Newbie food fight question

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

P0E
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Newbie food fight question

Post by P0E »

Ive been trying to record food fight. I removed the nvram file but when I do this the controls go haywire. When I replace it again the controls work fine. Is there anyway I can play this game without the nvram and have my controls behave normally? Im using win .59. Thanks
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

no biggie, i just recorded with out the nvram/foodf.nv file and played it back fine. the trick is you have to remove the foodf.nv file BEFORE playback too as well as before recording. to eliminate the hastle just remove the nvram dir and you won't have to worry about it unless you unzip the mame distribution file (which recreates the nvram dir) and then make sure to delete the directory again.
-skito
P0E
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by P0E »

The problem isn't with the record or playback, that works fine. The problem is with the controls. Without the nvram file I can't move up or down or left and right, only diaganoly. It also sticks to the right so when i'm not pushing the controls at all he walks to the right. When the nv file is present the controls respond as they should. Without this file its nearly impossible for me to play.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

oh! I think that is because your analog settings are because of the controler requiring you to calibrate your joystick (which calibration settings are stored in the nvram) for each game. If you start playing with out an nvram file, hit F2 to go into test mode and do calibration (proly with the keyboard controls since the joystick won't let you move through the menus) and then calibrate the joystick, then see if that makes it control ok. If that makes it ok, then you will have to do this each time you record (but you can still practice with an nvram file.)

One of my joysticks (i think my flight stick) needs to do this, so i just use the analog stick on my interact axis and it doesn't need to be calibrated each time so i can leave the nvram file deleted before playing.
-skito
P0E
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by P0E »

Hey thanks alot, that did the trick! Unfortunately its just like you said it would be. I have to calibrate each time I play. Thats ok though I can live with it :D . Thx again.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Joysticks? Ahh you guys are whimps! hehe

Real men use the keyboard and mouse. :P

Man I really wonder how much better I would play some games if I had one of those arcade joysticks like the x-arcade.

The main reason I haven't gotten one is beacuse they all are 8-way joysticks and for most of the games where I really would want a joystick(like all the pac-man type games) I need a 4-way joystick.

That reminds me I have a Food Fight score from a few weeks ago I have to submit that is good for 2nd. Seems the cgi stuff for uploads is having issues right now though. I'll try again later.
P0E
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by P0E »

Thats crazy cause Food Fight uses something like a 32 direction joystick. You really need an analog to get the arcade feel. I do good just to use an eight direction joy. If you have a score that high using the keyboard you truly are a Food Fight god. 8O
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

yes, the mouse works great for Food Fight cuz it's actually an analog control....as well as for driving games that use an analog steering wheel thing.

One of those fancy joystick devices likely wouldn't help me score higher in Food Fight. it would help in other games though...especially if I could get a 4-way joystick(anyone make just a simple USB 4-way joystick device?). I do fairly well with the cursor keys for that but when it comes to doing things like a wiggle you just can't wiggle very well with the cursor keys.
P0E
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by P0E »

I just tried using the mouse for Food Fight and found it to be unwieldly. The problem I found is that the mouse doesn't center itself. Ie. You're running to the right and wish to stop. Rather than center the joystick you have to inch the mouse to the left until Chuck comes to a stop. With a joy or an analog you just release the controls and they return to their center position. I would love a smoothe analog controller that just pivots in a nice round circle. Unfortunatley im only using an eight direction game pad which severely limits my scope. A mouse is good in that regard if you don't have an analog controller. Until then I'll stick with the gamepad. :wink:
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

yeah I see that as well. I found adjusting the analog sensitivity though can help some. It is harder to aim and throw different directions without moving versus the arcade game with a joystick.

I am gonna have to watch those inps to see if you guys are starting at level 1 or advancing as far up as you can for that game.

In my play I have always started at Level 1. Those slow levels IMHO are actually a little harder than the later ones like Level 15 where you start to get some serious speed. It's a little easier once up there cuz you know the chefs are gonna throw everything as quickly as they can versus the slower levels where they hold it for a bit then toss it. That immediate tossing makes it a little easier to anticipate where the food is gonna be flying. hehe
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

I tell you what would be good for this game, an N64 controller. Whether or not it will work is another story though as I've never tried using an N64 controller with mame before. It's worth looking into though.
Darren
JoustGod
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by JoustGod »

An Atari 5200 controller wouldn't be a bad idea if you could get over the non-centering issue.