Thundercade leeching

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

edusword
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: Thundercade leeching

Post by edusword »

I think someone should check again the current #1 score of this game: GSH - 1,645,500 points
http://replay.marpirc.net/r/tndrcade

The special rule says the following: "No (final) boss leeching."

But I think GSH does not fulfill the special rule, because he uses the leeching at the final boss until he fails and loses the first life (I would say this point goes against the special rule). After that, he continues the leeching using the bombs and several lifes (I don't know if this point is legal or not, because the special rule is maybe very generic).

The japanese version score of GSH will probably have the same problem, but I have not seen the replay.

Regards.
edusword
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by edusword »

"Massive" response to my observation. Thank you very much!

Despite the fact that there is a special rule against the last boss leeching, I will leech in that point... because my INP will be confirmed as the GSH's replay.

Regards.
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

Is difficult made a correct special rule for the games with infinite pattern and without time over character (for this reason all games with this problem are banned in Japan). However a good way for these type of games is completed the area with infinite pattern (in this case the last Boss) soon as possible...
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

"all games are banned with this problem in japan", some how I don't think that's 100% true :)

Sorry for the delay, I had some time to look at this and I agree, there is definite "significant" leeching on the final boss, The rule should probably be changed to disallowing significant leeching, since slight accidental leeching could be done in trying to finish the boss. And the top recording should probably be dqued and an investigation for existing http://replay.marpirc.net/r/tndrcade recordings be done. The Regulation Coordinater should look at this.

There are going to be games that have no problem with leeching, i.e. they can't be leeched, or the leeching can't be done infinitely. But all other games fall into a category where you could actually be doing "some" leeching while trying to complete the game, and there will always be a difficult problem in determining if the player is leeching or just trying to finish the game. In this recording's case it's easy but in other games the problem can be difficult and requires time to determine. Probably the reason this hasn't been looked into, it takes time to do.

We have solved this problem by changing the scoring method. And we could change the scoring to be shortest finishing time as Ghemant suggests (or score=gameScore or if finished score=10,000,000-secondsCompleted), needs a vote.
-skito