WCC week 9 : PSPIKES2 -- important : read this first

Week Challenge Championship board

Moderator: NotMan

Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

WCC week 9 : PSPIKES2 -- important : read this first

Post by Phil Lamat »

Game for week 9 is Power Spikes II (pspikes2)

I have several things to point out on this game :

1°) before m35 final, game wasn't correctly emulated as cpu wasn't able to
smash after a pass (watch sportsdude's 46750) or even to return (cronos' 53310 made with m35b12
is very eloquent : watch it and you will see it was very easy to finish the game with a previous version than m35final) ;
for these reasons I think an editor must zero these two inputs while I will update in "special rules"
that this game has to be played with 35final or later

2°) when your game is over, you can enter your name but you will have to wait about half a
minute to read your final score ; for WCC I will ask you 2 things :
* wait the score, take a screenshot of it and put it in your zip file
* to reach this screen, DO NOT PRESS F10 (it would affect results given by speed checker)

3°) at the beginning, you can choose between hyperleague (with power bars) or world men/women (with scores : first
to 15 with 2pts more, or first to 17) ; I will ask you for WCC to choose men/women because it is more easy to check scores
and you will see for having practice it myself that it is more enjoyable ; those 3 seem to have same scoring anyway

Thanks for attention and good luck
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

INFO : round 9 still ends thursday at 23:59gmt, but I will be able to update rankings on my page and to give game for round 10 (last round !) only friday, because I won't be at home thursday night
Slawek (SLA)

Power Spikes

Post by Slawek (SLA) »

Well, I prefer Power Spikes (pspikes) than Power Spikes II (pspikes2) becouse the first one is much playable... But there is something strange with system of getting points... I finished today Power Spike in this way: 15:12, 15:13, 15:12, 15:13, 15:13... and my score is 112,200...
Hm... I know I can play volleyball better but... your record is 141,570...
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Don't complain Leslaw : your robotron hi is 30x mine and your zookeep is 60xmine !! :)

Seriously I also slightly prefer pspikes 1, but I've chosen pspikes 2 because nobody has finished it with a correct version ;
concerning pspikes scoring, you have to know that some shots like lob smashes are more rewarded than hit smashes (first time I finish the games -only by hitting smashes- I also made around 117000)
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

But the zookeep is kinda leeching on the coconut round. ;) But he still walked the walk and played well on the higher levels, kicking ass all over. Wish I was that good at one of my favorite games. :)
-roncli
[Poor sig. :P --SarcasmCli]
Slawek (SLA)

Post by Slawek (SLA) »

...you have to know that some shots like lob smashes are more rewarded than hit smashes... - wrote Phil

Maybe MARP should ignore points given by Power Spikes programers and propose special scoring system like in soccer games... Why blocks are not more rewarded than spikes?... In real volleyball there is only one point for block, one for hit smashes, even "only" one for lob...

But the zookeep is kinda leeching on the coconut round. - wrote roncli

Yeah... I wrote an e-mail to cubman (you must know the man) in this case... When I was a Zoo Keeper confirmer on the latest MAME Olympiad and I decided that players should play with just one jump on each coconuts stage permitted... So, I made the fabulous score 12,083,500 without any 300,000 jump on coconuts stages!!!

I tell you know that my own record is 44 jumps per 300,000 (what gives 13,200,000 on the first coconuts stage) and I'm still working on it...
But when players gain a lot of points on the coconuts stage the
animals on rounds (later on) are more difficult to beats...

Now on MARP there are scores made using mixed methods... and the greatest is on set 2 - 16,018,530 (with 27 jumps per 300,000 = 8,100,000)...

Well... Also I think nobody knows how the arcade records on Zoo Keeper were made (especially the great Jack Gale's score: 20,063,920, which is my next goal) - see TG site...

Well, I must tell I'm really so so at Zoo Kepper :P
[/i]
Slawek (SLA)

Post by Slawek (SLA) »

Well Phil, there is work for moderator above... Please cut off the last (guest) post... It was made by mistake...

Post by Guest »

I'd love to see a 20 million game, and if I can work up my ability again, I might just make a run at it. It's a fun game. :)
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

I'm not a guest. Really.
-roncli
Slawek (SLA)
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Slawek (SLA) »

Well, Phil... Game for week 10 will be Zoo Kepper (zookeep), I suppose... :wink:
Slawek (SLA)
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Slawek (SLA) »

Anonymous wrote: ...and if I can work up my ability again, I might just make a run at it...
Are you Jack Gale?
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

Nope. Once upon a time there was a ZooKeeper machine on the street corner, and I played it a lot. Got quite good at it. Not 12mil good, but still could hold my own, get a few bonus keepers before getting mauled to death by a mid-valued lion. :)

Now that I've seen some of your tricks, I think I might be able to pull off a marathon game. I've tried the coconut stage leech, that's hard as hell!! I don't know how you do it consistantly.
-roncli
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

Slawek (SLA) wrote:Well Phil, there is work for moderator above... Please cut off the last (guest) post... It was made by mistake...
Done...
Chris Gushue
MARP IRC/Forum Maintainer
http://gushue.net
Slawek (SLA)
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Slawek (SLA) »

Once upon a time there was a ZooKeeper machine on the street corner, and I played it a lot - wrote roncli

Well, in Poland there was no Zoo Keeper arcade machines... :cry:

I'm preparing now my home site which will include special section on Zoo Keeper... I'll put there my records on a particular achievements like "the highest number of 300,000 jumps on each coconuts stage", "the highest number of captured lions" and so on... I'll be gather information about those achievements... and maybe announce the annual competitions on Zoo Keeper in different disciplines...

It's ABSOLUTELY my favourite game... I found it due to Deca 2001...

----------------------------------
Thnx, seymour for done...
Slawek (SLA)
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Slawek (SLA) »

And LeClaqueurFou won the round 9 and probably won the WCC...
But one can beat his score (45,240) ...