Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: Archive these games -topic

Post by BeeJay » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:52 pm

http://replay.marpirc.net/r/pitbosss-jpk

Looks like this game possibly needs to be archived given the 2 x clones of the game are already archived.

Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:45 pm

Looks like somebody (PL?) archivied the TourVision sets at some point.

I honestly don't mind but can I know the exact reason behind that?
I suppose not being actual MAME romsets but software lists as per now?

Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:23 pm

I'd say also simply not being real arcade games.

The roms are 1:1 the console versions, it's got an unlicensed timer system + forced inputs to start the game slapped on it (which isn't even properly emulated) Unlike the various NES 'super game' multigame bootlegs and the like these haven't even been modified, you are running the console game code and nothing more.

There are arcades with consoles + unofficial timers for every major console of the last 30 years, although a lot of them aren't emulated yet. There's an adapter + modded bios for the Nintendo Super System that lets you plug any SNES cartridge in (although it was never hooked up) and I don't think MARP would open up every SNES game for entry just because they're running on an arcade modified PCB. Maybe I should try digging out those roms actually, didn't get added at the time because it was too political. Tourvision isn't actually that different, it's a standard cart, with an adapter (which contains an ID read by the bios, to force a series of inputs) inside an additional shell. The early ones were just standard cart + adapter separate, no additional shell.

If MARP allows competition on those, it may as well open up to competition on every single home platform game, as you're not really playing an arcade game at all.

***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:57 pm

Kale wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:45 pm
Looks like somebody (PL?) archivied the TourVision sets at some point.

I honestly don't mind but can I know the exact reason behind that?
I suppose not being actual MAME romsets but software lists as per now?
Yes, I archived them solely because they are not included in any recent MAME releases.

IOW, when a game gets dropped by MAMEDev, I typically also archive all INPs associated with those games.

Over the years, we've had games come and go then later come back, so there remains the possibility they'll return...