Baseball games lenght.

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Game lenght, no matter how many credits must be used.

Poll ended at Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:43 pm

Let's play 3 innings.
9%
Let's play 6 innings.
No votes
Let's play a whole game of 9 innings.
73%
One credit only.
18%

Total votes: 11

QRS
Editor

RE:

Post by QRS »

So what happened to the MARP explicit ONE credit only rule? Game after game is now "converted" to more than one coin/game. I don´t mean to offend anyone but I refer to the playchoice issue we had about one year ago.. More than one continue is STILL not allowed on those. We found another way to deal with it (the time thing).

There are prolly hundred games out there that should be better with more continues etc, but where will it end? Right now it seems strange to me that a poll can change such a "grand" law on marp as the "one credit only".

Just my two cents.

ps: I want to hear what the editors say about this. If any of them are active at all.

QRS
QRS
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

Put simply, it's not appropriate for some games.

And 2/3 or more can overturn just about anything here. If you're against one credit, vote against it, and try to convince others to do the same. :)
-roncli
[Poor sig. :P --SarcasmCli]
Frankie
Editor

Re: RE:

Post by Frankie »

QRS wrote:So what happened to the MARP explicit ONE credit only rule? Game after game is now "converted" to more than one coin/game. I don´t mean to offend anyone but I refer to the playchoice issue we had about one year ago.. More than one continue is STILL not allowed on those. We found another way to deal with it (the time thing).

There are prolly hundred games out there that should be better with more continues etc, but where will it end? Right now it seems strange to me that a poll can change such a "grand" law on marp as the "one credit only".

Just my two cents.

ps: I want to hear what the editors say about this. If any of them are active at all.

QRS
Hi QRS

Have you ever played any of these Baseball games? I find it very annoying that you have to stop after a few innings.

When you play platform games, shooters, maze or whatever type of game, you can complete them on one credit if you are good enough. But on most Baseball games you can't even finish one match no matter how good you are at it.

So, its not your own fault that you have to stop at that point, like after 3 innings or after 2 minutes.

If Bubble Bobble ran on time and not on lives, I would be in favour of allowing more credits there aswell. Try and imagine that one credit on Bubble Bobble would be equal to ten minutes of playing time. How boring would that be, very boring if you ask me.

It's just no pleasure to play or to watch those 3 innings Baseball games IMHO, and its also easier to find a new formula that eliminates a lot of draws when you play more innings.

Well, that's my two cents :)

Bye.
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

Kale wrote:Several soccer games don't need paper and pencil.Just use the in-game score,like in Super Sidekicks 1,2,3...
and I do *not* understand,why scoring for every single inning?It's like to (example)give an Half Time score for Kick and Run/Mexico '86...
Basicly I would like to use a formula a bit like the football formula because I believe its the best way to eliminate draws.

How about you come up with a formula yourself that does this :?:

Bye.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Re: RE:

Post by Chad »

QRS wrote:So what happened to the MARP explicit ONE credit only rule? Game after game is now "converted" to more than one coin/game. I don´t mean to offend anyone but I refer to the playchoice issue we had about one year ago.. More than one continue is STILL not allowed on those. We found another way to deal with it (the time thing).

QRS
having a "boosted" credit in play choice isn't the same as a high and might one credit rule. It's really like having 39 credits if you think of it one way. I was pretty much against having more than one credit for anything, but the playchoice vote was a vote that convinced me you just need more time to play some games or they can't really be played completely.

And please think twice scoring baseball with a footbal scoring method, they are different games you know. In baseball you can't steal the ball away from the oppenent while playing defence preventing them from scoring, you have to lob it to them and see if they can hit it into the net (over the fence...)
-skito
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

Well, like I said.. there are games where continue might be in favour, and I agree with that. The only thing I think is strange is why not more than one credit even was an option on the playchoice games? I mean those games were almost about to be archived before the time-thingie was changed :)

And don´t take me wrong here, cause I was one of the few that though that more credits should be allowed on those.

My main question is only this: Why was it so hard to set a rule with more credits back then, when it seems so easy now?

Cheers my fellow Marpers!

QRS
QRS
MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by MDenham »

Frankie wrote:
Chad wrote:yeah that one is pretty bad, i'd axe it and have only three choice unless there is a last minute scoring method to be presented, Frankie will make the final call.
I think we should wait a few days. I've been thinking about my formula, how to go around that you can score more by loosing than by winning and I've also realised your point about the defence Skito. Therefore I want to change my formula to this:
Okay, so we've determined that any good scoring system should meet the following criteria:
  1. Any game that results in a win should have a positive score;
  2. Any game that results in a loss should have a score lower than the lowest possible winning score;
  3. For all games with a score difference X, the one with the highest score should be a shutout, and as the opponent scores more runs, the score drops;
  4. For all games where the player scores X runs, the one with the highest score is again a shutout, and as the opponent scores more runs, the score drops; and
  5. (Can we agree on this, at least?) The value of a game in extra innings decreases as the total score increases.
Let's see if we can use this to narrow down the scoring methods a bit.
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

I disagree with points 3 and 5.

IMHO, 1-0 should equal 2-1, should equal 3-2, etc.

I also don't see why games that go into extra innings should be penalized. If it takes 24 innings to win a game, it's still a single win. Likewise, if someone wins 2-1 in 24 innings, it's still a one run game.

But less talk. More vote. :)
-roncli
MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by MDenham »

roncli wrote:I disagree with points 3 and 5.

IMHO, 1-0 should equal 2-1, should equal 3-2, etc.

I also don't see why games that go into extra innings should be penalized. If it takes 24 innings to win a game, it's still a single win. Likewise, if someone wins 2-1 in 24 innings, it's still a one run game.

But less talk. More vote. :)
The reason for point 3 is that (unless the difficulty is really low on the game) a shutout is harder to get than allowing 1 run and so on; as far as point 5, well, that's the one that isn't absolutely necessary.
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

Well, let's leave that opinion up to the polls. :) I'm guessing Frankie's getting everything together, and will start it soon. :)
-roncli
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I agree with point 3 and so does the divisor method :) and the reason being in a 1-0 soccer game can be achieved by scoring first then playing keep away (focusing your attention from not letting them score rather than scoring.) The other team might get the ball once after the goal but not 27+ chances like in baseball! a 1-0 baseball game you still have to play defence (potentially 27+ times) letting the other team have the offense for a while so it's harder to achieve than a 2-1.
-skito
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

If anyone have a scoring system they think would be good for Baseball games, please hurry and let us know. I'll prepare the next poll soon, so hurry up :)

So far we have 3 formulas in the vote. The one from Skito, Roncli and my own.

Bye.
MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by MDenham »

Frankie wrote:If anyone have a scoring system they think would be good for Baseball games, please hurry and let us know. I'll prepare the next poll soon, so hurry up :)

So far we have 3 formulas in the vote. The one from Skito, Roncli and my own.

Bye.
Finally came up with a nice, SIMPLE one that meets the first four criteria I mentioned:

Score = 100 + (20-losing team's score) * (your score - computer's score).

The one notable breakdown occurs when both teams score more than 20 runs (scoring reverses there)... but we can increase that 20 to 50, say, if we start seeing a lot of 35-21 losses in baseball games (114 points, equivalent to 25-18, 13-11, or 6-5).
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

Phil Lamat wants this scoring system to be entered into the vote:

10*RunsScored - RunsAllowed

I just thought you all should know. I've been asked to postpone the next poll for about a week, so there's still time to let us know your formula :)

Bye.
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

MDenham wrote:Finally came up with a nice, SIMPLE one that meets the first four criteria I mentioned:

Score = 100 + (20-losing team's score) * (your score - computer's score).

The one notable breakdown occurs when both teams score more than 20 runs (scoring reverses there)... but we can increase that 20 to 50, say, if we start seeing a lot of 35-21 losses in baseball games (114 points, equivalent to 25-18, 13-11, or 6-5).
That's not a good idea. You have to set the number from the start. Otherwise we'll have to go through all recordings again as soon as we raise the number from 20 to 50.

Bye.