4-D Warrior Poll

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Should we stop the leeching in 4-D Warrior?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:54 pm

Yes. Round 3 or more must be reached to make it harder to leech.
80%
No. Keep it as it is.
20%
Neither. Something must be done, but this don't work.
No votes

Total votes: 5

Frankie
Editor

4-D Warrior Poll

Post by Frankie »

Hi

This is my first poll, so I hope I do it right.

I've just watched MD@Team7us's '4dwarrio' recording, and its an extremely educational recording of leeching, sorry MD :D

I can't remember what round Kale got to in his recording, but he's playing the game as it should be played.

I think it's about time we do something about this game. Therefore I suggest that it's only allowed to submit recordings where round 3 or more is reached. That way you can still leech in the first rounds, but with the risk that you lose enough lives, so that you don't get to the third round that MUST be reached.

The good players can then leech as much as they want from round 3 and on, at least it gets difficult to do that from there and on.

To make the round that must be reached higher than 3 would be unfair I think. Everyone should have a chance of submitting a score for the game, and I think round 3 should be possible for everyone, even I can do that :D

Now, let's do something about this game.

Bye.
MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Re: 4-D Warrior Poll

Post by MDenham »

Frankie wrote:Hi

This is my first poll, so I hope I do it right.

I've just watched MD@Team7us's '4dwarrio' recording, and its an extremely educational recording of leeching, sorry MD :D

Yeah, it is. No apology needed - that's what I was trying to demonstrate. That area with the bouncing heads and floating Darth Vader masks is great for leeching until the heads come back in for the second time (it gets a LOT harder at that point).
Frankie wrote:I can't remember what round Kale got to in his recording, but he's playing the game as it should be played.

I think it's about time we do something about this game. Therefore I suggest that it's only allowed to submit recordings where round 3 or more is reached. That way you can still leech in the first rounds, but with the risk that you lose enough lives, so that you don't get to the third round that MUST be reached.
This is where I have problems - I have trouble getting to round 3 even without leeching. And, considering how you only get three extra lives (30k, 70k, and 100k), I'm in favor of saying you can leech once per round until you die for the first time - then you MUST complete that area as quickly as possible.

BTW, it's also possible to blow up some of the side-area exits (takes a LOT of shots, though), for both points and (IIRC) a power-up to the main weapon.
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

MDenham wrote:
This is where I have problems - I have trouble getting to round 3 even without leeching. And, considering how you only get three extra lives (30k, 70k, and 100k), I'm in favor of saying you can leech once per round until you die for the first time - then you MUST complete that area as quickly as possible.
That might be more fair for players who can't reach round 3. Anyone on this?

The vote have actually ended as it ran for 7 days. What must/will be done now?

Do we delete older recordings where players don't get to the third round or will this new rule only apply to new recordings made from today and on?

Bye.
MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by MDenham »

Frankie wrote:
MDenham wrote:
That might be more fair for players who can't reach round 3. Anyone on this?

The vote have actually ended as it ran for 7 days. What must/will be done now?

Do we delete older recordings where players don't get to the third round or will this new rule only apply to new recordings made from today and on?

Bye.
Also, by "round 3" do you mean the set of four areas after the 2nd boss [3-1 to 3-4], or do you mean the area before the 1st boss [1-3]? (If it's the second one, ignore my objection.)
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

MDenham wrote: Also, by "round 3" do you mean the set of four areas after the 2nd boss [3-1 to 3-4], or do you mean the area before the 1st boss [1-3]? (If it's the second one, ignore my objection.)
You need to get to Round 3 - Area 1. Round 1 - Area 3 would be way to easy.

Please someone tell me what to do now the voting is done.

Bye.
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

Well, it's now the editor's responsibility to filter out the now illegal recordings. I know Steve Krogman and Bubble are now guilty, at least last I looked (shoot, I've been talking about those two a lot recently), and I know I'm not guilty. :)

I'm guessing that the new web maintainer, whoever he is, will mention the new rule on the news page by June 8.
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

Sounds good Gameboy. Thank you.

Bye.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Does anyone know what happened to Steve Krogman, Bubble, Krool, A.D. Sakuragi, and Ken Okamoto? Just wondering.

Glad this is finally getting worked out - I played this game a while ago and just leeched.......leeched......leeeeched. 8)
MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by MDenham »

Okay, now that a decision's been made - if you end up in that area in the first two rounds, are you required to go after the little flame figure as quickly as possible, or can you try and pick up a few extra secondary weapon charges first (going after bouncing heads - which is NOT a low-risk activity, by any means, as you have to shoot out their projectiles, and dodge low-flying Vader heads - but it still triggers the gold mask, which is what the leeching is, mostly, along with shooting Vader heads for 500 points apiece)?
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

You can't tell anyone to get through an area as quick as possible, as that would be different from player to player. The way I put up the vote, you can still do some leeching in the first rounds, but it might be risky to do it, in case you lose some lives doing it, meaning that you don't get to the required Round 3.

Bye.
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

Hmmm, I've just seen the Special Rules link added to this game. It says no leeching before round 3. The vote was that only recordings where you reach round 3 would be legal, making it more dangerous to leech in the first rounds.

Its hard to decide in this game, what is leeching and what's not. With this rule you could even say that Kale's great recording is leeching. The Special Rules link should say something like this:

'Only recording where round 3 or more is reached is allowed, making it more dangerous to leech in the easy rounds.'

I just believe that its to hard to tell/decide what is leeching.

Bye.
MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by MDenham »

Frankie wrote:Hmmm, I've just seen the Special Rules link added to this game. It says no leeching before round 3. The vote was that only recordings where you reach round 3 would be legal, making it more dangerous to leech in the first rounds.

Its hard to decide in this game, what is leeching and what's not. With this rule you could even say that Kale's great recording is leeching. The Special Rules link should say something like this:

'Only recording where round 3 or more is reached is allowed, making it more dangerous to leech in the easy rounds.'

I just believe that its to hard to tell/decide what is leeching.

Bye.
See, this is why I think we need some sort of real definition of what leeching would be in this game.

I'd like to suggest the following definition:
  1. You must be in the turquoise side area (the only area with very low risk - it's possible, but harder, to do something of this sort in the cloud area with the fried-egg guys);
  2. You must not be trying to go after the bouncing heads (if you ignore them, they go away for a while, reducing the number of things to pay attention to - requiring people to shoot them a certain percentage of the time, say 95%, makes things more difficult);
  3. You may or may not be shooting at the Vader heads. These are worth 500 points apiece, and they reset the masks, but they make it harder to dodge.
  4. You must be attempting to get as many gold masks as possible. These make up the majority of the leeching points usually, since these run between 600 and 2000 points apiece (I haven't figured out how it determines the value of these).
  5. Finally, you cannot hit the flame-figure (three hits on it gives you 3000 points and completes the area) before scoring, say, 10k (so your first run through would be considered leeching if you pick up an extra life before exiting).