New Olympic-Standings style leaderboard

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Do you want a leaderboard in which members are ranked by first place recordings first, then by second places, etc..etc..?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:27 pm

Yes, let's settle this whole issure by implementing this simple system.
60%
No, lets continue with the process of deciding how leaderboard points are allocated.
40%

Total votes: 53

sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Olympic

Post by sawys »

I think there is a bug with tis system because it shows the rank on the real leaderboard plus the t8 leaderboard.
But in reality, we are not the leader on the game !!
Funny :)
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re..

Post by AL »

"we"???

Slip of the tongue, perchance?

Cheers,

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

No, excuse me i am alone to play this games !!
My wife knows it well !!
:D
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

The TJT wrote:Zwaxy, we all are waiting you to do it! :lol:
Tired watching these 2 guys mass uploads. Uploads page is filled with crap of their personal "battle". Soon I'll set uploads default to showing only top 3...but they'll find unconquered games to still thave 70% of uploads, annoyingly.
Someone remove remains of old lb and fix new, ARRRGGHHHHH!
Time to stop drinking beer! Hangover has to come one day...
Zwaxy
MARP Founder

Post by Zwaxy »

OK, OK, I'll try to do it some time, but at the moment my home PC is unable to get on the net at all and my work connection doesn't allow me to ssh or ftp to the MARP server, so I can't change anything.

Does anyone have a Linux PC and a broadband connection on which they can run a proxy server for me, so I can use it to trick the work firewall into allowing me to edit the MARP site? That would help a lot. PM me if you can help & I'll tell you what you need to install.

Thanks!

Chris.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

how will the new leaderboard stop these mass uploads? they are just clone hunting, looking for as many 2nd and 3rd places they can get because no one has put up scores for clones, this is still a point getting technique for the new leaderboard...?
-skito
Zwaxy
MARP Founder

Post by Zwaxy »

I guess the point is that on the new leaderboard 2nd and 3rd place scores only count when there is a tie for the number of 1st places. Instead of chasing hundreds of 2nd or 3rd place scores they would be better off trying to get a few 1st place scores. One 1st place score is worth more than a thousand 2nd places...
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

true, i guess tie break clone hunting is still a potential target for mass uploaders. but i think they were clone hunting for firsts too, but not finding many of them. Bitchin' avatar :) !
-skito
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Mr. Kelly R. Flewin »

Chad wrote:true, i guess tie break clone hunting is still a potential target for mass uploaders. but i think they were clone hunting for firsts too, but not finding many of them. Bitchin' avatar :) !
I will admit.. that used to be something I did.. clone hunting for 1st places.. but.. they will learn soon enough... [aside from it being boring and pointless... I personally stopped because I rather would like to fix my scores to be 1st's instead of 2nd-5ths] all it will take is a Serious player to come along and shut them up. [Novice, BBH, Destructor]

Believe me.. for them it will pass... I learned quick that easy points are just no fun when you have no serious competition. Your skills barely improve. which causes you to be a poorer player for it.

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Just a gaming junkie looking for his next High Score fix.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re:

Post by LN2 »

Chad wrote:how will the new leaderboard stop these mass uploads?
notice it doesn't at all. el_wil has proven that this week!

all that for almost nothing. it's really just the 500+ mahjong clones now that skew the leaderboard. hehe
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Re: New Olympic-Standings style leaderboard

Post by Chad »

I don't really mind the mass uploading. But it's time to splitting the leaderboard into multiple leaderboards for each genres (gambling/mahjong/puzzle/platform/shooter/fighter) since a global leaderboard doesn't make sense when the leader of the most plural genre will win the global.

Is there a mame site that has already broken the games into genre category, or do we have to genre them ourselves.
-skito
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

however, with any catlist there always are some in the gray area.

not sure it's worth having the separate leaderboards...since this Olympic style board was put in place it seems very few pay any attention to the leaderboard at all.
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

Hi !

You can see something interesting here http://www.arcadehits.net/mamescore/top.php

The leaderboard is changeable using the pull-down menu to filter a category at the right.

Try it.

I think webmaster used the catlist.

Cheers.
BBH
Editor

Re: Re:

Post by BBH »

LN2 wrote:
Chad wrote:how will the new leaderboard stop these mass uploads?
notice it doesn't at all. el_wil has proven that this week!

all that for almost nothing. it's really just the 500+ mahjong clones now that skew the leaderboard. hehe
those aren't mahjong games, they're gambling games. It can be argued that mahjong actually takes more skill than these...

Anyway I think this has gotten ridiculous. I think the flooding of the uploads page is a bad thing because it pushes other recordings off faster, recordings that people would actually WANT to watch. How many people are honestly interested in watching recordings of gambling games? There's no real skill shown, it's just hoping you do well against a random number generator. Nobody other than Chad has made any effort to confirm them, because.... why bother, there's 8 million of them now and none of them are interesting.

I'm all for archiving them or doing something else to discourage uploads on them.