Raiden

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

mahlemiut
Editor

Raiden

Post by mahlemiut »

"- 0.146u2: Mr. CAST, Smitdogg and The Dumping Union added Raiden (set 1). Redumped rom gets the new Raiden set working. Reordered the set with additional information. Changed 'Raiden' to clone 'Raiden (set 3, Alternate hardware)', '(alternate hardware)' to 'Raiden (set 2)', 'Raiden (US, set 2)' to 'Raiden (US, set 1)', '(US, set 1, SEI8904 + SEI9008 PCBs)' to '(US, set 2, SEI8904 + SEI9008 PCBs)'. Renamed (raiden) to (raidenb), (raidenu) to (raidenua) and (raidenua) to (raidenu)."

So Raiden should not have any INPs older than 0.147. Older raiden INPs need to be moved to raidenb, and raidenu and raidenua need to be switched around.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Despatche
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: Raiden

Post by Despatche »

Whoo, we finally have checkpoints on a main set, and the parent at that! Kinda weird how all these other versions don't have them.
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

cheers for the update, Barry.
believe it or not, i'm confused!!!!!!!! :?
upon reading this, it prompted me to play raiden. guess what? i can't play it on any mame! i have successfully played and submitted for "raiden" already, using win149. it does not work now. i changed directories back to my "original" roms folder (after using clrmamepro), still no worky.
it's baffled the hell out of me, because, somewhere, someone, has updated the "raiden" romset, and it has affected my playing of it, even though i'm using the same MAME and the same romset i used before!!! lol!!! to me it's like they have updated "MY" roms, too!!!! ha!!
i have looked in my usual sources for the "new" raiden rom, and they are all of much earlier dates.
any advice would be very welcomed.
cheers all!!
8)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

The differing ROMs will now be in raidenb.zip, so to have a zip that will run the parent set in both old and new versions, extract the ROMs from raidenb.zip, and add them to raiden.zip. You can delete raidenb.zip afterwards, if you wish.
- Barry Rodewald
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

YO,
IT did not work. my raiden rom was very small, so i downloaded a new copy and now everything works again.
cheers Barry!!
:D :D
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

This is complicated one!

As Barry suggested, I have swapped short names raidenu & raidenua, but also short names raiden & raidenb

It may take another day to sort out the game descriptions, but hopefully the INPs are correctly lined up now.
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

hey Barry,
i saw your "couple of issues" comments on my "raidena" score.
"speed throttling" - i only press F10 during the intro and whenever i finish a level, as i restart often and it's very boring to have to watch it 10 times over.
"easy settings" - that particular score was done on "normal" difficulty, not "easy". can you not press "tab" to see the settings? maybe it's an extra man issue? i don't know which is correct, as i've changed it on some and not others. i'll assume for now it is 150,000 and 400,000.
i just tested on wolf149, and indeed, the average speed is much higher than with non throttling. is this a real problem? or can i continue to press f10 during cut scenes, as long as it is not a top score? (as i will use wolf for that.)
i thought it would only be a problem if the average speed was lower than 95%.
cheers Barry.
8)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Obviously, increasing your speed can be a method of masking slowdown, which is why it (and fast-forward) are disabled when recording in WolfMAME.
Also, the DIP switch settings displayed are your current settings, and don't necessarily reflect the DIP switch settings of the INP. (Perhaps I need to do something about that...). For any INP submitted to MARP, you must use default settings, or harder, or TG settings.
- Barry Rodewald
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

aaaah!
i thought i could watch a replay and see dip's by pressing tab.
cheers Barry.
i think i'm done with Raiden. i spent ages hunting down tiny files to get versions to work, on a game i'm no good at.
ha!!!
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

...and so I did something about it. Created a -inplayout setup that will view the current DIP switches in an INP, and the defaults.

Still needs work, not sure if the need to read DIP switches from the default value in an ioport_port_live is a bug or completely intentional...
- Barry Rodewald
edusword
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by edusword »

This will be very useful!!! :P
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

You can now try it out if you wish, just re-download http://wolfmame.marpirc.net/wolfmame-0149.7z

To use, run with -iv 1 (or whichever player you're viewing), and hold Delete to view the DIP switches.
- Barry Rodewald
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

very nice!!
=D>