Player 2... is it allowed???

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Player 2... is it allowed???

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

I am not sure if I read all the rules...
Is allowed use the 2nd player instead the P1??? I saw it at some MARP game (I don't remember), the player description had anything like "no one rules disallow it".
Please think about it in some games, like WINSPIKE. I though try to play it with P2... it would be very easier, but I though it would be very UNFAIR too, and not used it on WCC5.
Is is allowed or not???
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

if the game allows you to start from the 2P side on a single credit, then it should be allowable. Anybody can take advantage of it and if it works that way in the arcade, then why not?

Same goes for other games like, let's say, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... sometimes a romset is set up so that each character can only be selected by putting a coin in their respective coin slot... if you were in the arcade and wanted to use Donatello, you'd put a coin into the 3P slot and then start playing. Nothing unreasonable about that. Why force all players at MARP to play the 1P character (Leonardo)? It makes no sense.
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

BBH wrote:Why force all players at MARP to play the 1P character (Leonardo)? It makes no sense.
I forgot that games "multi-slots for multi characters"... you are right... but in this particular game (winspike), I think would need a special rule... or all the players will play with P2, due the serve reception... is better to receive the serve than apply the serve on WINSPIKE.
MJS
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by MJS »

Raiden is easier from the P2 side too (with the blue ship).
Any others?
zlk
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by zlk »

If the game allows a player to decide whether to play as 1p or 2p, I don't see a problem allowing someone that choice at marp. In an arcade they can decide which player they want to play as, so why not here?
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

The general "rule" has always been that as long as there ain't no advantage by using player 2 it is ok. I tend to agree with you though... everyone can use the 2 player and gain/not gain from it. I see no reason for it not to be allowed.
QRS
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Hmmm... if it is legally allowed... ok... but I think if used it during any competition (WCC5) it would bring some discussions. Well... no problem... I didn't.

Off-topic PS.: I hate volleyball, but the game is at least "playable". Different than other "special" game :evil: :evil: :evil:

2ndPS: Phil Lamat... if you read this topic, use this P2 "tactic" to increase WINSPIKE and clone records (are you playing this game, not? ). :wink:
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

TRB_MetroidTeam wrote:Phil Lamat... if you read this topic, use this P2 "tactic" to increase WINSPIKE and clone records (are you playing this game, not? ). :wink:
Yes I am ; reading your post, I've tried this morning with P2 but I can't even get the player to move, using the default keys. Did you manage to play with him ?
If yes, is the gameplay easier with P2 ? or the only advantage is just that you don't start serving ?

In any case I will try to finish with P1 (winspikj seems a little easier than winspike though)
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Phil Lamat wrote:Did you manage to play with him ?
If yes, is the gameplay easier with P2 ? or the only advantage is just that you don't start serving ?
I tried only one time to start with P2... the COIN and the P2 START gets ok, and I started at the right side... I don't moved, I thought was due my P2 configurations, but don't tried to reconfig it.
I think is only you don't start serving... it is a GREAT handicap in this game, IMO. I need to try again... but have a lot of more interesting things to do before play a volleyball game ;)
Patwos
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Patwos »

We've always allowed for a player to insert 2 credits, start a 2 player game and play with Player 2 on Galaga, and clones, for the sole reason that Player 2's score will show the millions and 10s of millions points columns and therefore it is much easier to determine the players final score.

Cheers,
Pat.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Playing with P2 is also allowed in bublbobl, because it's the only way to see the end in this game as far as I remember

Valter: have a better look for winspike, I think P2 can't move
landshark9
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by landshark9 »

Mortal Kombat 2 is much easier from the 1 player side I think (can't quite remember).

One of the sides, if you ever attempt to jump back when near the computer after the 3rd or 4th round, the computer will always pre-empt you with a straight up jump kick.

I'm pretty sure player 2 gets the shaft.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Maybe off-topic, but at Gauntlet II GREEN Elf is the best... because it has better fight power than other coloured Elves/Elvises.
:wink:
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

The TJT wrote:Maybe off-topic, but at Gauntlet II GREEN Elf is the best... because it has better fight power than other coloured Elves/Elvises.
:wink:
No problem... I think if my first question was answered (yes... can use P2), so it can be a pool of...

Games where exists difference between playing at P1 or P2 etc.