rainbow island extra

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

essekappa
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

rainbow island extra

Post by essekappa »

It seems that this driver works very fine with the latest mame, but the game acts quite differently from older versions of mame; so much differently that I think we should delete our old recording for this set and play with mame 059 (btw it seems to me that now the game is much harder than before......)
Anno 79 dell'era spaziale........
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

Robert Gallagher is the one who helped make the lastest Rainbow changes. He would know if the rainbowe romset was changed, but I know the game name did not. Incidently, he had requested that I swap the INPs from rainbow with the ones from rainbowo. I will probably flip them, but need more time to research the why part.

I noticed you rolled over one of the versions. :D Do you know if the new version is much harder than the old or vice versa? :?
essekappa
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by essekappa »

My concern is about RIE only; Robert did a very good work, and he is probably the person who worked the more on making Rainbow Island Extra playable just like it was at the arcade (and he is a good player too); rainbowa and rainbow short names are changed but gameplay is still the same, but RIE is quite different (round 35 is pure hell) so I think I had to delete the old recording as it was done with a game that was not as it should have been.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Judging by the comments on his recordings, it looks like rainbow is now rainbowo, and rainbowa is now rainbow (the parent set), with rainbowe (extra version) staying as is. The difference is basically just that the C-Chip has been more faithfully emulated now.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
clockwork
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by clockwork »

Haven't come to the forums here for a long time;

rainbow became rainbowo with MAME .59
rainbowa became rainbow (parent set)
rainbowe remained the same. (romset, only roms renamed to reflect the chip labelling)

There are two known bugs that were present in Rainbow Islands (older version) that are fixed in Rainbow Islands Extra, which is known as a more recent set, hence the change. The details are explained in my MAME sources for Rainbow Islands >.59

The gameplay remains identical in both versions, only 'GOAL IN!' was enhanced with the new C-Chip data. RIE should as faithful to the original as we can get as it was an RIE board that was used to obtain the data.

DDR, glad to see you are able to get past the many 'kill' rounds in RIE. I just wish you were using mamew for the recordings as your DOS recordings won't play back properly for me (WinXP)

Robert Gallagher
essekappa
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by essekappa »

rainbowe remained the same. (romset, only roms renamed to reflect the chip labelling)
Only the name remained the same, the gameplay is quite different (and much harder) :(
I just wish you were using mamew for the recordings
I tried mamew but the game looks kinda "blurred" on my system, making the game awful to see and to play.

A few months ago I didn't even know about RIE, but thanks to Robert I've been able to play one of the best games ever, and thanks to his help (on the bubandbob.com rainbow island page) I've learned more than I would do playing 1000's times. I think I DO own something to him (I may come to London the first week of June, let me know if you're around I wil offer you something to drink :lol:
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

essekappa wrote: I tried mamew but the game looks kinda "blurred" on my system, making the game awful to see and to play.
I think i've said this often enough so forgive me if i've said this twice, try -nohws, it fixed the blury problems for me.
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Both StretchMAME and XMAME (OpenGL) can enable or disable bilinear filtering. Although, to be honest, switching off the filtering gives ugly-looking uneven 'pixels'. I much prefer filtering. MAME doesn't support the disabling of filtering as that requires Direct3D to do so.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer