Ban side-firing leech technique on tndrcade,tndrcadj?

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Ban P@Team2ch's side-firing technique on final screen of tndrcadj,tndrcade?

yes, ban it
77%
no ban
15%
don't ban it, for now, at least: i want to try it out for an hour or three 'cause it looks like fun!
8%

Total votes: 13

horsie
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Ban side-firing leech technique on tndrcade,tndrcadj?

Post by horsie »

At the end of Thundercade (tndrcade, tndrcadj) it's possible to prolong your game, and grow your score, indefinitely, with little skill. This is done by using a horizontal-firing weapon (picked up earlier) which allows you to destroy the waves of enemies as they appear from each side on the final screen.

The game by P@Team2ch.jp employs this technique. He could have gone on far longer but just completes the game at approx 2 million points. Previous games by him haven't used this particular technique. He had instead used normal leeching to maximise scoring (as is expected on this game).

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... 00&tourn=0

As you can see, so long as the player avoids deliberately destroying the last man on the reactor he can repeatedly shoot the waves of enemies in the same manner (side-ways) and increase the score indefinitely.

Since First Place on this game can probably now be traded only by players using the technique, for ever-increasing lengths of time, should the technique be banned?
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Re: ban side firing leech on tndrcade and clones

Post by LordGaz »

I vote no ban of course. If you were to walk into an arcade and employ this technique at the end of the game, is the arcade manager going to walk up to you and say "sorry sir that leeching technique is banned, please stop using it"? Probably not.

My point is that only the score you achieve should count no matter how you get it. If that means it becomes a battle of who can be bothered to sit there and move up and down and tap the fire for the longest with zero skill then so be it, it is a problem for whoever made the game rom. If someone wants to hack the rom so that leeching is not possible and submit the hacked rom to the MAME team to include in the next version then that is a better solution.

My twopenneth cheers, LordGaz.
mahlemiut
Editor

Re: ban side firing leech on tndrcade and clones

Post by mahlemiut »

LordGaz wrote:I vote no ban of course. If you were to walk into an arcade and employ this technique at the end of the game, is the arcade manager going to walk up to you and say "sorry sir that leeching technique is banned, please stop using it"? Probably not.
I betcha the arcade manager wouldn't exactly be thrilled either.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

Well this is not an arcade, nor is it TG (as many people like to compare it too) The main purpose with this site is to show skill, and learn from watching others play. Otherwise we could just upload screenshots right?

Who wants to sit and watch a recording that lasts for hours on the same spot? Not many.. let those recordings be where they belong.. on the tricks page.

That is MY opinion

Cheers.
QRS
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

i agree such techniques are boring as hell, and utterly useless if i want to say watch a game through for graphical glitches.

as for submitting / adding a hacked romset thats stupid.

the arcade manager might not come up to you and kick you off .. but some people around you might get mighty pissed off and knock your head off instead.

clear exploits of such scoring methods make the skill of the player unrelated to the score obtained, it kills competition, it makes the replays useless and uninteresting, yes its interesting in the sense that such an exploit has been found in the game, but abusing it to the point of killing the competition in the game is absurd.

its not too dissimilar to say people who sell items on ebay which are infact a chance to win an item, or instructions on how to buy an item, if you read the fineprint you'd see the crap, nothing wrong with the auctions, they state whats happening, but they're bound to trick, confuse, and anger people, just like the false skill implied by the score you see on marp for these games where such leeching techniques have been exploited.
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

here we go again :-)
i voted NO :-)
i became a non leeching player :-)
PS: at particular games :-)
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »