Baseball games lenght.

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Game lenght, no matter how many credits must be used.

Poll ended at Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:43 pm

Let's play 3 innings.
9%
Let's play 6 innings.
No votes
Let's play a whole game of 9 innings.
73%
One credit only.
18%

Total votes: 11

Frankie
Editor

Baseball games lenght.

Post by Frankie »

A little while ago, Phil Lamat ran a poll to find another way to count Baseball games. Back then it proved to be a problem, to use this new scoring system in games that ran on time, and not on numbers of innings played. That's because in some games the opponent would not get to play, and therefore there would not be any defence play.

The only way to get around that problem is, if we allow a number of innings to be played no matter how many credits that would take, like we already do in Golf games.

Back then Phil's poll showed that a majority was for his proposal of using this scoring system: 10 x (pts for) - pts against. With that system we'll still get a lot of draws, no matter how many innings we play. So when this poll about the length of a game is over, I'll start a debate here on the board
where we'll try to find some ways to score these games, that would eliminate a lot of draws.

Everyone can give their opinion on this, and all scoring systems that is not rejected because they are proven useless, or not fulfilling the goal of eliminating draws, will go into a new poll to find the best possible way to score Baseball games.

The reason why I want to wait with the debate until after this poll, is that the length of a game could be important to the new scoring system. There are scoring systems that would work better with games involving many innings, and others work better on games with few innings.

This poll will run for 7 days.

Bye
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

IMHO, Baseball games should be 9 innings, just like... uh... baseball. :D

Of course, there will be exceptions, like "Bottom of the 9th" wouldn't quite cut it, because it starts in the late innings.
-roncli
[Poor sig. :P --SarcasmCli]
MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by MDenham »

I'm going to qualify my vote for "a full 9-inning game" as follows:

If it's tied after 9 innings, you should have to keep playing full innings until somebody's ahead at the end of the inning (just like real baseball).
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I agree with the 9 inning qualification, but if the game itself doesn't allow extra innings,you must start a new game (choosing the same teams if possible) and play untill you win or lose at the end of AN inning.
-skito
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

There's games that allow you to play the full game but not extra innings? :?
-roncli
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

none that i can recall, (maybe one, though i can't remeber the name) but i suspect it's possible, have to have rules for all possible outcomes...
-skito
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

What about games that gives the possibility of playing a league season?
Like Ah Eikou no Koshien or Baseball Stars 2???
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

That could be another poll option or maybe a possibly split game since everyone seems to want to split everything now a days. It's going to be hard enough to score find a scoring method for 9+ innings (next poll), scoring multiple games would be brutal, and the inp sizes of multiple 9 inning games would probably supercede the analogue recorded games in lenght! :) one game (you're best game) should be a good competition. plus, I don't think the baseball teams get "harder" as you play more games (at least in 2020 they don't) like they do with football. ALTHOUGH, at least with multiple games you don't pick a opponent that is the easiest, you play multiple opponents that may be different in difficulty not necesarily in that order.
-skito
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

Well,in Baseball Stars 2 the game becomes harder when you advance in the various matches.In Ah Eikou no Koshien you should simply "get the Koshien"(three/four matches,i can't remember now).
There are just 40 baseball games,and only 10(guess number) of them gives a season option.Just check all of them...

BTW I'm not worried about playing for 2-3 hours in Baseball Stars 2,would be afaik more interesting than NBA Jam...
MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by MDenham »

Chad wrote:It's going to be hard enough to score find a scoring method for 9+ innings (next poll).
Eh, what would be wrong with having it scored the same way no matter how many innings it goes (as long as it makes it to at least the end of the 9th)? I mean, that's about how real baseball works... :-)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

MDenham wrote:
Chad wrote:It's going to be hard enough to score find a scoring method for 9+ innings (next poll).
Eh, what would be wrong with having it scored the same way no matter how many innings it goes (as long as it makes it to at least the end of the 9th)? I mean, that's about how real baseball works... :-)
the debate begins:

so you're going to score it at marp: 1 for a win and 0 for a loss , how real base ball works :)

But seriously scoring is going to be hard to decide because nearly all scoring methods (offensive only, goal difference) do not pay attention to defensive score enough. In soccer keeping possetion of the ball is a part of the game and your offensive score "depends" on your good defensive score. In baseball this isn't the case. You are GIVEN defensive time, what you do with it should be appriciated, especially because you are given as much opportunity to "score points" (save points) on the defensive side as the offensive.
-skito
cosumel
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by cosumel »

Could we do something really off the wall, like using the slugging average and ERA? These take hitting, running, pitching and fielding in account.
Ray
"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers.
You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." - Naguib Mahfouz
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

Bottom line is we can play 9 innings now, correct?
-roncli
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

9 innings looks like a go. but don't go spaming inps just yet, wait till a scoring method is decided.
-skito
MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by MDenham »

Chad wrote:
MDenham wrote:
the debate begins:

so you're going to score it at marp: 1 for a win and 0 for a loss , how real base ball works :)

But seriously scoring is going to be hard to decide because nearly all scoring methods (offensive only, goal difference) do not pay attention to defensive score enough. In soccer keeping possetion of the ball is a part of the game and your offensive score "depends" on your good defensive score. In baseball this isn't the case. You are GIVEN defensive time, what you do with it should be appriciated, especially because you are given as much opportunity to "score points" (save points) on the defensive side as the offensive.
Good point. Okay, here's an idea:

Things that score for you: runs you've made, hits you've made, and walks and errors by the computer.

Things that score against you: runs the computer scores, hits the computer makes, and walks and errors you give up.

I'd score as follows:

Legend:
  • Rp = runs by player;
  • Re = runs by player in extra innings;
  • Rc = runs by computer;
  • Hp = hits by player;
  • Hc = hits by computer;
  • Wp = walks by player;
  • Wc = walks by computer;
  • Ep = errors by player;
  • Ec = errors by computer
Score = Rp * 100 + Re * 50 + Hp * 10 + Wc * 2 + Ec - (Rc * 20 + Hc * 5 + Wp + Ep)

So, given the final stats of:

You: 16 runs, 21 hits, two errors, no walks;
Computer: 3 runs, 4 hits, four errors, three walks;
in nine innings.

The score by this would be (16*100)+(0*50)+(21*10)+(3*2)+(4) - ((3*20)+(4*5)+0+2), or 1820 - 82 = 1738.

(Note: Well, now we've got one rather simple scoring system, easy to follow, and one that takes into consideration EVERYTHING. Something intermediate would be much better. Ideas?)