Gyruss: Vote

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Should Gyruss (gyruss) be changed to a 5-live only track?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:07 pm

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 16

Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Gyruss: Vote

Post by Zhorik »

Switching the parent Gyruss romset (gyruss) from marathon to 5-man settings has been proposed here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14944

This thread is for voting on this change. This vote will run for 7 days. Please use this poll to vote. If passed this change will only apply to the parent gyruss romset and the clone romsets will continue to use default settings. Existing replays will be grandfathered and adjusted to their score after the first 5 lives.
edusword
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: Gyruss: Vote

Post by edusword »

I voted yes...
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Mr. Kelly R. Flewin »

I'd like a 3rd option... being "Should there be a 5 Life option AND a Marathon setting for this title?"

Only as you can leave existent scores alone [as they were achieved under Marathon conditions and NOT specifically aiming for the goal of best within 5], and then the new field is open. It also prevents historical scores being missed because of a new allocation.

But then this is just me...

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Just a gaming junkie looking for his next High Score fix.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

Kelly,

MARP historically has not created multiple tracks for the same romset like that, so the proposed rule change is in keeping with how MARP keeps just one track per romset, while allowing 5-man play on the parent romset and marathon play on the clones.

-Goerge
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

Got back from summer holiday just in time to place my Yes vote for this change!! :)
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

now I like this idea !!!!!!
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin wrote:I'd like a 3rd option... being "Should there be a 5 Life option AND a Marathon setting for this title?"

Only as you can leave existent scores alone [as they were achieved under Marathon conditions and NOT specifically aiming for the goal of best within 5], and then the new field is open. It also prevents historical scores being missed because of a new allocation.

But then this is just me...

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
If you have a FB Account I'm Brian Allen
On KLOV and other sites I'm Simpsons99
Arcade Game Scores
DKJR 1,073,800 Level F Kill screen !
DK3 TG MED Skill Level 1,365,000 Level 80?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Could always just edit the score to be as it is after the 5th death...
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

Are we ready for the change?
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

Yes, voting is finished and the change passed my a large majority of 15-1.

So the gyruss romset is now a 5-man only track.

I was planning to take a pass through all the existing replays to determine their 5-man score so they can be adjusted (haven't had time to do this yet). If anybody else wants to help (and/or double check the scores), it would be greatly appreciated, especially with the pre-Wolf recordings. If somebody else checks scores of existing recordings, please post the 5-man scores for them on this thread.

Can we also get an editor to change the Special Rules for gyruss to indicate it is now a 5-man only track with a link to this vote?

Thanks,
George
CrazyKongFan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by CrazyKongFan »

Is there gonna be a note attached in the scores showing the original score, and it was changed to 5-man only? That'd leave the score for historical purposes, even if it wasn't ranked by it.
KIG666
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by KIG666 »

Zhorik wrote:If anybody else wants to help (and/or double check the scores), it would be greatly appreciated, especially with the pre-Wolf recordings. If somebody else checks scores of existing recordings, please post the 5-man scores for them on this thread.
Checked some non wolf recordings yesterday.

Here are the 5 man scores for them.

BeeJay 1.064.050
Cicca 542.950
JSW 472.650
KiLLerCloWn 411.150
Q.T.Quazar 326.100

Will check some more tonight if I find the time.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

CrazyKongFan wrote:Is there gonna be a note attached in the scores showing the original score, and it was changed to 5-man only? That'd leave the score for historical purposes, even if it wasn't ranked by it.

yes editors should be leaving notes in any edit. and it's a policy to leave the claimed score in the note. And if that's not enough, the link of the historical score will always be the original score when uploaded.
-skito
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

KIG666 wrote:Checked some non wolf recordings yesterday.

Here are the 5 man scores for them.

BeeJay 1.064.050
Cicca 542.950
JSW 472.650
KiLLerCloWn 411.150
Q.T.Quazar 326.100

Will check some more tonight if I find the time.
Thanks for that - especially some of the older games that can be hard to get working due to rom changes!! I've adjusted all these scores with relevant comments about it being a 5-lives score and including the original non-5-lives score in the comments. I'll try to find time myself to view the replays for some of the other scores, given that it was me that was pushing for this change at one point, and assuming I still have the older romsets needed to play these older recordings back successfully. :)

Cheers,
BeeJay.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

Someone other than me will need to confirm my 5 lives score as I can't confirm my own score and it's now gone unconfirmed after I edited the score. I've already confirmed the other games.

Also, I'm at work currently so can't check this but does anyone know what score is the "maximum" you can get without having enough points to have earned a 6th ship, so we know which scores we don't even need to review as they only had 5 or less ships anyway for that score?

Cheers,
BeeJay.
CrazyKongFan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by CrazyKongFan »

BeeJay wrote:Also, I'm at work currently so can't check this but does anyone know what score is the "maximum" you can get without having enough points to have earned a 6th ship, so we know which scores we don't even need to review as they only had 5 or less ships anyway for that score?.
assuming they've played on default settings (and the default settings haven't changed), you start with 3, get one at 30K, and every 60K afterwards, so you'd get the 4th ship at 30K, 5th ship at 90K and 6th at 150K. Any score under 150K would be with 5 ships or less. Actually, it looks like you can't make the ship award easier. The other setting is 40K and every 70K.