Special rules for Violent Storm?

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

GJTMarper
Button Masher
Button Masher

Special rules for Violent Storm?

Post by GJTMarper »

Seeing Phil's quest to get a recording from Violent Storm and its clones that doesn't desync at some point (and the problems that occurred during T14), I'm wondering if it would help for any future recording to require no sound and/or frameskip 0 to be accepted. Any opinions on this?
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Re: Special rules for Violent Storm?

Post by Haze »

I find this a bit odd, neither of these should make any difference to the recording in any version of MAME from the last 7-8 years.

the sound code ALWAYS runs regardless of the sound setting, the only thing that doesn't happen is it being sent to your speakers.

Unless there's some really bad code in the video update frameskip shouldn't cause issues either, I guess it's possible there's some bad code in the driver tho, but in that case it needs looking at in MAME.

I know we do have games that don't record properly for reasons unknown (I still don't understand things like the BRapBoys issue etc.) but I have a feeling the results of the options you're tweaking here are more of a placebo effect than anything else.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Actual viostorma/viostormeb/viostormj/viostormub playbacks fine using wolf106.
The problem is with viostorm (appeared in 0.150), viostormab (appeared in 0.142) and viostormu (appeared in 0.129) : they can't be recorded with wolf106, and with recent versions, it playbacks 50 % of the time if lucky, with regular desyncs at bosses (mainly stage 2 & 4).

I've tried with -sound none -fs 0 and got lucky at the beginning, but after I got some examples of desync even with that.
There is something else to find, which was good in 0.106 and not now.
Thanks Haze to look after the problem, I have no more ideas ...
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Idea from Notman : could it be possible that the problem is due to the nv files added Inside the rom (around 0.142 or so) ?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

No, it gives a static NVRAM state, although only when there is no existing NVRAM file in your NVRAM folder.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer