Marp Rules Section 2j, Recording More Than One Game Per .inp

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Should One Be Allowed To Record More Than One Game Per .inp Session?

Yes, for all games
11%
No, not for any game
83%
Yes, but only if it takes a reasonable time to reach the submitted game
6%

Total votes: 18

LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Marp Rules Section 2j, Recording More Than One Game Per .inp

Post by LordGaz »

I move that one should be allowed to record more than one game per .inp for certain types of game. For example, I would like to have a 10 game continuous blast at Marble Madness and submit the best score achieved. This would save me having to escape out of MAME and re-running the game and waiting the initial 10 seconds for the game to initialize for each attempt.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

is it really that hard to press esc and uparrow and return? I guess that assumes you have doskey or bash script. still make a script called r.bat in mame that records the game you want (deletes the nvram and hiscore.dat even) and all you have to do to restart is "esc, r, return". yeah marble maddness takes a few seconds to load, much less of a pain than watching through 9 150k scores to see a 200k score... i think mame is codeable so that when you press F3 it would restart writing the inp file too, but zwaxy tried that a while back and had problems.
-skito
cosumel
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by cosumel »

Here's something I do to make it even easier. I love bat files. I even have a c:\belfry I have a bat file called r.bat that I have mentioned other places, but I also have a z.bat that has one line:

r

and the name of the game that I am trying to get a better score on. Right now it is:

r gridiron

I just hit <esc> to end one game and then <z> to do it again. To keep from having to wait for the game to load up, as soon as you hit OK, tap then F8 and F10 to go into throttled frameskip-11, then hit F10 and F9 to get it back to normal. It works.
Ray
"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers.
You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." - Naguib Mahfouz
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

you can also start mamew at full speed (nothrottling) with -frameskip 11 -nothrottle (lets you avoid having to hit F10 and F8 first off). of course if you do this and forget to press F9 and the credit key for a while you'll have a large inp :)

the only thing i have against bat's is microsoft (belfry is cute.) bash scripts are the bomb, lets you put in marp filename as an input and will pick the right mame version and game name to play (with some help of other gnu tools of course sed and cut.) so if you've just downloaded a bunch of marp.zip files you can go

playback *.zip

and the bash script will unzip the right mame version and playback each zip one after the other (between hiting esc of course)
-skito
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

With a little bit of work, you can do that with MS DOS too. I use batches to delete NVRAM prior to gameplay or playback, and will take the time to unzip the INP file before playing it back.
-roncli
[Poor sig. :P --SarcasmCli]
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

[quote="Chad"]you can also start mamew at full speed (nothrottling) with -frameskip 11 -nothrottle (lets you avoid having to hit F10 and F8 first off). of course if you do this and forget to press F9 and the credit key for a while you'll have a large inp :)

Just for said that every time I try this trick the inp don't playback.

François
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

yeah, it's possible that certain games can't be played back if you record with fs11 and nothrottleing, gotta be careful with the mysteries of the inp.
-skito