Striker 1945 Plus settings?

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

landshark9
Button Masher
Button Masher

Striker 1945 Plus settings?

Post by landshark9 »

What are the appropriate settings for Strikers 1945 Plus?

I thought it used to be Starting with 2 planes in reserve. But when I tried recording recently (Wolf 108) it started with 1 in reserve.

Which is it?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Strikers 1945 Plus has always defaulted 2 lives only, with an extend at 600k, I think. As the settings are stored in NVRAM, the game is in control of setting defaults, not MAME. Perhaps the defaults vary across regions?
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Kaiser
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Kaiser »

Well landshark, if you want to play in original region (japan with 3 lifes) then use japan bios for that, i'm using always japan bios when i play this game
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Of course, that's not allowable for MARP use, as that is effectively playing it on easier than default settings (Europe BIOS is the default).
- Barry Rodewald
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

mahlemiut wrote: that's not allowable for MARP use, as that is effectively playing it on easier than default settings (Europe BIOS is the default).
this is my opinion... neo geo games are japanese in original. And to play them in original, Japanese bios is necessary.

For exemple, I play only in Japan version, for neo geo and other games.

All Psikyo games are with 3 lives in default. And striker plus with Europe bios and 2 lives is inacceptable.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

MAME uses the Europe (or Asia, whichever it is) BIOS by default. That's what we will use for MARP. If there is no difference in settings or gameplay between the BIOS regions, then you may use the Japanese BIOS. In most cases, though, language is about the only difference between regions, other than the coin slot setup, and that annoying "Winners Don't Use Drugs" thing.

Using anything other than the default BIOS for MARP is certainly not allowed for either Strikers 1945 Plus or Neo Drift Out.
- Barry Rodewald
Kaiser
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Kaiser »

GHEMANT wrote:
mahlemiut wrote: that's not allowable for MARP use, as that is effectively playing it on easier than default settings (Europe BIOS is the default).
this is my opinion... neo geo games are japanese in original. And to play them in original, Japanese bios is necessary.

For exemple, I play only in Japan version, for neo geo and other games.

All Psikyo games are with 3 lives in default. And striker plus with Europe bios and 2 lives is inacceptable.
I agree with ghemant here, playing on 2 lives isn't fun
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

And I agree with Barry : default is the rule, default bios shall be used if another bios makes things easier (like in Neo Driftout)
landshark9
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by landshark9 »

Kaiser wrote: All Psikyo games are with 3 lives in default. And striker plus with Europe bios and 2 lives is inacceptable.
I agree with ghemant here, playing on 2 lives isn't fun[/quote]

I fully agree. The 2 life bios version is lame. However, rules are rules =)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Go bitch to Psikyo. Just like we do with Konami on pretty much any US versions of their games, which are far less fun than just having one less life.
- Barry Rodewald
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

bios europe is default because who work on mame is european people. I repeat: Strikers is a japanese game and the original version is that Japanese. European version is a true clone.

many games have settings very strange in european version, and difficult top-heavy.

however, if this is the rule for marp...... :roll:

about the difficult in all games... I not read any rules on marp. Some players use level 8 in some games (metal slug, spin master...) but this is not correct.

Because in 9/10 games high difficult=more points.

If I play metal slug (for exemple) with default settings I obtain 1.500.000 and I finish the game.

another player play this game with difficult 8 and perform 1.550.000 (lost at stage 6). Score is better but replay is poor, and in boty replay the techniques are the same.

If I want a correct comparison between all scores in a single game, these scores must be all with default settings.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Players at MARP are welcome to play at harder than default settings. Nothing wrong with trying to score higher by using a higher difficulty.
- Barry Rodewald
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

the purpose to play for hi-score is a comparison with other scores of other players. If each one play with different settings, comparison is impossible and the purpose can't be reached
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

GHEMANT wrote:the purpose to play for hi-score is a comparison with other scores of other players. If each one play with different settings, comparison is impossible and the purpose can't be reached
again, bitch to Psikyo for making the retarded decision to limit the amount of lives on the European and US bios.

It annoys me that pretty much every Strikers 1945 Plus machine I've ever seen at an arcade was set to 2 lives to start, but it's not like I can do anything about that.
GHEMANT wrote:If I want a correct comparison between all scores in a single game, these scores must be all with default settings.
...and MAME's default setting is to use the European bios. Isn't it going to skew comparisons if everyone is using different bioses?
landshark9
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by landshark9 »

mahlemiut wrote:Players at MARP are welcome to play at harder than default settings. Nothing wrong with trying to score higher by using a higher difficulty.
This seems contradictory as you should then be able to play on easier skill levels to yield less points but get further (I know that's not the case).
BBH wrote:It annoys me that pretty much every Strikers 1945 Plus machine I've ever seen at an arcade was set to 2 lives to start, but it's not like I can do anything about that.
Wait. You've actually seen a Strikers 1945 Plus cab in the wild? I haven't seen a shooter outside of mame/PS2 in 2 or 3 years.