Psikyo maintenance codes

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Should using maintenance codes be allowed to enable secret characters for Psikyo games?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:43 pm

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 6

mahlemiut
Editor

Psikyo maintenance codes

Post by mahlemiut »

In Strikers 1999 and Gunbird 2, there are maintenance codes that do various stuff, but in particular, they can enable secret characters/planes.

I am unsure if the secret character are enabled by default in Gunbird 2 or not, but they definitely aren't in Strikers 1999. From what I've heard, it is not uncommon for the secret characters to be enabled in arcades, if the pic that BBH has is anything to go by. :)

Here is a list of the codes, taken from a post Haze made on the MAME forum:

--- Gunbird 2 ---
Maintenance Codes:
5-3-5-7-3 All Data Initialised

5-3-7-6-5 Sit an AINE Flag1
Displays "AINE ?" at test, Extra character on Random Box only.
5-1-0-2-4 Sit an AINE Flag2
Displays "AINE OK" at test, Use Aine by pressing "Down" on random box
5-3-1-5-7 AINE Flag Cancelled
Clears Aine from being playable

5-2-0-4-8 Maintenance Mode
Stage Select (Loads of cool stuff here)
Obj Test
BG Test
Play Status
Stage Status

--- Strikers 1945 III / S1999 ---

8-1-6-5-0 Maintenance Mode
0-1-9-9-9 Secret Command Enabled (press up on ? for secret plane)
8-1-6-3-0 Secret Random Enabled (secret plane is in random box)
8-1-6-2-0 Secret All Disabled
8-1-6-1-0 All Data Erased
1-2-3-4-5 Reset Scores
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

if the secret characters (which are disabled by default btw) give an unfair advantage over any of the normally selectable characters I'd say no, otherwise it'd be obvious to use them and none of the others. If they don't then fair enough.
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

Haze wrote:if the secret characters (which are disabled by default btw) give an unfair advantage over any of the normally selectable characters I'd say no, otherwise it'd be obvious to use them and none of the others. If they don't then fair enough.
I agree with you Haze, but what about the random "?" on strikers 1999? (example) I mean if the secret characters (the plane x-36 on this game) is not to be allowed by using the code due to advantages, what are we going to do with the "?" then? I mean if you try it time after time you will finally get that ship on the "?" anyway.. should that be disallowed too then?
The x-36 is the best plane no doubt, and the player that has some skill and using that plane will prolly get the highest score.

On strikers 1945+ there is a way of getting the "Accender" by using a certain joy+button combination. Is that allowed or not? (On strikers 1945+ the Accender sucks so it is not advantage, but anyway..)
Actually this is a tricky question :)

Opinions please! :)
QRS
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Actually, I don't think you can get the X-36 through the random box by default either.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

you can't, theres one code for enabling them on the random box so you could get it by chance, another code for enabling them if you press up / down on the random box. by default its impossible to get them.
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

Ahh ok. I thought that you could get it at the random thingie without that codes.

Cheers.
QRS
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

it's weird, I've played on three different Strikers 1945 III machines that all had the X-36 selectable by pushing Up on the random box. It makes it seem like it would've been selectable by default to me.