What the "full 9-inning game" term actually means

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

What the "full 9-inning game" term actually means

Post by MDenham »

...Earlier tonight, Frankie uploaded a game (under Stadium Hero [stadhero]) that ended after 7 innings because of the mercy rule, and continued the game for an additional two innings (as a second game).

Somehow I doubt this is what was actually intended when we decided to allow full 9-inning games - but do we want to allow people to play out to nine innings in games that do have the mercy rule, or should we modify the scoring on these?
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

The ideal of continuing on a mercy rule to complete 9 innings is to comply with the 9 inning vote which explicitly allows multiple credits to continue to a full 9 inning game. Another good reason to do this is: If someone gets 10 runs int he first inning, and someone else gets 10 runns in 9 innings, that would be a tie if no special rule would be applied. But really the person who gets 10 in the first might have scored more runs in the later innings if they were allowed to play more innings to complete a full game.
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Just playing one whole games makes more sense to me. 10-0 is still 10-0 regardless of how long it took.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by MDenham »

Yeah. I was kinda of the opinion that you should be slightly penalized for going to extra innings, and should be rewarded for getting the mercy rule (not so much as to make, say, 15-0 in one inning worth more than 16-0 in any number of innings) - and since we have a scoring rule down now, can we just throw in the modifier of "add 9 minus the number of innings played"?
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

If you're allowed to continue the current game with a coin by the ROM, then that should be allowed by MARP. If the game is over and you're not allowed to continue the current game with a coin by the ROM, then that should be game over, and it's time to report your score. The inning number that happens in is simply irrelvent.
-roncli
[Poor sig. :P --SarcasmCli]
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I guess what I was comparing is not two 10-0 games: one ending in the 1rst inning and one ending in the 9th inning. I was comparing the 90-0 game the player who can trigger the Mercy rule in every inning, with the player who can can only get 1 run for innings 1-8 and 2 runs in the 9th.

You guys really think these two games should be scored 10-0 and 10-0, the time at which the score is when both get to the mercy rule? I don't get it... clearly the person who can score more runs in a 9 inning period deserves more?

I see the point if the mercy rule "end"s the game and thus maybe the game should be over, but previous baseball games were "ended" by lacking credits and now can be continued by adding credits; it seemed logical to continue a mercy rule end of game. Since, it is possible to continue to 9 innings with subseuqnt credits and get a better competition comparsion going, with out having to divide scores by innings played etc...
-skito
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

Well I gotta side with Barry on this one. But the DEFCON's starting to get a little low over here, especially after having a recording deleted. I have since went ahead and deleted the rest of my baseball recordings until things start to make some sense around here.

Not even starting to get into the large amount of holes that is presented in continuing a baseball game the ROM has deemed over and uncontinuable, there's the issue of making things more complex and harder on everyone under the banner of "being fair". Quite frankly, that concept doesn't make a lot of sense, and I'm glad the people who care have stood up and said that they don't want to think more than they have to about how to score their game when they submit it. Similarly, I don't think people want to think about how they need to play their game, they just want to play it.

When the game's over, the game's over. People understand this, and trying to change the concept of what is game over not only would confuse many people, but it would alter the very essence of the purpose behind playing a video game on MARP.

And that's not even considering the fundamental problems with continuing an uncontinuable baseball game. A game allowing you to continue is one thing. Continuing when you're not allowed is a whole different concept. When you continue when allowed, the game is not over, and is in the same state you left it in before you had to continue. But when you continue when the game does not allow you to presents all kinds of problems. Now, you have to take into account EVERYTHING. The number of outs, the order in the lineup (for both teams for that matter), who's on what base, etc. If you don't do this, there's no point in going on.

The mercy rule is designed to end the game. But all of a sudden, someone just decides to change it to mean the end of an inning instead. That's not what the mercy rule is for, and if you want to get technical, doesn't allow for a full 9 innings to be played, and thus the recording should get scrapped. No one wants 90-0 games where the computer doesn't get a chance to play offense at all.

I'm sorry if I seem like I'm shooting down your idea, but it really rubbed me the wrong way when my superior rbibb 11-1 game, mercied after <2 innings, was taken down in favor of a 9-4 complete game. Obviously, the 11-1 is a superior performance here, and the ROM deemed the game over and uncontinuable. Yet that wasn't good enough, either I had to continue the game by starting a new one and playing more innings, or I had to forfeit the recording.

That's just plain dumb.
-roncli
[Poor sig. :P --SarcasmCli]
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

11-1 was more than good enough, just "play through"... 9-4 is obviously worse than an 11-1 game, even if you were to score no runs in the final innings and give up 5 runs you could beat the 9-4.

The nearly unanimously decision was voted FOR to play 9 innings; Your recording didn't play 9 innings and was nuked. Dumb? no; warnings were given when baseball games were rsubmited with out a final scoring rule. If you want to make an exception to clarify mercy rules, please set up a new poll...

Eventually there will be progress made in these baseball things. Me and Frankie our doing our best on the interpretations but it still seems pretty clear to me what the current situation is at least with the mercy rules and the vote for 9 inning games.
-skito