Allowing diagonals?

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

BBH wrote:All I know is that after doing a little testing I've found that I have no problems doing a move that requires 4 buttons to be pressed at once...
It depend from keyboard and from what keys you use for buttons/moving. If you define wrong keys you will have problems with press 3 buttons at once.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

The TJT wrote:If you have money to buy a PC, then you have money to buy a cheap joypad...which are equally good than arcade stick at fighting games (BBH uses joypad).
True story - the pad I'm currently using (Interact Propad Blue), I got off eBay for $2 + shipping :D

but personally, I'd rather have a stick for fighting games. I'm not consistent at doing all the motions I can do on a stick on a pad. But I'm not going to complain about other people using joysticks when I'm using a pad.
kuba
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by kuba »

BBH wrote:All I know is that after doing a little testing I've found that I have no problems doing a move that requires 4 buttons to be pressed at once... so I don't see why it should be acceptable to set up multiple buttons to one key.
MK3

Code: Select all

up arow                                    4                6

right arow            left arow                                  2

down arow                                  1                3

on keyboard numeric sie block already 3 buttony. Tray slide Sub-Zero,
Rage Explosion, Power Special-samsho4, Power Up -kof94 and many many different......
then truth from on buttons(Z,X,C,V) do not block. But I have it after right side. he on Cabient stick was after left side and buttons after right.
do not me lectures how it is in orginal because I have Cabient. I am not egoist and different players are for which keyboard is only control they have what.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Oh yeah, Waku Waku 7... I find it easier to push all 4 buttons on keyboard than on the stick (probably due to the SF style button layout more than anything, but still).
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

Like all the other mapping, diagonals would be banned. PS.: I played very few games where is better to map diagonals instead the straights (I think black widow is one). But... disallowed to all is the key (except previosly mentioned games).
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

The TJT wrote:
It's my problem only. I don't have money for life and I will buy arcade stick. You are crazy. If you are rich please buy me X-Arcade. And I early read that MAME is made for PC with keyboard not for rich people with X-Arcade or arcade cabinets. :evil:
Not true.
If you have money to buy a PC, then you have money to buy a cheap joypad...
What you know about me and my life?

I buy PC because with my old PC I can't play on new versions wolf (too slow). It was one way only for me if I want to play on TG and MARP still (in GEGOTW newest wolf isused almost always).

And do you think that in Poland we can buy AS? I'm sorry but we can't. If AS are available then price is very high (I can buy new PC for this price and this price is higher than my month salary).
I don't use joypad, for me is impossible to play on joypad (I tried).

You can't say me what I must do. I want to use keyboard or really AS, nothing more is interesting for me. AS is expensive for me then I use keyboard.
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

Destructor:
You want to use a keyboard and I want to use a pad (as I am the most horrible keyboardplayer on earth!) Some people want to use a spinner for some kind of games, and some uses a mouse. I can go on and on. Still it doesn't matter as it is no more of a reason for any of us to start mapping or start cheating to get on the same "level".

Look at it this way.. I use a psx pad and I'm satisfied for he moment. It is nothing special about it... heck I really WANT to use one of these mega joysticks with 4 way's 8way's, spinners, trackball etc. Can I afford it? nope. Do i need to cheat to get closer to that feeling? NO. I will have to stick with my pad and either wait until I can afford it, or forget about it. It has never crossed my mind that I must alter things due to bad equipment. The thing is that there are probably recordings on MARP made by players using that kind of equipment. Without any doubt they have more of an advantage that I have with my psx pad... I don't yell "Should MARP be for rich player only?" It is exactly the same thing.

If I want to compete and the equipment is not enough.. then I'll have to wait until I can afford it. Or drop the thoughts about it. What if a hotrodplayer finds a way to gain more advantage by altering things? (Something similar to mapping but even more of an advantage) Should a pad user like myself cry and find a way to cheat to get on the same level? And the keyboardplayer find something new too?. There ARE limitations in all equipment. Just accept it... I do.
QRS
Patwos
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Patwos »

Here's a thought:

If you can't find a suitable key combination to play the game without ghosting etc, then just don't play that game. There's thousands of others to choose from that will work with a keyboard and will work quite admirably.

I definitely vote against any form of remapping other than assigning one input key to a different unused input key to get a better feel/response. Personally I always reassign the movement and firing keys away from the default values due to their proximity to the edges of the keyboard and particularly the Windows keys. I normally use I/K/J/L for my up/down/left/right keys and D/F for my firing keys. If the game takes more than three firing buttons I generally don't bother with it as it's most likely not a golden era game that I would like anyway. :)

With four kids and a wife along with myself surviving on a single income here in good old Kiwiland I'm also not exactly over-endowed with money to buy a fancy arcade stick either - much as I'd like to get a cool arcade style setup with four joysticks for Gauntlet, oodles of buttons for each player to go with those four joysticks, Spinners, Trackballs and a decent rotary controller for Tin Star/Ikari Warriors/Strategy-X. But you won't catch me trying to use that as an excuse to justify why I think keyboard mapping should be allowed for any of those games.

Cheers,
Pat.
MrBunny
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by MrBunny »

You got it about that damned windows key!!!

I bought a 9 dollar gamepad after playing keyboard for about 2 years, and fed up with the damn windows key.

With a gamepad I beat alot of my old scores within a couple tries. And the carpal tunnel got better, too.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

MrBunny wrote:You got it about that damned windows key!!!
You know that windows key can be disabled ?
Win98 : "doswinky"
Win XP : http://johnhaller.com/jh/useful_stuff/d ... ndows_key/
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

After tests some arcade controllers I can say that hit diagonal on joystick = 1 move (no risk that you don't hit diagonal). Why? Becasue some of joysticks use squaregonals.
On keyboard you still must hit 2 keys.
And I say - playing on these joysticks is 99999999....% comfortable and easiest than on keyboard.
I'm still against this stupid rule. Stupid especially for keyboard players.

Thanks.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Squaregonals...You made that up, didn't you. :lol:
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Hehe. Here is picture where is square in some joysticks
Source -> http://www.ultimarc.com
Square have Sanwa sticks, E-Stik, T-Stik (small square), Mag-Stik (and custom modified sticks otherwise).
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

The problem when hitting diagonals with 99,99% accuracy...would be that it would be hard to get horiz/vert movement as accurately. It's all about how close the 4 contacts are in a joystick...to make it more or less 4/8-way.

Then again there are restrictor plates, but they are only to prevent diagonals completely...so that you get 4-way joystick impossible to hit corners(diagonal movement). Assumably there could be restrictor plate that would make the stick hit corners allways...The downfall would be that you couldn't get horizontal/vertical movement at all. Not practical. ;)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

The TJT wrote:The downfall would be that you couldn't get horizontal/vertical movement at all. Not practical. ;)
First test it, next say. I test it and say now. I have no problem with hitting diagonals or normal horizontal/vertical directions on these stick. On keyboard without mapping -> 50%.