2 recordnings for the same game.

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

kfx
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

2 recordnings for the same game.

Post by kfx »

Seems like Tombstones have 2 recordings in Wizard Of Wor, in 11 and 13 place. Seems rather strange.

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... 00&tourn=0
storm

cpu : P4 3gzh
SJK
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by SJK »

to add onto that CYM has 2 for Storm Blade but one he uses "CYM" and the other has "CYM."
- Smraedis
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

why do you have this '1 replay of each game per user' rule anyway, wouldn't it make more sense to allow more replays but only count the one with the best score.

my reasoning is fairly simple, highest score doesn't always mean most attractive gameplay, some games there are multiple ways of playing them, some methods may be interesting to watch but not yield as many points, therefore if someone creates a replay using such a method then later realises theres another, maybe less interesting way to score more points the old replay gets lost. some games have multiple routes through the games such as the darius ones, if its decided one route gives more points many people may never get to see some of the zones because everyone takes the route with the highest score, or if theres an expert player who can complete all the zones they can only upload one replay rather than multiple ones showing all the areas.

i know its not my page, but its something i don't really understand, surely it should just be up to the user to delete their old replays if they feel them 100% worthless.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Having categories for every single route in every single game would be a nightmare to manage. And then what's to stop people wanting to have scores for each and every character in every single fighter. I mean, we don't need 18 Shock Troopers recordings to know BBH would kick all our asses at any particular route. 2 is quite enough. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

mahlemiut wrote:I mean, we don't need 18 Shock Troopers recordings to know BBH would kick all our asses at any particular route. 2 is quite enough. :)
XD

/me feels like starting a poll
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

i wasn't suggesting actually having catagories for every single route, just allowing multiple recordings from the same person but only counting their single highest score. that way there could be recordings of all the different routes without having to have different catagories and without giving anyone an extra advantage.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

oh at first i thought you were suggesting multiple recordings in the same game (dushe.) But now i see what haze is saying, allowing multiple recordings for the same mame game.

Right now marp only "allows" one recording (the best recording) to be scored and searched. Older (worse scoring) recordings still exist in marp they just don't show up in searches and are zereoed. I don't think it would be easy to flip a switch and allow multiple recordings for the same game but as long as they (the worse scoring recs) don't contribute to the leader board that would be a great thing, althogh it might make things a little cluttery.
-skito
MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by MDenham »

Chad wrote:oh at first i thought you were suggesting multiple recordings in the same game (dushe.) But now i see what haze is saying, allowing multiple recordings for the same mame game.

Right now marp only "allows" one recording (the best recording) to be scored and searched. Older (worse scoring) recordings still exist in marp they just don't show up in searches and are zereoed. I don't think it would be easy to flip a switch and allow multiple recordings for the same game but as long as they (the worse scoring recs) don't contribute to the leader board that would be a great thing, althogh it might make things a little cluttery.
The other situation to deal with there (possibly) is the 85% scaling applied to each place - if these recordings aren't counting for LB points, but they're still taking up a place, then we might see Barry's "2nd place" on Shock Troopers dropping to 1 LB point. If we do start allowing multiple recordings by the same player to be shown, with the highest score being the only one to count towards the LB, I'd suggest getting rid of the scaling - in other words, a score at 90% of 1st is worth 90 LB points, not the 76 or 77 it is now.