Batrider Unlocks and Bootup Rank

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Zerstorung
Button Masher
Button Masher

Batrider Unlocks and Bootup Rank

Post by Zerstorung »

Raizing's shmup Armed Police Batrider has a couple points that may need addressing.

First off, the lesser of the two issues, is that the game features unlockable ships that utilize a code entered after putting in a credit. Alternatively, the game features a range of dip switches that can enable them by default (as well as other unlockable modes). Is it permitted to have these dip settings changed for ease of startup, considering the only change in the game is negating the requirement to enter the code to access the additional ships (which are required for high-scoring purposes).

Second, Batrider's difficulty is based on the value of a range of memory addresses that quickly counts down from a large number as you progress in the game (causing it to slowly become more difficult based on your actions). The dip setting for difficulty only serves to cap how low this value can go. This system was also used in Battle Garegga, Batrider's predecessor. In the former, the difficulty would be set at its default upon bootup, allowing for a consistent starting point (in Japanese scoring contests, the cabinets are rebooted after each attempt). However, in Batrider, they changed it so that a standard bootup starts the game at max difficulty, slowly moving to the default as the attract mode plays (likely a misguided attempt to stop the annoyance arcade operators had from people rebooting garegga machines). It's been said that after a half hour of non-play, it finally reaches the point where the game is intended to start at. This wait can be avoided by enabling the service menu (F2) and holding P1 Start from when the menu appears until Raizing's logo appears, immediately setting the difficulty to its consistent normal starting point. I personally feel as though this should be allowed and mentioned, as it is typical for Japanese superplays and prevents people from waiting on the attract screen to have an advantage over those who don't.
mahlemiut
Editor

Re: Batrider Unlocks and Bootup Rank

Post by mahlemiut »

Zerstorung wrote:First off, the lesser of the two issues, is that the game features unlockable ships that utilize a code entered after putting in a credit. Alternatively, the game features a range of dip switches that can enable them by default (as well as other unlockable modes). Is it permitted to have these dip settings changed for ease of startup, considering the only change in the game is negating the requirement to enter the code to access the additional ships (which are required for high-scoring purposes).
Not a problem, players can use either method. INPs store DIP switch settings (since they are just another form of input).
Zerstorung wrote:Second, Batrider's difficulty is based on the value of a range of memory addresses that quickly counts down from a large number as you progress in the game (causing it to slowly become more difficult based on your actions). The dip setting for difficulty only serves to cap how low this value can go. This system was also used in Battle Garegga, Batrider's predecessor. In the former, the difficulty would be set at its default upon bootup, allowing for a consistent starting point (in Japanese scoring contests, the cabinets are rebooted after each attempt). However, in Batrider, they changed it so that a standard bootup starts the game at max difficulty, slowly moving to the default as the attract mode plays (likely a misguided attempt to stop the annoyance arcade operators had from people rebooting garegga machines). It's been said that after a half hour of non-play, it finally reaches the point where the game is intended to start at. This wait can be avoided by enabling the service menu (F2) and holding P1 Start from when the menu appears until Raizing's logo appears, immediately setting the difficulty to its consistent normal starting point. I personally feel as though this should be allowed and mentioned, as it is typical for Japanese superplays and prevents people from waiting on the attract screen to have an advantage over those who don't.
I personally don't see any issue with allowing this, players just have to remember that you can't reset to get out of service mode. Comments from others would be good though.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Kaiser
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: Batrider Unlocks and Bootup Rank

Post by Kaiser »

Regarding the service mode and restarting the game to it's original factory rank setting. Should be allowed as Zerst isn't lying about that. Most of japanese players or western players over shmups forums use that trick. If you guys don't remember my Advanced ALL replay. I used that trick there too on Japan B version. I'm not sure if the trick works on Garegga/Bakraid as I never checked. (Bakraid would be still insanely hard for everyone, with low rank on advanced's last stages :P YEAH I beat it so I know how tough it is)