Minimum Voting Requirement

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Minimum Voting Requirement

Post by MDenham »

Since we've got people having issues with the 2/3 requirement (how many votes should it take before it's valid, etc.) I'd just like to call for a public vote on, well, how many votes does it take for it to qualify as a decent sampling?

BTW, since this vote would be a relatively important one, I'd just like to say the following things about it:

- It will last 21 days. That's right, THREE WEEKS. Seven days just won't give enough time for a decent sampling of people.

- The requirements for voting on this are the same as for any general election, seeing as how this has an extremely broad sweep. The only difference is the time frame:
  • You must have submitted your first recording before January 1, 2002;
  • You must have submitted at least one recording during the period from June 1-July 31.
The "1% of all games" requirement is unchanged.

Now for the effects of this vote:

- The following will be added to the Members' Rights:
C. Voting Requirements

1. All votes of this type will require a minimum of <the first number in the result> in order to come to a decision.

2. All votes for general elections will require a minimum of <the second number in the result> in order to come to a decision.
- In addition, the following changes will be made to the General Elections page:
II.D.1.a The voting will continue until the end of the second day, GMT, after the last vote is received that places the election over the minimum requirement.
II.D.1.b Tiebreakers will run from the beginning of the next day after the end of a regular election period until the end of the second 12-hour period, GMT (either 11:59 or 23:59), after the last vote is received that places the tiebreaker over the minimum requirement.
II.D.1.c (addition) The number of tiebreakers WILL BE LIMITED TO THREE. If no decision is reached after three tiebreakers, the election for that position (or group of positions) will be reopened.
This vote will begin on August 9 at 00:00 GMT, and will conclude August 29 at 23:59 GMT. (Since I don't qualify to vote, and, even if I did, don't have any real opinion on this... and who knows if GB9 is staying as the election coordinator... send votes to mdenham@rashidan.com. I'll forward them to the proper person if there are any complaints about this - I've got no urge to inspire controversy.) Your vote should be as follows:

- Subject: Minimum Voting Requirement
- Text: Two numbers, percentages, fractions, or other phrases denoting the number, percentage, or fraction of people required to make standard and general elections, respectively, valid.

Thank you all for bearing with me on this.

Matt Denham
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

I'm afraid that I'm extremly confused Matt. I think seven days lasts forever in the first place - I can't imagine what 21 days would be like. Maybe 14 days or 10 days... but...

The minimum vote requirement was at MARP before. A long long long... long long long time ago, in a place far far far... far far far away, when Angry pretty much ran the rules page, the minimum requirement before a vote closed was... ummm... I think it was if a vote was 7-0 or 8-0 then it passed right there, or the most votes after 10 votes won. If there was a tie, the 11th vote broke the tie.

I think just doing that or seven/ten/fourteen days, whichever comes last, should be sufficient.
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

Oh yeah - if you're insistent on an "election procedural" vote - the election coordinator at this time would be the current web maintainer, or Barry Rodewald. *dramatic music plays*

When it comes to elections, we'll have to figure out who's going to get the votes for editors though.
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by MDenham »

gameboy9 wrote:I'm afraid that I'm extremly confused Matt. I think seven days lasts forever in the first place - I can't imagine what 21 days would be like. Maybe 14 days or 10 days... but...

The minimum vote requirement was at MARP before. A long long long... long long long time ago, in a place far far far... far far far away, when Angry pretty much ran the rules page, the minimum requirement before a vote closed was... ummm... I think it was if a vote was 7-0 or 8-0 then it passed right there, or the most votes after 10 votes won. If there was a tie, the 11th vote broke the tie.

I think just doing that or seven/ten/fourteen days, whichever comes last, should be sufficient.
Sorry about the confusion.

Yeah, I know about the minimum vote requirement, but it's been lost for a year or two now... and we've been having people wondering why votes that come up, say, 4-1, 2-0, etc. are valid when they obviously don't represent an even slightly valid cross-section of MARP.

BTW, I wouldn't have any problem with tossing this vote out and reimposing the old system of minimum votes, or something like it - but it'd definitely require a change to the poll system here (not like we wouldn't need one anyway).
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Oh sure, dump it all on me. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer