Gyruss - consider 5 man only rule?

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: Gyruss - consider 5 man only rule?

Post by BeeJay »

Gyruss is such an easy game to marathon it's actually pointless seeing who could stay awake for the most number of days just to set a high score. That's why I suggested the 5 lives option and also why I changed my own score down to just below the new 5 life only score as that is a much more deserving 1st place score IMHO.

If I'd chosen to give up that game at 4.2 million instead of 5.2 million it would have made little difference..... the only reason I stopped at 5.2 million, rather than a lower score, was because it hopefully gave me enough head-room to be able to win Marp's T1 tournament at the time of making that recording....

The main issue with marathon scores on Gyruss, other than how long you can actually stay awake and functioning, is making sure that you don't wrap the lives over the 255 mark or you can end up with no lives left by accident... and if that happens to coincide with one of your occasional losses of a life it can be game over in very short order.... very frustrating when that happens!!

Cheers,
BeeJay.
KIG666
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by KIG666 »

simpsons99 wrote:I disagree that person's score should have not been changed ... There was no rules stating only 5 ships per game... Sure TG has scores for 5 ships but i bet they have complete game scores allso.
Sure it's cool to see how many points someone can get with Limited guys.. But what is really cool is seeing how long someone can play this and what kind of score they end up with.
I agree with you up to a point. You are right if you say that the marathon score of BeeJay should be still on first place cause it was the highest marathon score on marp but that was not my point and so far I have seen BeeJay was the one that has edited his own score so I have no problem with his decision cause no-one has forced him to do it.

I for my part find it kinda boring to marathon a game that spits out unlimited bonus lifes but hey that's just my opinion. If you find it cool to see how long somone is willing to play it no problem but I can really not see how to marathon Gyruss could be really cool.
For example I had to kill 67 ships on my 5 man game so you can easily see that to marathon Gyruss is not really challenging, IMO every good Gyruss player is able to marathon it so a 5 life track is the way to go I think.

I still would prefer a 5 life track like ***PL*** has suggested.
***PL*** wrote:
The right thing to do is to create "special rules" limiting posted score to 5 men only for the parent gyruss.

Existing INPs would remain "grandfathered" and all scores would become "unverified". At this point, INPs can be challenged and verified after determining score at the 5th death.

I believe this was the process we did back when Q*bert scores got changed over to 5 men only.
The whole purpose of this topic was to convince the marp stuff that a 5 man only rule for Gyruss would be a great idea.

I would even go so far to suggest a 1 life track for Gyruss on hardest settings. Heck not only for Gyruss I would love to see such tracks for many games cause marp is all about competitive gaming so what could be more challenging than 1 life tracks on the hardest settings ?

Don't get me wrong I don't want any existing scores removed from the site, I just would like a few extra tracks, that would be really cool.

That doesn't mean a marathon game is less woth for me than a tournament game it's just that both tournament and 1 life tracks require so much more skill.
1 Life tracks are the ultimate concentration tests. My PB level 8 Gyruss with one ship was 2.764.000 and I can tell you that was THE game. I really like such extreme tracks, marathon is the one extreme but there should be also the other extreme with just one life imo.
Marp would be the first with 1 life tracks, not even TG had such tracks regular for every game just on a few titles I think.

Marathon games require also some skill but not to the same degree where a split second can end your game. Marathon is more about staying awake and fight against your own tiredness.

For sure also a hard task no question but both variations should be not compared with each other so I really like the idea of ***PL*** with a special rule for the konami version.
BeeJay wrote:Gyruss is such an easy game to marathon it's actually pointless seeing who could stay awake for the most number of days just to set a high score. That's why I suggested the 5 lives option and also why I changed my own score down to just below the new 5 life only score as that is a much more deserving 1st place score IMHO.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
I couldn't agree more with you. Gyruss gives out so many extra lifes and once a player is good enough it's quite easy to play the game forever so IMO we need special rules for such games cause not every gamer is a marathon fan and is willing to play a game for days just to set a WR :)
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

I'm not discrediting your game by any means... There is an Art to Feeding out lifes and keeping playing for along as you can.

When i was playing for the Donkey Kong Junior World Record at the Nw Pinball Arcade Show.. There was a guy besides me playing Gyruss for a World Record.. I don'nt know which one he was going for but he was playing it for along time.

These games where not made to be played for hours that takes alot of skill and art.

I would hate to see scores DQ'D Here later becouse they played more then 5 guys and got over 5 Millon .
If you have a FB Account I'm Brian Allen
On KLOV and other sites I'm Simpsons99
Arcade Game Scores
DKJR 1,073,800 Level F Kill screen !
DK3 TG MED Skill Level 1,365,000 Level 80?
dickmoreland
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by dickmoreland »

I love the idea of one man scores for this game and any others that can be marathoned. You die, you're done. It's really the best way to determine the best players on some games. It also makes for much more interesting viewing. I've got a 3.5 million score on Asteroids that's boring as hell to watch. If you want to see amazing gameplay, you have to scroll down to 10th place to watch McAllister score 177k on one man. Now that's something to watch.
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

i agree with Dick.
1 man scores are way cool.
as far as i know, only donkey kong has a 1 man score on tg. they all should have that option...
:D
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

kernzy wrote:i agree with Dick.
1 man scores are way cool.
as far as i know, only donkey kong has a 1 man score on tg. they all should have that option...
:D
Right! i got 525k on 1 guy on DK ..

You start messing with every game I'm out of here .
Arcade Game Scores
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

why Brian?
thats outrageous. you like the dk one, but not others?
it would not interfere with the main scores, i'm sure.
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

kernzy wrote:why Brian?
thats outrageous. you like the dk one, but not others?
it would not interfere with the main scores, i'm sure.
your not understanding No i don'nt like any part of it.
Arcade Game Scores
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

why not, mate?
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

kernzy wrote:why not, mate?
it limits everything .. it changes everything .. It's about a Complete Game Over Screen with a High score on it.

Crazy rules has wrecked TG and caused it to be sold.. Then offline for months .

I'm gotten around 900k on Donkey Kong Junior without dieing.. Do i want that the WR Hell No! These games are made to be played out not 1 and done.
Arcade Game Scores
KIG666
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by KIG666 »

***PL*** wrote:I do not want to create a new split based on # of starting men!!

The right thing to do is to create "special rules" limiting posted score to 5 men only for the parent gyruss.

Existing INPs would remain "grandfathered" and all scores would become "unverified". At this point, INPs can be challenged and verified after determining score at the 5th death.

I believe this was the process we did back when Q*bert scores got changed over to 5 men only.

2014 and still no Gyruss 5 men track on Marp :(
If Q*bert has special rules Gyruss should have them as well.
The best Gyruss players on marp ended their games long before they reached the game over screen cause Gyruss is simply waaaay too easy with unlimited ships.

From the Gyruss description box here on Marp
BeeJay : I originally gave up at 5.2 millions
QRS : TG settings used. Stage 200 reached, and then I killed my remaining 9 ships.
colman paolo : TG settings---give after reach second rollover

Would love to see special rules implented for the Konami version and I'm sure I'm not the only one here that thinks Gyruss needs a 5 ship only track :)
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

KIG666 wrote:
***PL*** wrote:I do not want to create a new split based on # of starting men!!

2014 and still no Gyruss 5 men track on Marp :(
If Q*bert has special rules Gyruss should have them as well.
The best Gyruss players on marp ended their games long before they reached the game over screen cause Gyruss is simply waaaay too easy with unlimited ships.

From the Gyruss description box here on Marp
BeeJay : I originally gave up at 5.2 millions
QRS : TG settings used. Stage 200 reached, and then I killed my remaining 9 ships.
colman paolo : TG settings---give after reach second rollover

Would love to see special rules implented for the Konami version and I'm sure I'm not the only one here that thinks Gyruss needs a 5 ship only track :)
I agree with Pat's suggestion of switching the parent romset to a 5 man only track. The top player (KIG) likes the idea and given Beejay already edited his score down to 2nd place, it sounds like he'd be up for the idea as well.

So proposal is to add a special rule for the parent romset to make it 5 man only. Existing scores would need to be adjusted to reflect the score after 5 men, but if a few of us helped out that should be fairly easy to do (at least with the WolfMAME replays).

Barry, can we start a vote for this proposed rule change?

-George
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

I vote no there is a skill to getting the extra guys and staying alive . These little rules should stop happening .. Your not showing the true high scores for that game .
Arcade Game Scores
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

the skill of marathoning the game would still be available in cloned romsets.
-skito
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

well it should not be changed for any of the sets .

Most players only care about the Main Rom Set.
Chad wrote:the skill of marathoning the game would still be available in cloned romsets.
Arcade Game Scores