...awww geez (Baseball Redux)

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

How should games with the mercy rule be handled?

Game ends when mercy rule is invoked
75%
Ignore the mercy rule
25%

Total votes: 8

MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

...awww geez (Baseball Redux)

Post by MDenham »

Seems I started a little bit of a discussion over how to handle the mercy rule. Oopsie. :roll: Let's try and clarify this.

(Once we decide whether or not to worry about the mercy rule, we'll try and come up with modifications to the scoring for the mercy rule. I'm in favor of either a 5-point bonus for each unplayed inning, or the 100-point win bonus being changed to 100 * (9/innings played).)
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

If the ROM says the game is over, the game should be over on MARP and a bonus should be awarded in one form or another. I'm publicly voting Aye on option A.
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

Okay, it seems people are really upset about this, so we probably have to drop the whole full 9+ innings game idea, where you can't continue, of some reason.

What about games that end as soon as you get behind in score? With the scoring system voted for we can't score these games, as it doesn't handle games where you lose. I hate the idea that you can't upload just because you can't win a game. A little like if you can't complete Toki, you can't submit for it :)

I agree the Mercy Rule is a mess, and it seems most of you guys think so as well. So, we have to find some sort of solution by using a different scoring system to award players good enough to win by the Mercy Rule I think.

I think we need to find a solution to all these types of games before continuing going through the games.

1 - Games without Mercy Rule, that allows to continue. Solution: Play 9+ innings using Roncli's scoring system.

2 - Games with Mercy Rule where you can't continue. Solution: Find way to award players on how fast they manage to do this.

3 - Games with Mercy Rule where you can continue (is there any of these?). Solution: Play a whole game of 9+ innings using Roncli's scoring system.

4 - Games that stop as soon as the computer gets the lead. Solution: Either start a new game to play a whole game of 9+ innings using Roncli's scoring system, or stop when the computer wins and award the player for how many innings he lasted, using a new scoring system, as Roncli's would not do any good here. Problem: A high bonus should be awarded, if someone can win the game on one credit, so that he gets more points than someone who lasted 8 innings, before he lost the game.

These are the different types of Baseball games I've seen (except No.3). Let's find a solution to the last 3 types of games.

Now, let's work together to find some solutions.

Bye.
Frankie
MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by MDenham »

Frankie wrote:2 - Games with Mercy Rule where you can't continue. Solution: Find way to award players on how fast they manage to do this.

4 - Games that stop as soon as the computer gets the lead. Solution: Either start a new game to play a whole game of 9+ innings using Roncli's scoring system, or stop when the computer wins and award the player for how many innings he lasted, using a new scoring system, as Roncli's would not do any good here. Problem: A high bonus should be awarded, if someone can win the game on one credit, so that he gets more points than someone who lasted 8 innings, before he lost the game.
I'm not sure if anyone (besides you) noticed that there are games where if the computer takes the lead, the game ends.

As far as the mercy rule goes, if you can't continue, we'll do another (?!) poll to decide what kind of bonus to award.

With the games where the computer taking the lead ends the game... mmph, let's score these the same as games with a mercy rule and no continuation.

BTW - the current rules do allow losing games to be worth points, it's just straight run differential, so it's worth a lot less.
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

A little update:
1 - Games without Mercy Rule, that allows to continue. Solution: Play 9+ innings using Roncli's scoring system.
No problem here, use Roncli's scoring system.
2 - Games with Mercy Rule where you can't continue. Solution: Find way to award players on how fast they manage to do this.
The poll is over, and it was decided to stop the game when it ends by Mercy Rule. The question now is, should we award players for winning by the Mercy Rule? Suggestions please.
3 - Games with Mercy Rule where you can continue (is there any of these?). Solution: Play a whole game of 9+ innings using Roncli's scoring system.
I haven't found any of these yet, so we'll take this up when we find one :)
As Matt suggested use Roncli's scoring system when you play a whole game and win. If you are stopped because the computer takes the lead, then the runs you scored count as the final score. So, better win those games :)

So, we need to find out if players should be awarded for winning by the Mercy Rule or not, and if yes, how? When that's done, we can proceed going through all the Baseball games, changing the scores according to the new rules.

Bye.
Frankie
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

The poll is over, and it was decided to stop the game when it ends by Mercy Rule. The question now is, should we award players for winning by the Mercy Rule? Suggestions please.
No suggestions, so we'll use Roncli's scoring system, without awarding the player for winning by the Mercy Rule.

If any of you have anything to say about my suggestions on how to score the different types of games, as mentioned in my previous post, then speak up now, before its to late :)
Frankie