blocked score

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

zlk wrote:Personally, I do not use wolfmame because it no loner has a GUI.
Yesterday I downloaded frontend for wolf112 :lol:
dan
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by dan »

I think it is problem that all records of non-Wolf/Alpha be doubt.
Let's make an effort to beat those records if you stick to 1st.

*edited
Last edited by dan on Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

destructor wrote:I think we should not accept scores for 1st using not alpha or wolf.
so any first place scores obtained before wolf or alpha should be zeroed?

also, what about those(only a couple here now...but still) using a different OS that has no port of wolfmame?

Are these gamers excluded?

also, I think any requirement for a secure mame like wolfmame has to apply to all scores, not just the top places.

to make it easiest, why doesn't MARP remove all scores except those played with a wolfmame? forget anything else...including alphamame.

I am not agreeing with this point....just making the statement so you can see it is kind of absurd.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

LN2, it's not good to watch replays using for example regular MAME where players plays as terminators and I always reflect: is he cheater or not?
And remember 1st position is most important for leadorboard if someone play for it.

Hm..., maybe try to say about your problem on TG forum :lol: Please add one word from me about scores don't available for download, and please make these available.
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

zlk wrote: Personally, I do not use wolfmame because it no loner has a GUI. I like to keep track of my number of plays and playtime for each game. Mameplus does this. It is also generally easier to change settings with a GUI.
Hi :-D

Learn to use emuloader then you will be happy to use the latest versions of wolfmame ;-D

I've made a tutorial (in french) to learn how to install and use it :
http://www.arcadehits.net/mamescore/hom ... how=msc170

I totally agree to use secure version and delete old scores where it is impossible to see if people cheat or not.

See you :-D
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

sawys wrote:and delete old scores where it is impossible to see if people cheat or not.
Deleting old scores will be not good, will be very bad. For example there were times where was no secure MAME version.

We can reject no-secure replays from moment when rules will be added (if will).
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

LN2 wrote: so any first place scores obtained before wolf or alpha should be zeroed?
Of course not, there are too many old great recordings. I'd assume this is for future recordings.
also, what about those(only a couple here now...but still) using a different OS that has no port of wolfmame?
My opinion is that if you don't have OS that supports wolfie - you are excused. Also if one has some other very good reason not to use it, for example playbackability.
also, I think any requirement for a secure mame like wolfmame has to apply to all scores, not just the top places.
I agree. There might be a bit confusion in the air with terms as:"blocking( not giving leaderboard points) and "removing"
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

My opinion is that it was silly the last time this was done, and I don't see why it wouldn't be any less silly this time around. This is the MAME Action Replay Page, any version of MAME ought to be allowable.
LN2 wrote:also, what about those(only a couple here now...but still) using a different OS that has no port of wolfmame?
Apply the patch to SDLMAME. Problem solved. Unless you're a BeOS user :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

mahlemiut wrote:any version of MAME ought to be allowable.
Apply the patch to SDLMAME. Problem solved. Unless you're a BeOS user :)
I'm not sure if that proved the point in your favour.
:-k
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

The TJT wrote:I'm not sure if that proved the point in your favour.
:-k
SDLMAME is buildable under Windows, Linux or MacOS X. That's your major OSes covered right there. You just have to learn how to compile it. There are plenty of resources out there. It's not that difficult.
- Barry Rodewald
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

And will not problem with playback? I'm not sure.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I shouldn't think so, it's based directly on MAME, and the source covers the 3 OSes. It just uses SDL and OpenGL for video output. It's especially useful as X-MAME is no longer maintained.
- Barry Rodewald
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

funnymame(tm)

Post by The TJT »

But every mame "derivative" is based on mame, still there are playback problems between those. Now, even whether you playback using dos window or fullscreen has been proven to have effect on playbackability(tm).
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

destructor wrote:LN2, it's not good to watch replays using for example regular MAME where players plays as terminators and I always reflect: is he cheater or not?
sure, but do you think most of the 1st place scores here using unsecure mames are cheaters? especially before wolfmame even existed? I think not. Yes, there are some of those really old first place scores that were obtained in such an old mame that didn't emulate the game as well as modern mame that should get zeroed...cuz we can't touch those scores in modern wolfmame now.
And remember 1st position is most important for leadorboard if someone play for it.
leaderboard made almost worthless with that system for me...so I could care less about that. notice how little I submit here since that change....first or other place scores.
maybe try to say about your problem on TG forum :lol: Please add one word from me about scores don't available for download, and please make these available.
I have no idea what you are talking about here. I have no problem on the TG forums. heck, in the past 3 months I have barely even participated. The TG scoreboard has chosen to be where scores don't have to be downloadable. If you don't like that then take it up with the TG staff. In short they don't require it because some of the most elite types of scores would not get submitted if the gameplay had to be shared with the world. It's up to the gamer really...so blame gamers for not openly sharing their gameplay....not the scoreboard.

I have been too busy recently to game much anyway...although I am going to the Challenge Arcade contest in Reading next week...but haven't practiced at all to get in gaming shape as I would want...so I have little expectation there...but will go to meet others and have fun.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

LN2 wrote:sure, but do you think most of the 1st place scores here using unsecure mames are cheaters?
I don't know.