Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

X'ain'd Sleena

Post by gameboy9 »

http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/dtr_xsle ... _win61.zip

Can we expediciously zero out this score for infinite leeching? :)
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Certainly looks like leeching to me. Got bored quickly, so I didn't see whether or not he actually finished the game.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

yeah those replays where someone just sits in one spot killing enemies for 5 minutes are a bit boring to watch, i wish people would just get on with the game when I watch those, sadly its sometimes hard to judge which is going to be the 'best' replay to watch on a game because the higher point ones have people who stay around to kill what they can before the time runs out, wheresas the lower point ones are much nicer to watch but could be missed if people think the highest point ones are going to be the best .. unless there all watched or someone explicitly states 'point maximising' its impossible to know .. frustrating.

I'm not denying the skills of the players, in many cases it is the most skillful players that do this, and it does get them the most points, if anything I wish game companies wouldn't have made games which gave you the chance to tho :-p

btw if anyone cares both puzzloop and senknow will need splitting assuming they're in .62 when it comes out, just an advance notice ;-) no idea when it'll be coming out.
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

user opinion

Post by wuzel »

hej! destructor is my firend form my country and we both posting our high socres at marp.
leeching is bad but sometimes is nice because u have 2 find a spot to leech and sotetimes its not that simple.
maybe (only my suggestion) the first score with leechine like that in xain sleena sholud be confirmed???
adn one more tihng: without destructor work (2 and a half hour play) we would never know that there is an extra life for each enemy killed just before 999990
im not defendind leecheers but.....
he can finished that game (as he did in this inp) without leeching but u have 2 say that socre is huge :-)

greetings
PS: waiting for opinion about my trojan
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Sure I am aware that this is a kind of leeching, but came on - this is
very interesting recording though. Without it who will know that just
before the counter stops there is a bug in a game - the number of
lives you can get is practically not bounded. For each killed you earn
extra live (Hey - the same story was with Defender by Williams).
What's more, you should know that if you had have too much extra man
then you would have been unable to do this leeching strategy (you
can't earn extra lives :!: ). Anyway, It can be easily seen that I try to keep
number of extra lives at the same level.
BTW: I do finished this game in this recording.

Admit that this is nice recording though, and revealing a couple of
secrets of the game. I could keep it for myself, but I want to share
those with you guys.
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

Good reply :-) good work des

sometimes leeching can be helpful :-)
DaviL
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DaviL »

I can't beleave how the Marp.retrogames can put this record in the high score.
I have the old 1 record, I think I must be still number 1.
I perfectly know of this bug in the game, I discover it in 1987 when I play it in a Bar and I was able to finishe the 5 planet this only 1 life.
I don't use this technic in my record simply becouse this is NOT the spirit of a regular game.
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re..

Post by AL »

Well said . I agree .

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
JoustGod
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by JoustGod »

I agree with DaviL, also. While destructor's recording finishes the game, there has been an agreement here at MARP about leeching and its consequences. The fact that destructor's game reveals a bug does not mean that the score should count for leadership on this title. This type of recording is generally filed in another section of MARP where bugs of this nature can be viewed and appreciated. The only suggestion I could make for this is for destructor to record a game without the leeching.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

DaviL. I've watched your inp for Xaind Sleena. Good work but u also do the leeching at the same place as I did :) . U havent scored as many points as I but if u want my inp to be deleted tell me what is the higher limit of scoring point at this place. I could loose one life more only 2 beat your score but u could do the same and on and on... until we reach 9999990!!!. Same situations takes place in the game 'Contra'.
DaviL
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DaviL »

Mmmm.... I think you watch my reply and learn, than decide tu use the technic for your record (if you can tell record).
If you watch better you'll see I lose 3 life here.
2 time I wait time over because I have very low energy and i would be kill fast and with them the power-up that is at the finish of the stage. 1 time i still have low energy but try to advance but dead for my error.
However i think a bug can be use if you discover it. But a leeching game I can't understand. I think babies play in this mode.
I still can't believe how a player can put a so leeching game in top Score.
I think Marp must set some rule here(es. dip switch game time fast, Bonus life 30-80-80) so nobody can stay 2 hours to leeching.
I still don't understand how the staff( that is wonderfull) can have accepted this score. Is like i take infinite time in Ghost'n'goblin and do 10.000.000 points.

Bye
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

I think... special rules is good idea. For example: play only first 3 lives (after lose third life ESC) or game time fast or bonus life 30-80 only.

DaviL I don't watch your inp before I find this leeching method.

In the bar I finished Xain'd Sleena 1 life on difficulty hardest, game time normal and bonus life 30-80.
DaviL
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DaviL »

Ah I forget.
To prove wath I said in last topic to prove that I don't leeching, people can watch my record at Solar Warrior... I have a lot of energy and so I don't lose any live in the leeching point in red planet. This is strategy.

All 2 record was made more than 1 years ago, in the same period so no doubt.

For the future when I have time I'll send too a 9.999.999 record by leeching.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

In my opinion, break the record 1356590 on Xain'd Sleena is impossible without leeching. Look at RYGAR :) "battle of leeching".

Info for DaviL:
If you want do 9999990 on xsleena: my game time = 2,5 hours leeching + remainder time to finished game. Good luck.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

destructor wrote:In my opinion, break the record 1356590 on Xain'd Sleena is impossible without leeching. Look at RYGAR :) "battle of leeching".
Okay, I haven't actually looked at this Xain'd Sleena recording yet (I will tonight), but to compare it to Rygar is ridiculous.

This Xain'd Sleena leeching can obviously be done infinitely until you max out the score. If you continually get free lives through leeching, then it's something that should be banned.

In Rygar, you don't get any extra lives through score after 500k. They're only given out on designated levels, and even then they don't seem to show up every time. Hence, leeching in that game is a lot riskier, especially since one hit is death. Yes, the highest score in that game boils down to who can get away with the most leeching, but it's much more riskier than this crap on Xain'd Sleena sounds...