Boulder Dash (Japan) part 1

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Boulder Dash (Japan) part 1

Post by destructor »

In Boulder Dash japan version extra lives are after 200 diamonds (world version after 400). I submit my inp to MARP(japan part1). This inp isn't finished (I press ESC) because I do leeching on stage 3-4 where is 189 diamonds :!: (extra life after 200). I enter to stage 3-4 with 16 lives :!: Then to my total death I must play 290 times * 2 minuts (time on stage 3-4) = 580 minuts(9,6 hours) :!: In dipswitches isn't switch to set number of diamonds to gain extra lives. :?
I think special rules are needed to japan Boulder Dash part 1, but I don't know what special rules.
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

Worldwide manifestation : SAY NO 2 L33CHERS :-)

lol

PS: merry christmas brachu - wszystkiego najdluzszego :-)
Blost
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Re: Boulder Dash (Japan) part 1

Post by Blost »

destructor wrote:In Boulder Dash japan version extra lives are after 200 diamonds (world version after 400). I submit my inp to MARP(japan part1). This inp isn't finished (I press ESC) because I do leeching on stage 3-4 where is 189 diamonds :!: (extra life after 200). I enter to stage 3-4 with 16 lives :!: Then to my total death I must play 290 times * 2 minuts (time on stage 3-4) = 580 minuts(9,6 hours) :!: In dipswitches isn't switch to set number of diamonds to gain extra lives. :?
I think special rules are needed to japan Boulder Dash part 1, but I don't know what special rules.
Why am i not that surprised from a poleech player ;)

Well, this has already been discussed on the old message board, but i can't seem to find any traces of it while searching.
Anyway, we agree not to leech at this level (there's another leeching spot in part2 also) but there were no "special rules" links at this time....

Edit : found the old threads at last.
see there:
viewtopic.php?t=7497&highlight=bould%2A
viewtopic.php?t=7552&highlight=bould%2A
viewtopic.php?t=7630&highlight=bould%2A
Donut
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Donut »

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2001 10:00 am Post subject: Boulderdash voting time

OK - hearing all debate from all of the boulderdash competitors, we will vote on three motions.

1. To ban the leeching of world 3-4 from the Boulderdash Japan romset. I vote aye here.

2. To ban the leeching of world 3-4 from the Boulderdash US set. I vote no here because the extra life constant is much higher (400) than the Japan set (200).

3. To allocate for special MARP scoring adding 100,000 points for any extra lives remaining. I will abstain from this vote.

If I have the world incorrect, my apologies, but I think you know what world I'm talking about :)

All in favor of one motion or another will signify by saying "aye", specifying which motion you are voting for. All opposed to one motion or another will signify by saying "no", specifying which motion you are voting for. Pursuant to the MARP standing rules, this is a seven-day vote that will expire September 14 at 2359 GMT. GB9
--
goldengameboy@yahoo.com
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 10:00 am

On these votes (sorry for my lateness):

1. The ayes are 7, the nays are 0. The motion carries and this
leeching is banned.

2. The ayes are 5, the nays are 2. The motion carries and this
leeching is also banned.

3. The ayes are 0, the nays are 6. This motion is lost.

I will carry out the two passed motions. GB9
--
goldengameboy@yahoo.com
Because of this vote (on part 2) I move to have the inp at http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/dtr_boul ... _win62.zip edited to zero.

Donut
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

OK. I delete my inps. But write about banned techniques in special rules will be useful, because I don't know about this voting when I play on Boulder Dash.
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

Yeah I agree with that. The special rules has to be uptated on a lot of games.
QRS
Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Barthax »

Perhaps it may be an idea to add links to online translators for the special rules? :D
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

And I think, if an inp broke a Special Rule not wroted for a game, this inp don't be deleted. We can't dream an old Special Rule if it's not writed. A rule must be easy to find by all.
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

Francois Daniel wrote:And I think, if an inp broke a Special Rule not wroted for a game, this inp don't be deleted. We can't dream an old Special Rule if it's not writed. A rule must be easy to find by all.
So for new games, the first players who find bugs and leeching methods can use them because there was no Special Rules link made because no one knew about the bug and the leeching method? I think not, when a Special Rule is made, all already uploaded recordings breaking those rules will be zeroed :)
Frankie
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Ok I will edit the special rules link soon, as the leeching technic has been banned by vote

But just before, I have an idea which could avoid leeching and reward skillful inputs :
if game is finished, we could add a special bonus which would be (10-nb lifes lost)x1000000

What do you think ?
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

If bonus on finish, I think number lifes x 100000, not (10-nb lifes lost)x1000000, because number conquered lives is important too (depend from collect diamonds, collect hidden extra lives).
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

I think that special rules "play only first 5 lives" is good idea. Then can leeching etc., but after lost 5 lives press ESC.
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

In any case, I prefer the '5 lives only' rule than a rule who break the real scoring system.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

I think it's time to poll vote.
My proposal is (number life after finish game) * 1000000 and banned leeching on stage 3-2 in part2, or(10-nb lost life)*1000000.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

I still prefer special bonus = (10-nb lifes lost)x1000000 if game is finished

Advantages:
I think a good player at this game can easily beat the game in 1 life, which would add 10millions to real score ... not a big change to real scoring, François, it means only adding a "1" behind the real score ; and it both prevents us from leeching and allow us to watch inputs beating this puzzle game in 1 life ; and to improve future hiscores, the only thing to do (the more exciting on this type of games IMO) would be to find the best way to complete each stage for more points but/and WITHOUT LEECHING