think I might watch it
Sprintgod also wrote:Total 180... that sounds like a snowboarding move or something.
Sprintgod also wrote:I don't wear ties
Sprintgod also wrote:Whatever happened to Dolly the sheep anyway?
Sprintgod also wrote:Squatting benefits the gluteus maximus, abductors, adductors, hamstrings and quadriceps
Sprintgod also wrote:Is it teatime yet?
:lol:

..and that's me done with this whole leaderboard malarky.
Darren
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

If everybody have their own leaderboard scoring, there actually is no leaderboard, only a way to arrange player list.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Zwaxy wrote:
Yes, please. This is the best solution to all of this mess. Everyone can look at whatever board they want to look at, those that are obsessed with the current leaderboard can obsess over all the different ones at once.

MARP doesn't need an "official" leaderboard because there is no perfect system that can be devised to truly find the best player.
diabolik
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by diabolik »

Zwaxy wrote:
That would be really cool, if you can do it. Maybe make the olympic scoring the default system?
SprintGod
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by SprintGod »

DRN wrote:I think it will kill off most of the competitive spirit
ARE YOU MAD!?
People will be more inclined to improve their performances for the games that they are best at instead of throwing out average performances for every MAME supported game, because that's the only way that they are going to move up the leaderboard.
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

I have suggested that scoring system to zwaxy earlier (and the auto tips and trick page) and I really like the idea. The problem however is that all this started because we wanted to stop abc uploaders etc right? If we use the "personal" kind of lb, we are back to start so to speak. Of course with a better leaderboard, but still with hoard of 30th places :P

The 1-0-0 system will get rid of that though.

Comments please!
QRS
SprintGod
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by SprintGod »

Good point... Well I suppose if all the alternate sorting methods were entitled:
"THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL LEADERBOARD YOU SILLY PERSON"

Hmm... maybe not.
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

Zwaxy wrote:That's a fine idea. Perhaps in "user's perference" you can even specify the exact scoring system you want to use. You like 10-3-1? Fine, have it. Prefer 10-3-23? It's up to you.
If we go with the Olympic system only right now there are two possible scenarios:

a) It turns out that it's not really good. Then we will simply start a new discussion about adding or removing systems and about improving/changing the leaderboard. We will be able to look at everything from a new perspective including the knowledge we have gained about the Olympic system. No harm done.

b) The Olympic system turns out to be awesome. The SprintGod statue is about to be finished. We're all happy that this month-long discussion has led us to the Olympic system. But if you don't give the Olympic system a chance we will never find out. And that would be a shame.

So please, let's give it a chance and see how it works out.