MAME 0.129 New Games

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Re: MAME 0.129 New Games

Post by Chad »

don't worry, we all make that mistake! thanks for noticing and we hope you can upload new ones soon. But if you are GNU and you posted these AT MARP then they playback for me with out the nvram file, just remove it and you might be able to playback too and as long as you can playback with out the nvram file the inp will be accepted.
-skito
jm2003
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by jm2003 »

***PL*** wrote:
kranser wrote:I agree we need a split for tgm2p and also for tgm2 as the Master mode has a target of 100 - whereas the normal mode has a target of 300.
Split as follows:

tgm2-nor "Tetris the Absolute The Grand Master 2 [Normal]"
tgm2-mas "Tetris the Absolute The Grand Master 2 [Master]"

tgm2p-nor "Tetris the Absolute The Grand Master 2 Plus [Normal]"
tgm2p-mas "Tetris the Absolute The Grand Master 2 Plus [Master]"
tgm2p-tgm "Tetris the Absolute The Grand Master 2 Plus [TGM+]"
tgm2p-tad "Tetris the Absolute The Grand Master 2 Plus [Time Attack Death]"

I think we need a new split for tgm2 and tgm2p.
If you push B+C+1p start while READY GO message you will play on a very funny mode : item mode.
tgm2-mas will be now tgm2-mim (master item mode)
tgm2-nor will be now tgm2-nim (normal item mode)
tgm2p-mas will be now tgm2p-mim (master item mode)
tgm2p-nor will be now tgm2p-nim (normal item mode)

And a new split for Big mode:Push Left,Left, Left, Left, Down, C, B, A on "press start" screen for activate it
and a newsplit for TLS Mode: Push ABCCBAACB Ghost pieces
and 20G Mode: Down (x8), C, B, A Forces maximum gravity.
¿And a new split for the combination of them? 8O
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

I'd agree with the special extra TGM2 splits. I've played the item mode and the big block mode and the gameplay is definitely different to the standard play.

Is the 20G mode very similar to the timed-death-attack game? If so they maybe we only need this split for TGM2 and not for TGM2P.

I couldn't get the Ghost block mode to do anything (maybe I didn't play enough) - what is that mode supposed to do? Is the TLS and Ghost piece mode the same - or are they two different modes?

I think maybe the mixed mode splits would be a big extreme though - especially as you don't get long to enter the codes in!

Kranser.
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

If a player has to enter special codes I won't do a split.
jm2003
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by jm2003 »

***PL*** wrote:If a player has to enter special codes I won't do a split.
If i play big blocks normal mode i can get about 600K points .Can i submit a record of big blocks tgm-nor mode?
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

good question, I think special codes (in normal mode) would be allowed if the regulation coordinator (bbh) allows them. Codes are marp legal in a few other games.
-skito
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

*** PL *** wrote:
>If a player has to enter special codes I won't do a split.

Ok Pat - I respect that. But how often do special codes result in an entirely different game - instead of the usual extra powers, extra characters, etc...
I'm referring to the Big mode here and not the other special codes (which I agree do not need a split).

Kranser.
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

kranser, there's really two issues regarding entering codes here:

1) are INPs that use codes legit for the version(s) as determined by mamedev, that is the original ROMset and its clones?
2) should a split be created for INPs that use codes and track those scores separately?

I'm not saying you can't play the special codes, that is really up to BBH. And if allowed, those scores fall under situation (1). I'm just saying I won't make a special case for (2).

Splits should be intuitive to a newb. It is already a bit of a stretch to have splits based on dip switch settings. Even more so if one has to look up codes on the net.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

***PL*** wrote: 2) should a split be created for INPs that use codes and track those scores separately?

Splits should be intuitive to a newb. It is already a bit of a stretch to have splits based on dip switch settings. Even more so if one has to look up codes on the net.
As for point #2, I answer "yes" if this gives a new way to play the game.
We already have some on Marp, for example dfeveron-ta (only playable with a code).
And for newbies, we have "special rules" link :)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Correct, the special rules pages can contain the method by which the user can enter dip switches or press special keys for the potential tetris split. The question still remains to be answered by the regulation coordinator if the game is distinct enough to warrant the split. Also, Isn't there some version of 1945 where special ships are allowed by special key sequences but it is not a split?
-skito
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

Yes we have the technology to do the split, but it more about where do we draw the line?

First off, BBH has not approved anything, we need to start with that.

Second, Tetris is the most common game after Mahjong and luck/gambling games.

You guys want to take what I just split (between tgm2 & tgm2p there are already six total) and add 4 (FOUR) variations.

If I'm reading this right, you guys want splits added for ITEM mode, BIG mode, TLS mode, 20G mode.

That will add 24 splits which to me is just ridiculous! Why???? :roll:

I can't believe the gameplay is that different!!! Again, we're talking about TETRIS!!!
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

oh i didn't realized there were so many, almost as many as golden tee (well not quite but close.) that certainly should be taken under consideration. This sounds more like use "big" in one of the clones.
-skito
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

I don't want anything, I was just talking about split in general, and games accessible only with codes in particular.
To be frank I even haven't test codes in tgm2 yet (as far as I understand, I think jm2003 just want split for "big").

And Chad is right, it's up to BBH now
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

Phil Lamat wrote:I don't want anything, I was just talking about split in general, and games accessible only with codes in particular.
To be frank I even haven't test codes in tgm2 yet (as far as I understand, I think jm2003 just want split for "big").

And Chad is right, it's up to BBH now
Yes Phil from my understanding, I'd agree that the BIG mode is the only one which warrants a split, as it is the only code which provides unique new game play - unlike the other codes which make the existing games either harder or easier (or just slightly varied!).

I'm not even sure that a BIG split would be required for Normal, Master, TAD and TGM modes (though it would be nice). But maybe a compromise would be to have the BIG-mode split for only one of the modes (perhaps Master)? And to have special rules to disallow the BIG code from being used in any other tgm2/tgm2P split.

But, let's see what BBH has to say.

Kranser.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

I haven't had a chance to take a look at this yet. I'm not familiar at all with these extra modes, but I'll try them out shortly...

The general consensus has been that codes have been allowed in most games as long as they aren't completely game-breaking. If a code is not a separate new gameplay mode but rather one that modifies a regular game mode (such as the Power-Up or Super codes in Bubble Bobble), they're usually allowed but they are not split just to accomodate the codes. If the game itself makes no effort to differentiate scores done with one of these codes, then I don't see why they should be split. (just a hypothetical, like I said I'm not sure on the specifics but will check these out for myself)