* if you remove all enemies life : c=1
* drop from the screen : c=2
* kill and drop : c=3

STRENGTH = 30+score/(d+1) [where d=0 or 1 if you die]

Examples
* strength = 30+219=249 if you finished without dying
* strength = 30+219/(1+1)=139.5 if you died

I find this in an old board. My question is the following:

How can be this score: http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/b/2/d/zf ... n37b14.zip ?
It's impresive. I try to replay it, but I think that my rom for goldaxe is newer than the replay's one.

Can anyone post the score stage by stage?

Thx
tmorrow
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by tmorrow »

Luja,

This recording plays back perfectly in mame32 0.53 using the current romsets valid in MAME 0.83 - I just tried it. It is a kickass recording too. The player uses Axe=Battler The Barbarian. Here's some of my observations.

At every opportunity the player destroys the enemy using the 'kill and drop' method. Sometimes he kills an enemy 'off the screen' which may count as 'kill and drop'.

The big trick is that he exploits a trick using magic. He will hit the little gnomes and get 3 or 4 blue bottles on the ground. Then he will wait until several enemies are on screen and then will soften the enemies up until they are all close to death. He will then hit an enemy and a split second later he will use magic, collect one bottle, use magic again, etc until all magic bottles are used up. You hear the death sound of the enemies every time. I'm sure this counts as 'multiple deaths' and the secret to the high score.

In the final battle he kills all the skeletons before finishing off the final boss using the 'jump and slash as the boss gets up' technique. This well known method renders the last boss a complete pussy.

Cheers,
Tim
Luja
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Luja »

Big thanks.

I will download mame32 0.53 and see the tricks too. Thanks for your explanations too. :wink: