New Olympic-Standings style leaderboard

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Do you want a leaderboard in which members are ranked by first place recordings first, then by second places, etc..etc..?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:27 pm

Yes, let's settle this whole issure by implementing this simple system.
60%
No, lets continue with the process of deciding how leaderboard points are allocated.
40%

Total votes: 53

Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

What you see right now is only a temporary solution. Zwaxy is about to go or is already on a vacation. He didn't want to implement the proper new leaderboard and potentially screw up something he couldn't fix while he's away.
welby1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by welby1 »

I vote for the new system, but it does still need some modification to sort out some of the betting, mahjong and similar 'luck' based games those should be placed in their own board, away from 'skill' based games. It's a true shame that having the top score in all mahjong/betting games would put someone in 1st place under this system(and this was true for the old board system as well). :?: Anyone else consider this issue???
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Then why everybody don't play on mahjongs? I don't forbit playing on mahjongs. Game is game.
Moleboy
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Moleboy »

My opinion is:

Leave it as it is.
I see myself as a reasonable player but not someone who can regularly get 1st places, if this new system is implimented there would be no reason for me to ever upload an INP and therefore ever visit this site again (which I would miss by the way).
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Moleboy wrote:if this new system is implimented
8O

Uh...it was implemented on April 18 when this poll ended.
Moleboy wrote:there would be no reason for me to ever upload an INP and therefore ever visit this site again
Adios.
John Cunningham (JTC)
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

Weehawk wrote:Adios
There's nothing like welcoming new players to Marp is there? :roll:
Darren
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

moleboy is alright.
hang around man .

jtc , the new olympic leaderboard is good .
i was able to look at it one time on april 27
noticed one has to log in
unable to find it lately
white page w/black type
is there a shortcut ?
boxster
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by boxster »

Weehawk wrote:
Moleboy wrote:there would be no reason for me to ever upload an INP and therefore ever visit this site again
Adios.
Yeah, that attitude will keep people around. :roll:

I think over time that you'll find that the leaderboard was more important than most members of this board thought it was.

As I've said before, make the leaderboard irrelevant for the "average" player (which, by the way, has just been accomplished), and you eliminate a main reason why people come here in the first place.
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

Let's not start the leaderboard debate all over again, the decision has been made.

Tar - http://marp.retrogames.com/olympic.txt

You'll need to copy and paste it into your browser for it to work.
Darren
SJK
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by SJK »

Weehawk wrote:
8O

Adios.
so the system will never be changed again? :D
- Smraedis
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

DRN wrote:There's nothing like welcoming new players to Marp is there?
He wasn't saying "Hello", he was saying "Goodbye".

New players who wish to upload recordings for others to watch (or simply watch others' recordings) are certainly welcome.
boxster wrote:Yeah, that attitude will keep people around.
Well, people who think there is no reason to upload recordings to MARP other than the now-defunct leaderboard are also welcome to get lost.

It's a free world. :lol:

And in the last five weeks, I have given out $325 of my own money in rewards for submissions to MARP, with $600 in bounties still pending for certain goals. What are you doing to encourage participation here that you would be so presumptious as to question my attitude???
Last edited by Weehawk on Tue May 04, 2004 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

SJK wrote:
Weehawk wrote:
8O

Adios.
so the system will never be changed again? :D
Que será será.
John Cunningham (JTC)
boxster
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by boxster »

Weehawk wrote:Well, people who think there is no reason to upload recordings to MARP other than the now-defunct leaderboard are also welcome to get lost.
I never said it was the only reason. I said it was a reason. And, for some people, it was a primary reason and a large part of their experience at MARP. Those are the people that you're going to lose from MARP. Obviously, you don't care. I personally would think that the idea here would be to get as much participation as possible. Guess not.

I find it interesting that a group of people that professes not to be trying to create an elitist atmosphere has nevertheless perpetuated that very ideal quite effectively.
boxster
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by boxster »

Weehawk wrote:And in the last five weeks, I have given out $325 of my own money in rewards for submissions to MARP, with $600 in bounties still pending for certain goals. What are you doing to encourage participation here that you would be so presumptious as to question my attitude???
Oh, boy. Five weeks. How impressive.

Perhaps you should post messages somewhere other than in these forums, because you're "encouraging" the people who are already here. Most of them already play because they WANT to, not because they want to get paid to.

I've been encouraging participation on MARP on other message boards around the web and with countless other people I know for more than four YEARS.

Just because I don't post here all of the time and draw attention to myself by berating others doesn't mean that I haven't contributed anything.

Oh, but I guess you're the only one who has ever contributed since you've throw some money at the players over the last month. Everyone else who has submitted INPs over the past 5+ years is meaningless.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

boxster wrote:I never said it was the only reason. I said it was a reason
I didn't say "Adios" to you. I said it to Moleboy because:
Please read more carefully before you post.

boxster wrote:Oh, boy. Five weeks. How impressive.
That happens to be when I started. The point is I am doing what I can to encourage participation. It is not meant to "impress" anyone.
boxster wrote:Perhaps you should post messages somewhere other than in these forums, because you're "encouraging" the people who are already here. Most of them already play because they WANT to, not because they want to get paid to.
Good point. The webpage linked in my sig is already listed in Google, and I assume other search engines. I have thought about posting to usenet and the TG forums, but have hesitated because I am not sure how welcome such solicitation would be, and I am not completely sure that it isn't better to have newcomers find their own way in gradually rather than prompt a sudden inrush with unknown consequences. Specific suggestions are welcome.
boxster wrote:I've been encouraging participation on MARP on other message boards around the web and with countless other people I know for more than four YEARS.
Well, finally a cogent response. Good for you.
boxster wrote:Just because I don't post here all of the time and draw attention to myself by berating others doesn't mean that I haven't contributed anything.
I hope this wasn't directed at me. If it was, explain yourself.
boxster wrote:Oh, but I guess you're the only one who has ever contributed since you've throw some money at the players over the last month.
I suggested nothing of the sort, and it's irresponsible of you to imply that I did. I was asking you what you had done to encourage participation since you had the gall to question my attitude.
boxster wrote:Everyone else who has submitted INPs over the past 5+ years is meaningless.
There can be no intelligent questioning of your personal contribution to the site. Your submissions speak for themselves.

Not all of the inps submitted over the last 5+ years are of interest to anyone, however. Some of them were just uploaded for the sake of leaderboard points.

For the time being, that incentive is gone. :)
John Cunningham (JTC)