Baseball Scoring System

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

How should we score Baseball games? Explanations to each scoring system is included below in the thread.

Poll ended at Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:29 pm

Scoring System No. 1
39%
Scoring System No. 2
17%
Scoring System No. 3
44%

Total votes: 18

Frankie
Editor

Baseball Scoring System

Post by Frankie »

Well, it's time to start the Baseball Scoring System poll. The scoring systems will follow below. Please read them carefully, and if you have any questions about one or more of them, then ask. I'm sure the guys behind each scoring system will answer your questions.

This poll win run for 10 days as there might be a lot of questions, especially if you didn't follow the Baseball debate thread.

Please remember that it has been decided in another poll that we'll play a whole game of nine innings in Baseball games from now on, no matter how many credits that takes.

Okay, here we go. I've contacted all 3 guys and asked them to send me these informations about their scoring systems: 'Some examples of scores to help people see how the scoring system works, some explanation if they think that's needed and finally the ups and downs of their scoring system.'

The following is what they wrote back.

----------

Scoring System No.1 by Roncli:

100 for a win, 50 for a draw, and 0 for a loss. If you win, add the point difference to the score.

Player 5, Computer 5 - 50 points for a draw.
Player 40, Computer 0 - 100 points for a win plus 40 points difference, 140 total.
Player 0, Computer 40 - 0 points for a loss.
Player 40, Computer 20 - 120 points for a win plus 20 points difference, 120 total.

----------

Scoring System No.2 by Skito:

For all rules from the last poll: at least 9 innings of defence must be played. Extra Innings playing is required as real Baseball, new game (credit) is required (to play more extra innings) if mame game ends in tie.

100*RunsScored/RunsAllowed; If a Shutout occurs (No RunsAllowed) then 1000*RunsScored

Advantages: punishes well for defensive mistakes to prevent people from ignoring defense play and concentrating on getting points from offense. Eliminates ambiguous ties than the Points difference method: (RunsScored-RunsAllowed) would reward tie the two scores (10-0 and 11-1) equally. Giving up a run is obviously more lame as getting an extra run is difficult.

Disadvantages: awards defense a little more than offence. 1-0 game would be scored more than a 2-1 game, i.e. it goes under the assumpiton it is easier to score runs than it is to give them up. Still doesn't eliminate all ties 4-2 would be the same as 2-1.

----------

Scoring System No.3 by Matt Denham:

Formula: 1000 * (player's score + 1) * (player's score - computer's score) / (loser's score + 1)

Examples:

Player 8, Computer 3: 1000 * (8+1) * (8-3) / (3+1) = 11,250
Player 6, Computer 0: 1000 * (6+1) * (6-0) / (0+1) = 42,000
Player 11, Computer 1: 1000 * (11+1) * (11-1) / (1+1) = 60,000
Player 4, Computer 14: 1000 * (4+1) * (4-14) / (4+1) = -10,000
Player 5, Computer 6: 1000 * (5+1) * (5-6) / (5+1) = -1000
Player 0, Computer 1: 1000 * (0+1) * (0-1) / (0+1) = -1000

Pros: Ties are almost impossible, and, for the most part, final scores are relatively logical (shutouts are worth the most of any game where you score a certain number of runs, and games are worth more the more runs you score).

Cons: Games where the player loses are worth negative amounts of points (and losses by N runs are worth simply N*(-1000)).

----------

Now ask if you have questions, but please consider twice before voting.
Frankie
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

Sorry, must've neglected the last part. :)

Scoring system #1:

Pros: Awards offense equally to defense, as does real baseball.

Cons: Allows for ties to occur.
-roncli
[Poor sig. :P --SarcasmCli]
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

More information than given above:

Scoring System #1:

pros: simple familiar formulae

cons: people will not not be challenged to improve defense score when all they have to do is score more offensive point than defensive points to beat another opponent. I.E. someone scores 10-6, i can beat this score with 20-15 and i don't have to play defense. It's not how real baseball is scored. there are no draws in baseball. real baseball is scored 1 for a win and 0 for a loss and doesn't matter how you win. In marp's case, it does matter *how* you win.

Scoring System #2:
pros: cons: see above

Scoring System #3:

pros: has advantages of #2
cons: complex formulae
-skito
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Definitely #1 for me : it's the more simple, and we're already using it in several games (gghost-hattrick)
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

Phil Lamat wrote:Definitely #1 for me : it's the more simple, and we're already using it in several games (gghost-hattrick)
Yes, but only because we can't do better with those. I believe No.1 gives to many ties.
Frankie
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

Chad's visited the thread, but hasn't voted? :lol:
-roncli
MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by MDenham »

roncli wrote:Chad's visited the thread, but hasn't voted? :lol:
...and there's only six votes so far?
CMP
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

okay all

Post by CMP »

I am sorry but I dont like any of those three, but I pose a seperate question

Championship Baseball (champbas) doesn't allow you to continue quarters so what there???

Why not scoreA-scoreB or something simple... why do we always have to go for something totally difficult? :roll:
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

i think what you are refering to is Scoring Method #1 a points difference thing. But simplicity (i.e. scoring a racing game on stages completed alone and not time) sometimes doesn't take all the effort put into a game and reflect it's scoring. Which is why there are slightly more complicated alternatives to reward people who can actually place defence AND offense well, not just who are very good at offense alone.

We do welcome new scoring ideas, especially if this poll ends in a draw. And of course some baseball games that don't allow you to play 9 innings we will have to make exceptions for...

Roncli: i did vote just not for my own method :x ,
-skito
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

Championship Baseball has it's own scoring method. The result of this poll, as well as the "continue" poll, does not apply to that game.

If this ends in a non majority, do what I did for brick break. Drop the lowest ranked item and start the poll again with the survivors.

"You are the weakest link. Goodbye!" :)
-roncli
MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by MDenham »

roncli wrote:Championship Baseball has it's own scoring method. The result of this poll, as well as the "continue" poll, does not apply to that game.

If this ends in a non majority, do what I did for brick break. Drop the lowest ranked item and start the poll again with the survivors.

"You are the weakest link. Goodbye!" :)
/me votes Ron off the island
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

So far looks like Chad'll be first. :P hehehe :)
-roncli
xanadu71
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by xanadu71 »

Well, in France, Baseball isn't a national sport but an anonymous and strange beast 8O . But i think that scoring method 3 is the best. It seems to be more realistic. It scores like other games. The first method will make too many ties. Sorry Roncli :? And the second is so difficult.
But it's just my opinion... :lol:
"Bury me with my money", Simon GREEDWELL from "SUNSET RIDERS" / Xanadu71=LeClaqueurFou
http://www.twitch.tv/xanadugcp WR attempts, follow me !
MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by MDenham »

...and it's really looking tight here between choices 1 and 3...
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

2nd choice was the best one.After all,it's not easy not give any point to the opponent in any game.Pitiful that people prefer to do difficult math operations...