Battle Garegga : vote

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

What "territory" dipswitch can be allowed for Battle Garegga ?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:37 am

default only (Europe)
No votes
any territory (including Japan)
100%

Total votes: 12

Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Battle Garegga : vote

Post by Phil Lamat »

This vote is to decide if we allow dipswitch "territory" to be turned to Japan for regular submissions.

Reminder :
For Battle Garegga, DIP switches for extend settings vary. For Japan, the default extends are every 1M points, for all other regions, the default is no extends whatsoever. There may be some slight variations in game mechanics, also.
Japan region:
Extends every 1M <-> Extends at 1M and 2M only
All other regions:
No extend <-> Extends every 2M

Whole discussion there :
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15028&start=15
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: Battle Garegga : vote

Post by Kale »

I think the poll is erratic. It should be something like default / split default and japan / japan only
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Let's vote to allow jp dipswitch, we will see if split is needed later.
Note that I have asked the question, but nobody answered:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15028&start=20
Phil Lamat wrote: Finally for bgaregga, I'm ok for a vote, but I have a question first :
if we allow jp dipswitch, what do we do with previous scores made with default europe ?
all scores mixed ?
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

Perhaps I wasn't clear, but whatever, I'll try again.

What's the point of this poll? "Allowing" if Garegga could be played with JP or not? Wasn't it already "allowed" in the first place? :roll:

I don't know the game much, but this poll is ludicrous to say the least. Starting from the fact that you don't know jack about the game itself, continuing from the fact that JP is basically a DIFFERENT GAME than EU* and ending to a poll that subtly counts how many people in this site can be defined an hardcore player AND reads the forum. If it isn't a joke I don't know what it is ...

*and I've got that by a quick reading of the shmups forum FAQ. So not rocket science at all.
Zerstorung
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Zerstorung »

Kale wrote:What's the point of this poll? "Allowing" if Garegga could be played with JP or not? Wasn't it already "allowed" in the first place? :roll:
The reason this is happening is because I made a recording of 10 million points on the Japanese settings, and was told to take it down, with the claim that enabling extends changed a dip switch setting to make it easier than the "default" (euro settings). This puzzled me, as there is (still) a run by Sasupoika, with a description that clearly states that the Japanese settings were used. (http://replay.marpirc.net/r/bgaregga)

The poll is worded to specifically provide a solution to the following problem:
Finally for bgaregga, I'm ok for a vote, but I have a question first :
if we allow jp dipswitch, what do we do with previous scores made with default europe ?
all scores mixed ?
In this sense, we are simply changing the "default" (by MARP's consideration) to Japanese settings, which, at face value, would allow the European settings to be freely used as a "harder" setting (by MARP's consideration).

Now, this somewhat sidesteps the far more complex issue of which version of the game is objectively more difficult than the other. In a way, the Japanese setting is significantly harder if you aren't very good at the game, but top tier players will find it easier in some ways, as they can earn enough lives to sacrifice in order to keep the difficulty low, but this balances out with the fact that the scoring is made more complicated and, in some cases, difficult.

However, since the European settings have a seriously lower potential scoring rate, and have very little chance of passing up scores done on the Japanese version, given players of equal skill, I see no issue in allowing both under the same track for now, with a special note that submissions should be marked with the region used.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Zerst said it all.
Kale wrote: What's the point of this poll? "Allowing" if Garegga could be played with JP or not? Wasn't it already "allowed" in the first place? :roll:
No, here "jp" is a dipswitch, not a bios.
Only default (or TG) dipswitches are allowed at Marp.
Kale wrote: *and I've got that by a quick reading of the shmups forum FAQ. So not rocket science at all.
Same for a quick reading of Marp rules :wink:
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

Sorry if I have better things to do rather than reading the stupid MARP rules but that's techinically a Jumper setting, not a Dip-SW (wouldn't have sense to show a disclaimer otherwise) but ok, let's do a more drastic poll if you really want to provoke ...
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Dip Switches, romsets, jumpers...

Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Vote has ended, 12-0 to allow "any territory".
I will add that to "special rules" link
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Special rule added