Something bizarre with inp files !!!

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

ok, then crank up the Virtual machine performance and record with that :) just kidding, but i was just asking if you can playback the recordings maybe you can record them too...
-skito
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Chad wrote:Maybe a good suggestion: if you can stand recording with out sound, try recording with out sound on the mac and then see if it plays back ok with out sound on a windos machine.
Yeah I have not tried that for yet. I might try that for a couple games and see if any difference. I don't see how sound on/off would affect where the monsters are though in the first board/stage/level of a game.

I think for most games though I would want the sound because that helps timing etc. for many games.
Oh for that matter, if you can test playing back on a windos machine why not record on that machine and not the mac ? :roll:
Because I am verifying if the inp files playback correctly in mame60 by running it in VirtualPC on my Mac. I don't have a "real" DOS/Windows machine. Even for games like the pacmans etc. I get only about 20-30fps even without sound etc. through the PC emulation. No way I am going to play those games with that kind of frameskipping going on. It's just a way I can test if the recording from MacMAME will work ok for you guys on your PCs before submitting.

Someone mentioned though that most inps from MacMAME play ok in XMAME. Has anyone tried linux and XMAME on a PC to see if any difference in inp playbacks? I have not submitted any inps yet that don't playback successfully in DOSmame or winmame or mame32. When I do perhaps someone here has XMAME in Linux and can test the inp playback then.
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

JoeyL21988 wrote:Huh? Why can't you take a crack at it with MAME32?
Nah, I just don't know how to play the slow version yet. I could take a crack at it now, but would suck harshly.
-roncli
[Poor sig. :P --SarcasmCli]
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Ah. I understand. I suck at most games, so I would know. :)
omnigon
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by omnigon »

I've been trying to figure out how to use this .inp also.

We got a Ms Pacman machine here at work and theres sort of a competition going on amongst the employees and I'm trying to get really good. I'd love to see Neil's methodology but can't get this bugger to work. I d/l'ed an .inp with a version of Mame to play it but it just opens a dos prompt then flashes some text too fast to see then closes.

Does anyone here have the necesasry .inp/Mame/ROM needed to view this recording? I'd really really really appreciate it. any link to what exactly I need, (and probably any instructions regarding the use of hte DOS Mame) would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
n00b
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Hi,
It might be tough to get some older recordings to work.

I'd suggest you first try the second ranked recording(inp) by Mr Hayes
http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... xlines=999
Just click the "wolf100" to get the inp(recording)
click "get mame" to get correct mame version
Posting links for roms is not allowed, so you can try google and search mspacman.zip etc...

Before playback make sure you can play the game yourself with same version, so then you know you have downloaded valid roms.
If you abso-absolutely can not find roms, try marpirc or just email someone.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

omnigon wrote:I've been trying to figure out how to use this .inp also.

We got a Ms Pacman machine here at work and theres sort of a competition going on amongst the employees and I'm trying to get really good. I'd love to see Neil's methodology but can't get this bugger to work. I d/l'ed an .inp with a version of Mame to play it but it just opens a dos prompt then flashes some text too fast to see then closes.

Does anyone here have the necesasry .inp/Mame/ROM needed to view this recording? I'd really really really appreciate it. any link to what exactly I need, (and probably any instructions regarding the use of hte DOS Mame) would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Good luck getting Neil's old recording to work; I was never able to get it to work under XP, and I tried hard. First you'll have to find the old ROMs (they've changed), and then I think you'll have to use a Windows 95 or 98 machine. As TJT mentioned, Don's recording shows excellent grouping techniques and should be easy to get to playback. If you really want to see a recording of Neil's techniques, I'd suggest PMing Neil either here and/or on the Twin Galaxies forum and he'll probably send you one recorded in a recent MAME version. He sent me one.

-George