Moderator: BBH

Donut
Button Masher
Button Masher

Mahjong games: mjnquest, mjnquesb, chinmoku

Post by Donut »

I have some takes on some of the mahjong games:

Mahjong Quest and Mahjong Quest (No Nudity):
I am not so sure as to when the 100k bonus should be applied. I see in the "special rules" page that the first 100k should be when the player "reaches the castle".

(1) http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/phl_mjnq ... _m37b8.zip
(Score posted as 252,400)
There were 4 mahjongs. All 4 times the player advanced in the "map". Are the bonuses when the player reaches the castle and when she leaves?

(2) http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/phl_mjnq ... mame60.zip
There were 4 mahjongs. All 4 times the player advanced in the "map".
The 100k is applied all 4 times.

(3) http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/ozz_mjnq ... _win55.zip
(Score posted as 14,600)
2 mahjongs, but they were against one girl at one spot on the map. Also 2 tenpais. No 100k bonus used here.

I have a new score I'm posting as 339,900
(4) http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/wpc_mjnq ... _win61.zip
I have 5 mahjongs and 5 advances on the map, but I'm applying the 100k when I enter and leave the castle and when I enter the cave.

I'm thinking of creating a poll with these choices (the scores above would show as follows):
100k per mahjong + 100x score accumulated
(1) 452400 (2) 508000 (3) 214600 (4) 539900

or: 100k per map advance + 100x score accumulated
(1) 452400 (2) 508000) (3) 114600 (4) 539900

or: 100x score accumulated (no 100k bonuses)
(1) 52400 (2) 108000 (3) 14600 (4) 39900

or: 100k entering/leaving castle, entering/leaving cave
(1) 252400 (2) 308000 (3) 14600 (4) 339900

The other game in question is Mahjong Chinmoku no Hentai, the game with the military theme. Each land area (A through F) has 3 battle sites (sub, battleship, tank, etc.). If you finish one battle site (3 mahjongs) and you go to the next battle site on the same land area the score doesn't reset. There are a certain total number of mahjongs to clear the land area.
Also, each round you can change land areas. Each one has a different score. Should this one be scored at 100k per land area cleared (in which case none of us has done yet)?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I feel that 100k per opponent beaten is at times silly, especially when the number of hands needed to win varies, as in the case of these RPG-like games. I haven't looked at Mahjong Quest as yet, but with Quest of Jongmaster [janshin] it would probably be better if rather than 100k per opponent, it should maybe be 100 (or 1000?) x experience awarded.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

First my apologizes to Donut to have not answer before : I haven't seen that thread before, I discovered it with Barry's answer

When I've tried to find a scoring for mahjong games, these quest games (mjnquest/mjnquesb/janshin) were a pain

100k for entering castle is not good (I will change the rules link ; I had already changed it on my page but forgot the link) because I discover recently that you can skip some opponents to enter it without playing any hand !

100k per opponent beaten, even if (I know Barry) it is heavy in this type of mj, is IMO the best way to reward :
1°) how far you can go in your quest
2°) values of your hand

Without 100k bonus, someone with a good first hand (let say 48000) who lose again 2nd opponent will be better than Donut with his 5 victories which allowed him to be the only one to reach the cave (in mjnquesb)

Concerning experience (EXP) this is hard to count with that because it is not always display by the game

PS:
concerning chinmoku, Donut, no problem : I know you can change opponent before winning the 3mj-fight, but it is simply not your interest : if you want the 100k bonus just finish the fight against the opponent you start with
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Phil Lamat wrote:Concerning experience (EXP) this is hard to count with that because it is not always display by the game
What do you mean? You get experience for each opponent you beat, just like a real RPG.

Looking at Donut's janshin recording, he got 130 experience total (80 + 10 + 20 + 20). And in mine, I got 986 experience (80 + 11 + 10 + 20 + 25 + 20 + 800 + 20).

By counting experience you get rewarded better for beating the bosses, rather than just fighting every little opponent that comes along.
- Barry Rodewald
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Yes you're right ; I've missed that EXP stuff ; and it might be the simple way to count this type of games ; I'm ok to do the change if Donut is ok

By the way, what RPG means ?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

RPG = Role-playing game. In the cases of Mahjong Quest and Quest of Jongmaster, they are (outside of the mahjong thing) very much like the SNES Final Fantasy games (and probably other RPGs of that era).
- Barry Rodewald
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

And now we all know why experience should be counted and not just 100k per opponent.
- Barry Rodewald
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

It's hard matter. Exp is very important but number opponents defeated too is very important because is more hands to play and more risk to defeat.
Maybe add to score Exp*100(janshin example)?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I don't think so. A straight 100k for each opponent is silly, because some opponents will obviously take more to beat than others, and be harder to defeat. I would much rather praise progress over the sheer number of opponents beaten.
- Barry Rodewald
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Me too : it is a quest, the farest guy might be the hiscore ; if you play mjnquest, destructor, you will see that number of small opponents on the way to castles are random ; for example you can have 4 or none before 1st castle !

Let's count EXP for janshin/mjnquesb/mjnquest !
Maybe time for a poll Barry ?