Neobombe-vs worth archiving?

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

GJTMarper
Button Masher
Button Masher

Neobombe-vs worth archiving?

Post by GJTMarper »

Considering there are now 8 scores of 20 wins (as per the special rule; 4 of them confirmed), is there any merit to archiving this title? Or maybe the special rules can be modified to factor in the score to break the ties at the top of the scoreboard?
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: Neobombe-vs worth archiving?

Post by giro-X »

I would opt for special rules like a score system that gives credit to victories and removes points for losses, but I dare you to playback all of those old recordings and tell. It would be a nice solution though, as it would open this apparently easy game mode to higher competition.
It would be a pity to mark such game as archived, even because we left as "unarchived" many way-too-easier games with max score reached, like Animalandia Jr. (seriously?!), Cleopatra Fortune (some minutes and you can learn how to counterstop and magically a game ended in 7-8 stages is worth more than a 1CC), and the list could go on. When I think of archived games, I recall trivia, bowling, card games, stuff like that.

But I truly agree that using no special rule on this VS-mode leaves a discretely easy opportunity for a cheap 1st place.

(Talking of archived games, I forgot to put a request of mine, thanks for reminding me somehow.)
(edit: ok I checked by myself, no need to put the request)
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

I agree that we need another scoring system.
First question : among the 20 scores, how many 20 x 2-0 ?
We can score like fighters : 10 x W - L

And if needed maybe with times ?
(but it would be a bit complicated I'm afraid)

Or a sort of time attack, with a score based on nb of frames to finish the game ?

Just a few ideas, I'm not familiar with that game.
What do you think is possible, Giro ?
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

Phil Lamat wrote:I agree that we need another scoring system.
First question : among the 20 scores, how many 20 x 2-0 ?
We can score like fighters : 10 x W - L

And if needed maybe with times ?
(but it would be a bit complicated I'm afraid)

Or a sort of time attack, with a score based on nb of frames to finish the game ?

Just a few ideas, I'm not familiar with that game.
What do you think is possible, Giro ?
Exclude time attack with in-game timer, as it doesn't stop when you win but when the screen fades to the scoreboard. It would be bothersome to decide how many seconds to count.
In this game, when a single match ends in a draw, nobody earns a point and theorically you can accumulate tons of draw games and still not lose; and on this basis I would opt for number of frames. But, draw game rarely happens, most of those times happen when you die too quickly and there are still two CPU enemies on screen; I'm not sure how much it's worth to consider the time over the W x10 - L.

Also, I must say that winning by waiting patiently that the timer reaches less than a minute is easier at times. When time runs out, the corners of the field are replaced with undestructible walls, and CPU is not really that smart to avoid being smashed by a wall or staying too close and being trapped in a dead end.

The other replays are quite old, 2003, 2004... those years. Hard for me to tell if people preferred to run a slow patient but flawless game, or they seeked for a quick thing by running into some defeats. If I knew that, then my opinion would not count as I'm involved in the scores.
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

one potential use for the ever improving lua-plugin support in MAME might be implementing custom scoring systems in games, where MAME and a script keeps track of the scoring based on various events rather than using the score shown by the game code.

of course you'd need somebody with a good understanding of the game internals, and an ability to code to do this in each case, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility if you found people interested enough.