Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

HAL-9OOO
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Something bizarre with inp files !!!

Post by HAL-9OOO »

Hi !!
Maybe something is wrong or i don't understand, i'm a newbie.
I dowload the inp file from Neil Chapman for the Ms Pac-Man original game.
His score is 379,170 but when i check the video this is not the samething.
On the video he die on the first level ..... !!!
Can you explain this ?
thanks
HAL-9OOO :-)
kfx
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by kfx »

What MAME version are you using?

The score was recorded in MAME 35 beta 13, so that version should be used for playback.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

You should be using the same MAME version that was used to record it. You can download that version if you need it from the 'get MAME' link under the INP download link.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

thanks for posting... usually if you have a playback problem (and are pretty sure no one else can play it back i.e. it hasn't been confirmed "orange" on marp yet.) you can post to the Playbackability Thread Group and include the url of the file you are trying to playback. like this:

http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/nc_mspac ... m35b13.zip

and like the others have replied you're proly tried playing the recording back with a new version (such as mame61) when the recording will most likely really only work with the old mame version 35b13.
-skito
HAL-9OOO
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by HAL-9OOO »

I use the same version of mame and the roms that goes with it.
Actually 32-35b13.
The video run well. The game is simply not the same as the player claims. And the score is in red that supposed the game is verified.
Somebody else can check this inp files and confirmed that soemthing is wrong please ???
Thanks !
HAL-9OOO
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

I know i've played it back fine before in DOS MAME, have never tried MAME32 though. :)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

yea if it were mame32-35b13 the mame version would be win35b13 but it's m35b13 so it's the dos version, many of the times you must play back wtih the same platform as recorded in. I just played it back fine with dos mame too, damn it's incredible how neil knows how to control the ghost movements to his advantage!
-skito
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Yea, I was quite amazed. And that's with a keyboard, too. :) Imagine what he could do with a Joystick!
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

I soooo wish I could play DOS MAME. Then I would take a crack at the slow version of Ms. Pac too. :(
-roncli
[Poor sig. :P --SarcasmCli]
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Huh? Why can't you take a crack at it with MAME32?
HAL-9OOO
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by HAL-9OOO »

Thanks everybody !
But i don't know how to run dos mame ..... :cry:
HAL-9OOO
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by HAL-9OOO »

I install arcadeathome to run dos mame and i finally see this very good player. I'm a good player too and i enjoy to watch this guy !!!
thanks !!
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

I have tried normal speed ms. pac but still have control issues even at that speed. I am amazed at how some of you can control so well with the keys. I think I do ok with other games but then try something like the mspac-fast or any other "fast" pacman and have such control problems it's almost pointless. I keep thinking I will improve on my controls though. I have got to practice my new key setup for those games that allows me to have an up-down wiggle. I often die when I am trying to wiggle to prevent myself from running into the back of a ghost and end up running into them anyway or the ghost behind me. This is crucial for the "banana" boards for the lower-left energizer where you often wiggle to get behind the brown dude and follow him in. I almost think once I reach the slow boards it might be a tad easier for control because at least I wouldn't have to worry about running into the back of any ghosts.

I will try and post a 200+k score though. I currently am "working" on submitting scores for other games. My personal high on Ms. Pac from the early 80s is 320,000. I remember 1 night though I rack advanced to the first set of slow junior boards and got 270k just on the slow boards. That was fun. I was really getting my clearing of the junior boards down. It was down to just surviving the initial pop(reverse) and positioning myself well for the second "pop". I still remember 95% of what I used to know when I played it like crazy in the early 80s.

Also the inp for it would require someone with a Mac to verify it. I tested a couple inps from here and they didn't play back correctly in MacMAME(the ghosts are in different locations) but it played back fine in mame in VirtualPC on my Mac :P I then tested a short ms pac inp from Macmame in dosmame and winmame and mame32 and same issue for all 3....monsters come out of the box differently at the beginning of the game.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Maybe a good suggestion: if you can stand recording with out sound, try recording with out sound on the mac and then see if it plays back ok with out sound on a windos machine. Oh for that matter, if you can test playing back on a windos machine why not record on that machine and not the mac ? :roll:
-skito
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Chad, he is using his Mac for the DosMAME and the such.